What's the longest you've been without a sale?

qball28
Community Member
Me. I haven't sold anything since 5 th of February, things have listed 3 times in a row without selling. What am I doing wrong? It's pretty ridiculous.
Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: What's the longest you've been without a sale?

Slow for the last couple of weeks, worst ever in over a decade, on all 3 selling ids.

I am starting to run down for my off period anyway so don't really mind but things will have to pick up considerably by the time I come to reopen in November or I will be looking at alternatives.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

Yes, slowish than normal across two stores but still ticking along.
Mind you, it gives me a bit of an insight on how life with no sales would be so l'm starting to look further afield. Slow sales are just the kick up the behind l need to go out of my comfort zone and try new places.

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

@qball28 wrote:
Me. I haven't sold anything since 5 th of February, things have listed 3 times in a row without selling. What am I doing wrong? It's pretty ridiculous.

I am not listing as regularly now seems a bit of a waste of time

but I have as a matter of interest scrolled through many  random items under best match and find most categories the entire first page is products from china with the exception of a few

i think perhaps there is such an overload of this now on Ebay  that potential buyers just dont get to see our stuff unless they type in spacific key words that lead to an item by default

one item I had finishing in 8 minutes was 37 items down the list behind chinese things ending in 29 days

so there is a very good chance that no one is ever going to see an item under those conditions

also what pees me off is sponsor advertising on our page

if someone does take the time to click on your page they can very easily be led away without even seeing the details

I also agree with the lights on lights off theory that I have heard many sellers refer to on boards

It's pretty hard to play a good hand of card when they're stacked against you and the dealer is a cheat

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

Except for when I''ve shut down my store for a holiday - 3 days approx.

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

I agree with davewil1964. List more maybe?.

The longest I have gone is about a week or more, which has been this year, so its a very quiet time.

Its hard yakka! trying to find what works and what doesn't. 

Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

Best thing to do is to try alternative sites as well.

I have found a new website that has just opened for Australians, it is swapmeet.net.au and I have sold several items on there.

It is not yet widely known it is only been open for 3 months and there is not heaps of china stuff on there.

I try to tell as many people about the new site as possible because if we help them grow then it will be a great

place for  smaller sellers since Ebay are now looking after the big corps only.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***********Be PATRIOTIC use Aussie businesses!************
Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

A while. Sometimes things pick up, like I had something ridiculous like 3 sales in one week (yes, that's ridiculous for some sellers...) and then a long stretch of nothing for like two months. Things are changing now I'm doing more auctions.

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

@darre3808-jzkif wrote:

Best thing to do is to try alternative sites as well.

I have found a new website that has just opened for Australians, it is swapmeet.net.au and I have sold several items on there.

It is not yet widely known it is only been open for 3 months and there is not heaps of china stuff on there.

I try to tell as many people about the new site as possible because if we help them grow then it will be a great

place for  smaller sellers since Ebay are now looking after the big corps only.

I think this part is having a go at eBay,tease.gif

note: we DON'T charge final value fees on postage and handling charges

Movies > DVD section had 5 listings,(at least my DVD's would be visible,but it still doesn't mean they'll sell

there).

Can't be any worse then slowsales as I've had listings there for two months and have sold one item,(I had to

reduce the price for it to sell and got less for it then what I got for the same DVD here).

On eBay if you list in the Movies > DVD's & Blue-ray dics ,then it doesn't mean that your listings will appear in

that category as that's influenced by keywords,(that's the basic answer I got from Help & Contact).

So I have no idea why they want you to list in a category,shok.gif

Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

@qball28 wrote:

Sorry, but sales are still ticking along consistently here. It has taken all day ( with a small nana nap at lunch time ) to pack after the weekend and figures show sales are consistantly hitting monthly averages. This is suprising as I havnt done much listing for around six weeks. I figure if my sales are going to be throttled to the same figure each month, ebay can sell some of my existing listings for me. A couple of the things that have sold this week have been listed for up to four years and several have been on ebay for a couple of years.

I put up around 15 auctions on the private account on the weekend and around half have bids. ( mainly some of the rare old magazines I mentioned in another thread and a few classic car parts ). I suspect it all depends on what people are trying to sell. If it is one off, realistically priced  items such as antiques & collectables or consumer goods that buyers cant easily find, there is still good sales to be had on ebay. If you sell generic items that compete against the Chinese and lots of other sellers such as clothes or phone covers it would be pretty tough trying to stand out and compete.

Even with the rarer items, price is important in the current market. I have probably cut my price on new store BIN listings by around 10% over the last 12 months as buyers are very carefull at the moment. With things being quiet in the general economy I am able to buy stock in a bit cheaper meaning I am still holding my profit margins.

I think in the current market, the two most important things to generate sales are stock selection ( selling things buyers actually want and cant easily find ) and price points.      I hope this helps someone a bit.   Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

Firstly, I am not a eBay apology seller and secondly I rarely blog on this site. I've been with eBay about 15 years and I must say some eBay sales in the past have occasionally pulled me out of the **bleep**. But... I dont believe I've ever seen sellers at such a low point with sales and seller morale at rock bottom. I've just spent weeks going through lists of the so called 'free' personal website designers, suppliers etc., which I won't name, search Google for free web sites.. (look at their track record and the 'real' costs -  search Google with their name and review).Bottom line -  'Free' websites can cost several hundred dollars each year to set-up & maintain.  I want to put forward a startling idea which some sellers should think about and that is you consider using an eBay basic shop as your personal website - For starters, You can choose your  'domain' (user) name for free, site costs - hosting etc.costs $20 per month ($5 per week!)  no set-up costs, SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) free coverage you can't buy cheaply with a private website, traffic (lookers) where you dont pay for ad clicks. All shops have their own URL that you can advertise on business cards, stationery etc.which will lead buyers directly to your shop. You don't pay in advance for items sold. Free List 12 photo's, eCommerce facility, So it goes on- I've looked at this problem with great intensity of late and keep coming back to the above. I will keep persisting with my shop on another user name until something better happens here or there is better value & buyers elsewhere. Over now to the critics..

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply