What would you do here?

Rcently my sister and I listed a pick up only bulk item & they 'sold' to someone who looks very much like they may be a dealer, with a FB score of over 82,000. The auction deliberately ended on a Friday as weekends suit a lot of people for pick up.

When the auction ended, my sister sent a message just to make contact and ask when they would like to arrange to collect the items.

No reply.

She sent a couple of other messages, she included her address & mobile number in case that made it easier.

She did not get any reply at all till about 6 days after the auction. All it said was-might have to be the weekend.

She messaged back and said she would like them collected by this weekend. No reply.

Yesterday morning the man sent a 3 word message via ebay- 'are you home'. My sister isn't on a computer 24/7 and didn't see the email till lunchtime, by which stage he had sent a second, saying, "Didn't you get my message". She replied immediately to say she was home & when would he like to collect?

No reply.

This is a person you would think knows very well how ebay works. At no time has he contacted my sister in advance or tried to arrange any mutually agreeable time.

He has ignored most of her messages yet expected instant responses to his own.

I have suggested not to mess around any more. To start an unpaid item dispute tomorrow if she doesn't hear from him.

Is this fair enough and where will she stand if he claims he 'tried' to pick up?

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

What would you do here?

Paying with PayPal or not it's still a pickup so the buyer still needs too pickup,there is no buyer protection with pickup items if they pay with PayPal.

Your sister will not loose the buyer will.

This buyer thinks he is smarter than you but he has no idea he's about to loose.

Message 21 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

I am not sure how much experience this guy has with pick up items. I assume all his dealings are with posted items.

My sister did reply, stating times available over the weekend and asking him to suggest others if they did not suit, plus she pointed out that postage costs were not included as it was a pick up only item.

I read her message, it was a model of politeness.

Basically, she's writing for ebay, for when a case opens as i am sure it will.

I do feel the ad made it clear it was pick up, but I am not 100% sure that ebay will find in our favour as I know they let some dodgy things through.

Message 22 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

@springyzone wrote:

I am not sure how much experience this guy has with pick up items. I assume all his dealings are with posted items.

My sister did reply, stating times available over the weekend and asking him to suggest others if they did not suit, plus she pointed out that postage costs were not included as it was a pick up only item.

I read her message, it was a model of politeness.

Basically, she's writing for ebay, for when a case opens as i am sure it will.

I do feel the ad made it clear it was pick up, but I am not 100% sure that ebay will find in our favour as I know they let some dodgy things through.

They can't open a case as it's a pick up item. NO buyer protection.

Message 23 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

Thanks Tippy.

My sister did all that was suggested, rang ebay etc

They have put a note next to the sale and said that as it is a pick up item, she does not have to post the items.

They also said if he gives her negative feedback based on the fact she did not post, they will remove that feedback.

I guess this means he can give other negative feedback but quite frankly, my sister doesn't care. She isn't going to be buying/selling much on that account anyway. And as she said, if he negs her for not posting, or even if ebay did refund the man, well, we still have the CDs.

Message 24 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

Defect or not,  I'd refund this swine and block him

Wouldn't want him coming to my house, that's for sure

Message 25 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

@dazzledayz wrote:

An alternative approach may be to post if he's also in Melbourne.

Aus Post will do a flat rate of $10 for up to 22kg packed weight if the destination is in the same zone (probably V1 ??).

If the destination is within 50km that drops to $9.30 (again, flat rate up to 22kg packed weight.

Just send him an invoice via PayPal for the postage cost.

Doing it that way you won't have to deal with this idiot in person.

Just for your own info dazzle the flat rate is no longer on the Parcel Post Guide as at October 5

And to the OP - I'd also do what stawka put so well.

Message 26 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

Actually that is one thing my sister did mention, she is worried because he has her address.

It is all a bit weird.

If someone doesn't want an item or doesn't want to collect a pick up item, I am not sure why they would bid in the first place, or why they would not ask for a cancellation.

Message 27 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

My guess is, he bid on them cos he will make money re-selling,

but he's gotten too damn lazy to come get them now.

Thinks he can bully a sometimes seller into posting.     sarcastic.gif

Know it all idiot     pickfight.gif

Message 28 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

Your little emoticons gave me a laugh.

My sister & I used to sell on ebay a lot over a decade ago (on a different ID) but that was before the days of paypal or ebay interference. We were reasonable & fair sellers, don't get me wrong, but we always felt we were in control.

Message 29 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

I hope you keep your control over this one.      

Good luck

Message 30 of 46
Latest reply