What would you do here?

Rcently my sister and I listed a pick up only bulk item & they 'sold' to someone who looks very much like they may be a dealer, with a FB score of over 82,000. The auction deliberately ended on a Friday as weekends suit a lot of people for pick up.

When the auction ended, my sister sent a message just to make contact and ask when they would like to arrange to collect the items.

No reply.

She sent a couple of other messages, she included her address & mobile number in case that made it easier.

She did not get any reply at all till about 6 days after the auction. All it said was-might have to be the weekend.

She messaged back and said she would like them collected by this weekend. No reply.

Yesterday morning the man sent a 3 word message via ebay- 'are you home'. My sister isn't on a computer 24/7 and didn't see the email till lunchtime, by which stage he had sent a second, saying, "Didn't you get my message". She replied immediately to say she was home & when would he like to collect?

No reply.

This is a person you would think knows very well how ebay works. At no time has he contacted my sister in advance or tried to arrange any mutually agreeable time.

He has ignored most of her messages yet expected instant responses to his own.

I have suggested not to mess around any more. To start an unpaid item dispute tomorrow if she doesn't hear from him.

Is this fair enough and where will she stand if he claims he 'tried' to pick up?

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

What would you do here?

I thought some of you might be quite interested in the outcome of all this, considering that most people here believe pick up items are not covered by paypal etc

Recap: My sister sold a bulk lot of CDs, clearly labelled in the ad as pick up only.

Buyer wouldn't answer messages or arrange a time, she lodged unpaid item dispute after day 10.

He paid via paypal and said it now meant she had to post them (no suggestion of paying any extra)

She refused, rang ebay, they assured her she did not have to post a pick up only item.

She sent a message to the buyer to tell him the item could not be posted but he could arrange a pick up time.

My sister went to use paypal today and found she could not. Turned out CD man has lodged a paypal dispute-item not received.

She rang ebay to talk to them.

Here is the outcome:

Our friend lodged a dispute. I rang and spoke to a representative and they find in his favor as he never received the goods. This is regardless of it being a pick up item. I can't be bothered with him anymore so just said he can have his money back but I will not incur the fees. The rep assured me I would be refunded the fees, including ebay as I was not at fault.

So there you go, you can get your paypal fees back, even for pick up only items.

I suppose my sister could ring another rep and talk to them but quite frankly she just wants shot of him.

Me.Smiley Mad I have an evil side that would love to have seen him knocked back and told nope-no case, it's pick up only, go pick up.

Message 31 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

I know she wants shut of it,  but frankly, she spoke to an idiot!!!!!!!

Should ask to speak to a supervisor.

Didn't receive them?       Pfffft

The guy knew it was a deceased estate and that's the way he treats her?

horror smiley.gif     I'd be out for blood!

Edit:  On re-reading, she should have rung Paypal, not ebay.

He lodged the dispute with Paypal

Message 32 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

I never thought of that, you're quite right, stawka.

I think it is too late as she just agreed, but I thought it was interesting that even with pick up items, ebay will still take the buyer's side.

I suppose at least we still have the CDs. But CD man has wasted a lot of her time and energy.

Message 33 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

OK.   I've settled down now.   

Yes, she still has the CDs and she gets her fees back.

But seriously!      What an arrogant pig  time waster he was!

Hope she's blocked him  FOREVER!!

Message 34 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

I have told her that too. Block him.

I must admit I was angry when I heard of it, what a hide that man had. I would have liked to have seen him lose.

In a way though, maybe my sister dodged a bullet, didn't have to meet him.

I have suggested she save the Cds for her girls, i would rather see them go to someone who might enjoy them, than to a man who just wanted them for a quick profit anyway.

What does concern me is that ebay rules seem to be all over the place.

Message 35 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

Actually, I just contacted my sister and it turns out it was paypal my sister did contact.

It was paypal I phoned. The guy messaged them and said he could no longer pick up and wanted a refund. They find in his favor as he hasn't got the goods. They said it isn't fair he paid but got nothing for his money. I did point out he paid via Paypal even after I told him I would not post. Couldn't be bothered with them. Spent enough time.

So okay, she got all her fees back etc but I can't see how they say it isn;t fair for him, he could easily pick up, he didn;t live that far away.

But it is done and dusted.

Message 36 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

It'll happen     double-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Message 37 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

You always cheer me up, stawka.Smiley Very Happy

I suppose it is fair enough in that we can't keep the money if the man couldn't collect, but it's just that a bit of polite communication would have gone a long way.

Message 38 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

@springyzone wrote:

I thought some of you might be quite interested in the outcome of all this, considering that most people here believe pick up items are not covered by paypal etc

if he had picked up the CDs and then made a PayPal claim for not as described I think there would have been a different outcome.

I don't think your case serves as a standard that should guide us in the advice we give on these boards regarding PayPal protection for pickup items.  The PayPal policy clearly states that there is no buyer protection for items that are picked up.  Perhaps the loophole your 'buyer' used is that he did not actually pickup.  Had he picked up the CDs his claim should certainly have been denied based on PayPal's own policy that clearly states this.

I guess it just gets down to the particular words being used . . . . . such as these from policy "Items you collect in person" and these from the PayPal rep your sister spoke to "I rang and spoke to a representative and they find in his favor as he never received the goods".  Technically, both interpretations are correct.

buyer pickup 1.JPG

If he had picked up the items and then made a successful PayPal claim, all it should take is a call to a PayPal supervisor pointing out the policy and the decision would be reversed.  If it wasn't, a threat to file a complaint with the FOS would have them scurrying to put funds back in your account as they have no leg to stand on when they ignore their own plain English policy.

For me, your case has pointed out an anomaly in the policy regarding pickup items.

Message 39 of 46
Latest reply

What would you do here?

And to add, if he had paid via PayPal, picked up the items then done a chargeback, Springy would possibly have been without cd's and funds.

One of the reasons we always recommended a pick up item seller should get a drivers licence number during pick up when paid via PayPal.

image host
Message 40 of 46
Latest reply