What is the best way to display clothes ?

Just looking for opinions please.

I am just selling stuff from around the house including clothes my daughter no longer wears/wants.  I purchased a second-hand mannequin for $50 to sell clothes. She has a few scars but she serves the purpose. I haven't measured the mannequin but I am guessing she is about a size 8. Some of the clothes I am selling range from size 10 to 18, the larger sizes mostly being tops. My mannequin isn't as well endowed in the chest area as my daughter. If pants/shorts are too big around the waist, I use a bulldog clip to cinch them in for photos. I include flat lay measurements on all my listings. 

Do you think this is ok or should I not use the mannequin ?

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: What is the best way to display clothes ?

I totally agree - but within the OP was sizes - 10-18.

The mediums & 10's - 12's look great but put an 18 on a size 8 - not too sure.

DD when into sewing was given a mannequin - sewing thingy very vintage - that had a heap of screws etc - to adjust the size of the figure.

It's in the shed. lol

Message 11 of 37
Latest reply

Definitely the mannequin,  I use one even for the larger items.  You have it covered with all the measurement and that on your ads, a wooden ruler would make it look cluttered and yuk (technical term)

Message 12 of 37
Latest reply

Thank you very much. I put a lot of effort in, probably too much for the amount of visitors I get.

I have questioned why some people don't iron clothes before being listed.

Message 13 of 37
Latest reply

I don't sell clothing as a rule so you could be correct. But I did take advice from someone who has sold over 300 000 clothing items but then what would they know. Although their method could just be based on the fact they can't waste too much time dressing a mannequin each time as they are more interested in making some money. 

Message 14 of 37
Latest reply

Now I'm beginning to wonder - is this a bloke or sheila. LOL

Message 15 of 37
Latest reply

@brickworksmarket wrote:

I don't sell clothing as a rule so you could be correct. But I did take advice from someone who has sold over 300 000 clothing items but then what would they know. Although their method could just be based on the fact they can't waste too much time dressing a mannequin each time as they are more interested in making some money. 

And your point is,   It works very successfully for me,  

Message 16 of 37
Latest reply

I am more than happy to identify as which ever makes you more comfortable.

Message 17 of 37
Latest reply

I think your idea of successful may differ from mine but then I could be wrong. Although if it quacks like a duck, looks like a duck well it probably is a duck.

Message 18 of 37
Latest reply

I'm a buyer & personally, I like to see the clothes on the mannequins.

Shops use them all the time to give buyers an idea of what a garment would look like, so why wouldn't you, if you have one.

I checked out your ads. For example, the Ghanda ruched crop top.  The style of the top would not be as clear if you only laid it flat.

I think though with the larger sizes, things could backfire if you use bulldog clips to gather the tops etc too much at the back and make them look smaller. Try to echo the actual shape and size of the top if you can.

You get the chance to upload several photos so you can easily add some with the garment on a hanger or flat as well if you wish.

Message 19 of 37
Latest reply

I should have clarified I only use the bulldog clips on pants/shorts, not on tops. If I don't use the clips on pants, they just fall down ๐Ÿ˜„

Message 20 of 37
Latest reply