When holiday settings turned on, should postage overdue appear on sales

When you have holiday settings turned on with a return date displayed, should sales made in between before you get back, show postage overdue notice from eBay?  If it shows overdue at my end, the customer would also see overdue?  I always wonder how many customers buy without reading the holiday away banner, and if they didn't see it, seeing the postage maked by eBay as overdue could make it worse.

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

In Sellers Hub: Listings -> Active, tick a few listings, Edit selected, then the screenshot below

ebay handling time.jpg

Message 21 of 59
Latest reply

If you have business policies, you'd probably have to edit each policy, but it will automatically update every listing attached to a policy. I don't think it's possible to bulk edit business policies, but I don't use them on my main account, so couldn't say for sure. 

Message 22 of 59
Latest reply

I don't use business policies at all, because I have a feeling these global business policies are designed to make ebay's job easier and are actually against businesses. Just like the Free Shipping thing is there so that there is no doubt who's paying the original " free shipping"  when a buyer returns an item.

Message 23 of 59
Latest reply

No, Handling Time is missing from my drop down box, presumably because I have multiple Postage Policies.  No you can't bulk edit Postage Policies.  Thank you for that anyway.

Message 24 of 59
Latest reply

wrote:

I don't use business policies at all, because I have a feeling these global business policies are designed to make ebay's job easier and are actually against businesses. Just like the Free Shipping thing is there so that there is no doubt who's paying the original " free shipping"  when a buyer returns an item.

Have you checked them out at all?  They make things a lot easier for sellers, especially when there's a postage price rise and you can edit each policy instead of umpteen listings.  You can easily over-ride the policies on individual listings if you need to.  It's not just for businesses, it's there for everyone.  I honestly can't see how they'd make things easier for ebay.  No point in seeing demons where there aren't any.

Message 25 of 59
Latest reply

There's no point complaining about what you think ebay should do.  You pay fees to use the site as they provide it, not how you'd like it to be.  They can't implement every little change or every feature that people want.  I think it's fair enough that they actually allow us to change our handling time and we can't expect ebay to do everything for us. 

Some people wouldn't want their handling times changed when they set their store to away, or they might want to change some items and not others, so to satisfy everyone it could get quite complicated, and that's when glitches happen.  If your settings failed to revert back to how they were previously when you set your store back to normal you'd end up far worse off than having to manually edit a handful of postage policies.  Ebay need to keep things as simple as possible and that's what they've done.

Lots of websites disappear from view if you set them to holiday mode and just because a few don't doesn't mean that ebay should be set up that way.

If you have any sort of business online you have to expect to do a certain amount of work when you go away, whether it's for a holiday or an emergency, just as someone with a b&m shop has to take a few moments to turn off the lights and lock the door as they leave.  I think it would be a good idea for all sellers to have a back-up person who can change basic settings if they have an emergency and can't do it themselves.

Message 26 of 59
Latest reply

After using Holiday settings many times I find the following works very well.

-Set the date as per your return and keep all listings active.

- In the message you can leave, state that all orders placed during this time will be shipped on your return by such and such day.

- While you are away as a courtesy send each buyer who makes a purchase a message saying thanks for the order and that we hope they noticed we are currently away and will post their order as soon as we return . I also say that if they are not happy to wait they can cancel their order of course. 

- On return we send out all orders by the day we promised.

Has worked very well and we virtually have no issues this way.

The only thing that is a bit annoying is Ebay still hit you with late delivery defects on the orders but it has never been to an amount where it causes an issue. But Ideally I would like ebay to take into account holiday settings in regard to late deliveries.

Message 27 of 59
Latest reply

I used holiday settings in October/November and there is now an option to show all your items BUT not allow buyers to actually 'buy'.

Previously I extended my handling time - hence delivery dates were changed automatically but still had buyers who complained.

Was pretty happy to see that the new "showcase but no buying option" was available as it worked well for me.

Message 28 of 59
Latest reply

This thread has gotten away from the original question about the postage overdue notice, which does not always appear, so to me indicates a fault in the eBay system, as any feature good or bad should work consistently. 

starwood2111 - that is exactly what I have always done when away for more than 1 day, and yes it has worked fine for me, occasionally have to cancel and refund orders for the blind buyers.  Sometimes find it hard to send emails out while away, due to either no internet available (I use Telstra), or just too sick or busy/driving, but I haven't had any complaints either.  It would be so much easier though if eBay got their act together and we didn't have to go to such lengths.

downsizing6000 - The feature to leave listings on display but not able to buy was one eBay offered previously, but they changed it.  I have suggested they bring that feature back, but just checked now, and it is still not available.  It no longer clearly states that your listings will disappear, but if you hold your mouse over the question mark at the end, it does say there that they will not be visible within a short time.  Sorry to burst that bubble.

brerrabbit585 - Really??  You don't want buyers to be happy by knowing when an item will be delivered before they buy?  You don't want improvements to make life easier for sellers?  So you think because we signed up to eBay for service 'as they provide it' that they should not improve, move with the times, and fix inconsistent issues as I mentioned above?  Not all sellers go to any extra lenghts like starwood2111 and I do to make sure buyers are happy, most rely solely on eBay features, and no matter how much you think we should all be content with the service as they provide it, the fact remains that buyers don't always see the away notice, and buyers are being given confusing information from eBay with delivery dates.  Disgruntled buyers go elsewhere, and that means ALL eBay sellers loose their business, not just the business that finally **bleep** them off. 

Do you honestly want to stop progress?  If eBay don't keep up with the times, they will get left behind.  Luckily no successful business thinks like that, if they did we could all still be using the red phone box on the corner, and not that new smart phone that keeps getting improved every year.   eBay needs to improve every year, or be left behind.

You say other web sites disappear completely everytime they are on holidays - really?  Name a few.

You suggest every store should have back-up help?  Maybe you can afford to pay someone, train them and keep them up to date on how to do things on eBay, and retrain every time they change the layout, and then find time to contact them when you fall sick, and hope they are home and not out themselves, so they can change eBay because eBay can't be bothered if buyers are getting mixed messages and are unhappy.

If eBay thought the same - here is our service as we provide it - then why do they keep making changes and improvements?

Message 29 of 59
Latest reply

If it makes you happy to twist my words, go ahead. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, nor am I going to lose any sleep over the fact that ebay doesn't set things up exactly the way I'd like them to be. I'm happy to work with what they've provided, which includes the means to eliminate confusion in buyers' minds when I'm away.
Message 30 of 59
Latest reply