What is the best way to display clothes ?

Just looking for opinions please.

I am just selling stuff from around the house including clothes my daughter no longer wears/wants.  I purchased a second-hand mannequin for $50 to sell clothes. She has a few scars but she serves the purpose. I haven't measured the mannequin but I am guessing she is about a size 8. Some of the clothes I am selling range from size 10 to 18, the larger sizes mostly being tops. My mannequin isn't as well endowed in the chest area as my daughter. If pants/shorts are too big around the waist, I use a bulldog clip to cinch them in for photos. I include flat lay measurements on all my listings. 

Do you think this is ok or should I not use the mannequin ?

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

I would not recommend using a mannequin. Just use a large ruler on-top of the clothing to show measurements. 

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

I don't use the mannequin for measurements. I flat lay the piece of clothing & use a tape measure.

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

With the exception of the manniquins - most items are hung in stores.

I suggest a neutral background - to clearly show colour & fall of clothes.

Add more pics with items flat - both sides - any flaws - point out.

Add a description of the style & fabric.

Add measurements etc - ie - underarm - length - and don't forget to add stretch if the fabric does.

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

I would not use the mannequin for your listings. 

I also would use a large wooden ruler with large numbers for measurements and not a flexible tape measure. They are easier to use but the numbers need to be large print.

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

The question was ' displaying clothes '.

Pics of the item laying flat both sides.

Forget the large ruler - make the description count.

Shoulder to shoulder = ??

Shoulder to hem = ??

Underarm to underarm = ??

Sleeve Length from shoulder = ??

etc etc

Arrange the clothing as you personally would like to see it - if you were a buyer.

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

Well I disagree about the mannequin - I think it looks good on the listing I checked.    In fact I think the whole listing has been done well, plenty of information and measurements.    I don't think it's necessary to show photos of a tape across the garment, people are not stupid, if you give the measurements that should be enough.     I think a mannequin is a better look than having to resort to having it hanging on the door on a coathanger.

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

Thank you so much for actually looking at one of my listings & giving a positive response. With regards to photos with the measuring tape, I like to cover all bases, just to be sure.

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

I thought the mannequin lovely for the sizes displayed - but - as the OP stated 10 - 18.

When it gets to a size 18 - nup.

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

I prefer a mannequin. 

My pet peeve is clothing sellers who throw clothes on the floor to photograph, especially if they don't iron them.

OP seems to have all bases covered with measurements given - in the listing and pics with a tape.

Clothing sellers who come to these boards with questions are usually told to invest in a mannequin, rather than hanging them on the back of a door....or thrown on the floor.

I think the listings are good.

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply