When holiday settings turned on, should postage overdue appear on sales

When you have holiday settings turned on with a return date displayed, should sales made in between before you get back, show postage overdue notice from eBay?  If it shows overdue at my end, the customer would also see overdue?  I always wonder how many customers buy without reading the holiday away banner, and if they didn't see it, seeing the postage maked by eBay as overdue could make it worse.

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: When holiday settings turned on, should postage overdue appear on sales

There are some areas in this discussion that I think you may be confusing with other issues, but I apologize in advance if I have misunderstood anything you have stated, it is not my intention to upset you, just to clarify, and understand the real issue.

1.  The items in stores on holiday are available, they are not clogging up the site, they simply have a different delivery date to that stated by eBay (if the seller doesn't change the postage policy).

Sorry, but they aren't available at all.  They may be available to order but if a buyer can't expect to receive them in a normal time frame then they're not available as such.  Available means you pay your money and the goods are handed over - in this case they're posted within a reasonably short time.  If a person needs something in the next week they don't want to click on umpteen listings that can't be posted until next month because the seller is away.  Yes they are available.  If buyers didn't want to wait sometimes, none would buy from overseas, lots of things I have ordered from overseas take over 1 month to arrive.  Do you suggest all overseas listings also be removed?  Do you suggest they shouldn't offer to extend postage handling time over 5 days as they currently offer up to 30 days?  All different issues. 

2.   The hundreds of dulpicated listings is a completely different issue  (that I totally agree is a right pain), but what can they do?

What can they do?  They could take notice of reports they receive.  Unfortunately, they only take notice of a few because of their limited resources.

3.  Why do you say more stores will go away if the delivery dates issue is fixed? 

I'm saying more will leave their listings visible when they go away instead of making them invisible.  How do you know?

And what difference would it make anyway, if the delivery dates are stated correct, no buyer will be confused, so they will be happy.  How is that making the buyer experience worse than ever?  

Because a lot of people don't want to buy things if they know they won't be posted in the next few days.  That's not just because they're impatient, it could be because they need to ask a question, or it can be because it's easy to forget about purchases that won't be posted for a while and then if they never arrive it ends up being too late to do anything about it. If the dates were stated correctly, the buyer would know when to expect it,  if they don't want to wait, they won't buy - IF they know the correct estimated dates.  As it stands now, they don't always know, this is where the problem lies.  The problem about being able to do something about non arrivals only starts after the expected delivery dates, doesn't it?  If not, it should.

4.  You don't need to put a store on holiday to extend your handling times, so wading through items that have long postage times has nothing to do with holiday mode.  Why should a listing that has 30 days handling time be given priority over a listing with store on holiday for 5 days?

I think listings with 30 days handling time should also be given a very low priority.  I think a lot of buyers would be wary of sellers with such long handling times because it denotes inefficiency, and if they take that long to post then what else are they inefficient at?  I know some do it because they don't order the stock until it's sold, but that's supposed to be declared, plus all sorts of things can go wrong, eg. their supplier is out of stock, postal delays, etc. So you agree it a totally different issue.  But where and how do they draw the line - you can select handling time to be 1,2,3,4,5,10,15,20 or 30 days, what is the cut off point, how do they prioritize? You could always suggest to eBay that they add to the Sort drop down box to include sort by delivery times, that would solve that for you, and if they fixed the holiday away dates, they would go lower down the list also.

5.  If it is disrespectful to have items available for sale while away with 7 or 10 days extra handling time, is it disrespectful to have items listed for sale with 30 day handling times?  Is there a difference?

A lot of sellers who leave their listings up while they're away do it for a lot longer than 7 or 10 days.  Some go away for more than 30 days and some even go overseas and leave all their items visible.  Where are you going to draw the line - 7 days, 10 days, 11 days, 12, 15?   They do need to draw the line, and set a limit for holiday - good idea.  As they already allow you to set handling time to 30 days, I suppose they might see that as their limit?

If I were to leave my listings up while I was away and only had an extra 7 to 10 days handling time, I probably wouldn't even bother saying I was away. I feel it is a courtesy to let buyers know I am away even if only a short delay, and not have them think I don't have stock or are too lazy to post for 7 - 10 days.  But in your case, how can you guarantee you'll be back in 7 days if you're away due to illness?  Why do you think illness of my partner will affect me getting back and posting things?  What happens if you end up being away an extra four days but someone has bought before you amend your return date?  Do you think ebay should accommodate you and amend the arrival date on that purchase too? I have never and will never amend postage date once set, unless I have arranged for items purchased prior to still be posted on date specified in the first place.

For those who always have a 30 day handling time, that's just plain sloppy.  There may be valid reasons for it in some circumstances (sale pre-orders) but a lot would be just plain inefficient.  I'd guess that some would actually be away but haven't actually said so. I guess you are guessing correctly, but if you knew the reason, say if it said the seller is away until x date,  you wouldn't think they are sloppy or inefficent.

6.  Illness - such an unpredictable thing, but so are car crashes, fires, bombs.... Anyone could die, whole families get killed in crashes, whole business get wiped out with bombs.  You don't have to have your store on holiday for dealth to affect it at any time, that is irrelevant, and there are simply too many what ifs.  I hope that I won't crash the car taking my husband to hospital, thereby killing us both at the same time.  If an item isn't delivered, eBay already have in place a claims proceedure and PayPal will readily refund money for undelivered items, and accounts with lots of defects get closed down.  So that is already looked after by eBay.

It takes a long time to close them down and you can bet your boots that buyers aren't automatically refunded in such cases, or even contacted by ebay or paypal.  Despite the ebay MBG being advertised so freely, a lot of buyers still wouldn't realise they can get their money back for items that don't arrive in such cases.

There are lots of what ifs, but this is why I suggested we should all try and have someone who can do the basics if something happens to us, as in set the store to away or end listings.  Yes, anything can happen regardless if you have store on holiday or not.  If it makes you feel better to know, last year I wrote a letter to be opened in case we are both killed at same time, and it does give all instructions as you suggest.  But this is another entirely different issue that has nothing to do with away notices.

7.  I have never said I am entitled to anything just because I pay my fees, or that anything is just about what I want, not sure at all were you got that idea from.  In a perfect world, it would be nice to think that all issues with eBay are fixed, and everyone is happy.  

But you've said you expect ebay to work perfectly, or strongly inferred it, when you said this, "They have the resources, they can fix things."  You want them to fix the away issue so it works for you, regardless of whether that may or may not be the best experience for everyone else.  And you thought I twisted your words?  How is suggesting eBay has resources and can fix things, by any stretch of the imagination be interpreted as I want eBay to work perfectly?  When have I said I want issues fixed to work only for me, regardless of others.   I would like the issue fixed so NO buyer is given wrong information of expected delivery dates, how is that only fixing the issue for me?

Re being entitled to have them fix this issue because you pay your fees, you said this,  "We pay eBay to provide a good easy usable service.", and this, "Remember, we pay eBay to provide this platform", which can only be construed as you expecting to be done because you pay your fees.  I used the word 'we' as in ALL SELLERS, not me personally, if I had meant me personally, I would have used 'I' not 'we'.  All Sellers have the right to expect a good working platform that supplies correct information.

8.  I don't feel my contacting them once a year could be called constantly, or has such a negative impact on their resources.  If everyone stopped contacting them altogether, they would never know what problems there were or fix anything.  They simple need everyone who has issues to let them know, and when enough people report a specific problem, they might fix it.

I never said you complain constantly, but you were trying to encourage others to complain, and everyone knows an isolated complaint is never going to get any attention. My point exactly, isolated complaints don't get attention.  Nit-picking, I know, but you've obviously contacted them more than once a year because you said this, "I have several times previously begged eBay to make the away notices more prominent and change the postage dates..."  Begging denotes more than a simple request once a year, and postage dates haven't been around all that long. My last contact before this contact was April, 2016.  That correspondence went back and forward a couple times between eBay and myself, and yes, I admit to begging in each of those back and forwards.  It was when you could still email them.  Postage dates back then just said 2-4 days or whatever, still dates.

I'm sorry but I think ebay is primarily for active sellers, not for those who are away, and the system is designed with that in mind. So why do they offer the holiday function. I can understand why ebay doesn't give high priority to changing things so that people who are away can have their cake and eat it too. Have said before I am not holding my breath.  I think the fact that you're able to actually keep selling while you're away should be considered a bonus and a privilege, rather than complaining that you might have to edit half a dozen business policies and expecting to have a one-click solution when you go away.  Can a standard function, that isn't visible enough and only half works, be considered a privilege?

Message 51 of 59
Latest reply

Eyes glazed over -

Image result for too long didn't read meme
Message 52 of 59
Latest reply

Hi Digital Ghost,

I was curious about the business policies, as I never knowingly signed up on my private account, and when I go into it, it does in fact say 'Welcome..." and gives a blurb with highlight boxes showing features.  I found the opt out button, and thought, press it.  This box came up,  (Sorry, you may need to be calm and sitting down to read the bit I turned red)

Thanks for trying out business policies  Are you sure you want to opt out for now? Once business policies are available to everyone, you'll have to use them again with all your listings, so please let us know why you want to opted out now. When you're ready, you can go to My eBay to try them out again.

Message 53 of 59
Latest reply

@needsome12vbasicswrote:

Hope I didn't imply you don't know the ins and outs, I just know from experience, sometimes it is the simple things that I miss, and when someone mentions it, I hit my head and think 'why didn't I think of that!' it is so obvious.

It wasn't that, it's just that I know you're trying to help and I was trying to say I've explored all the options pretty thoroughly and go with what works best for me. 

Re: business policies - they've been around for a few years now and eBay has always threatened promised that all sellers will be migrated to them eventually (same with the new store format, and Seller Hub), so I know that may be on the cards. The thing is, I think they're actually a great idea in principle, so would use them if they worked consistently. Another site I sell on has always had a system that works pretty much the same way for postage options, and it's a breeze to just go in, change one thing and it applies immediately to every listing connected to that postage profile - so much better than editing 600+ listings in bulk, but only in batches of 50 because things go wrong if you try and do it in larger batches.  Smiley Very Happy

The reason I choose not to cross over on eBay is because the bugs aren't all ironed out, yet. Old policies not in use (and in some cases, ones that have been deleted entirely) somehow manage to get applied to listings during checkout on the odd occasion (this is actually what's behind the $5 + $2 = $18 postage problem I mentioned earlier), so while business policies would solve a couple of problems on the admin side, they can create problems for the customer, so I'd rather stick with what works better for customers (until I have no choice, anyway, and I hope by that stage things run a bit more smoothly and consistently). 

Message 54 of 59
Latest reply

Unfortunately yes. eBay had Holiday Settings before they had auto tracking. The two conflict. Their advice to me was to un-list all my products so nobody could purchase, the relist when back. What a crock!!! Holiday settings set, notification emails set. Products posted first day back. eBay gave 4 late shipment strikes. No complaints from clients. Rung eBay and they said they would sort out. They did not. Rung again after the next review and they had NO RECORD of the first phone call. Another crock of unprofessional bull. 

NOw cannot do anything due to sales being over three months. Waited all afternoon for a return phone call from eBay. Nothing forthcoming.  eBay is totally incompetent.  I know they read these and I hope that it may inspire someone to sort this rubbish out.

I am definitely not the first and will not be the last. Conflicting auto computer programs. Sort it out.

Message 55 of 59
Latest reply

I know they read these

You know more than the rest of us, then. It is generally understood that eBay do not read the boards. Even if they did, they wouldn't acknowledge it. They don't even respond to (or do anything about) issues raised on threads they start themselves.

It has always bemused me why people expect to take holidays but expect to be able to sell while doing so.

Hide 'em or end 'em.

Message 56 of 59
Latest reply

@needsome12vbasics,

The term "idiot-proof" is one of the most useful, I think. When it comes to expecting other people to understanding what a process is, how to operate something, how to follow instructions, etc., there are often profound gaps or things prone to being misunderstood. That's because we as individuals make all sorts of assumptions that many times we do not even realise are there. They are part of our unconscious life-experience.

Breaking things down to be as simple as possible isn't just a matter of using point-form or simple terminology. Many times, that doesn't even begin to address the issue! It's what is unspoken, unknown, oft unrevealed - and that's why developing software goes through many iterations with many beta testers. It's why instruction manuals can be so frustrating. It's why a good teacher is rarer than one might think. It's why communicating with others is fraught with whirlpools of misunderstanding.

My father told me when I first started driving, "You've got to drive as though everyone else is an idiot." Only experience taught me how valuable a piece of advice that was. (He wasn't one of the few who are good teachers when it comes to driving, but he certainly gives some worthwhile advice!) When communicating with people, particularly in situations where conflicting perceptions can drive the process, and result in huge communication gaps exacerbated by insistence that one perspective is more right than another, it makes sense to say to oneself, "I have got to stop thinking I've explained myself clearly enough."

Think about the situation of holiday mode - how a buyer, who may not be particuarly computer-savvy, or may be buying in a hurry, or may be buying on a device where some of the information isn't showing clearly... In fact, just think about a buyer who is searching through loads of stuff on eBay, and is probably fed up with a lot of the search results. We can all agree that there is much that is clumsy and cluttered in how eBay's sites work. So... we have a buyer who is tired of searching, who just wants to buy an item for a good price, and they see an item listed, at a price they're happy to pay, and the expected delivery date is showing.

I can guarantee that many buyers are going to see that, rather than see that a seller is on holiday.

eBay could make this whole process easier and less prone to misunderstanding. However, given that their tech team already fail in many areas, we're not about to see holiday mode become an issue for them. There is no way for you - or me - or any of us - to speak directly to the IT department. You can go through eBay CS, and get their soothing placebo - "we've passed this on to our IT department, and they will be looking into it", or soothing placebo mark 2 - "We've escalated this to our IT department", or any other version of their placebo responses, but the basic fact is that eBay CS don't have the authority or power to do anything about the messy jungle of conflicting and bad code which makes up eBay sites.

Complain as much as you wish; I wouldn't want to stop you, and it can certainly do no harm, apart from taking up your time. But eBay do not listen to its members. Not one little bit. Not at all. Not to buyers; not to sellers. Don't believe the rhetoric spun about eBay caring about its buyers; it doesn't. It cares about being seen to care about buyers, yes, but that's an entirely different thing. That's about spin, perception, marketing. It's also about putting policies into place which encourage buyers to spend. Believe me, those policies are there, and have gotten worse of late, in that sellers are ever more at a disadvantage.

It comes down to this. eBay's IT department will only do what the management level tell them to do, and they are far far removed from any squeaky wheels that any of us may wish to roll upon the floor of indigation and general disentrancedness. Management are there to ensure that the board of directors are happy.

That means that sellers on eBay have to find a way to work within eBay as it is, not as we would like it to be, not as it should be, not as it could be. That means that expecting buyers to look at any holiday message is expecting buyers to look beyond a) item price, b) title of item, c) estimated delivery date, and possibly d) photo of item. Quite a few buyers don't even bother to read the description, so what chance has any seller of expecting buyers to read a holiday message about expecting a delay?

The cold hard fact is that if a seller goes on holiday, eBay won't extend the estimated delivery time. Buyers will not only continue to expect their items to arrive by the estimated delivery time, but they will also have the tools to inflict punishment on the seller for not meeting that estimated delivery time. Enough defects, and the seller will end up with a very very sore bottom from eBay's repeated spanking.

So... I would recommend finding a solution that mitigates your risk of being hit with repeated defects and repeated buyer unhappiness. Those solutions may well be different for each seller; you'll know your own business best. Just be aware that if you expect buyers to react in the way that an ideal buyer in your head would behave, you're probably projecting your own unconscious viewpoint upon that buyer. The buyer will be doing the same thing - projecting his/her own unconscious viewpoint upon the seller. Since buyers have much of the power in the transaction, you have to break down your way of doing things so that you're keeping it truly and honestly as simple as possible, with zero - nada - NO room for misunderstanding. You can't change the estimated delivery date ... except by changing your handling time. Alternatively, change stock level to 0 or hide those listings until you return... at least, that's my viewpoint.

Disclosure: I'm a buyer. While I read carefully, and also take responsibility for misinterpreting anything with a purchase, I understand that there are many many buyers who do not read carefully, and who do not take responsibility for misinterpreting anything with a purchase. You need to manage buyers as if they were all the latter sort.

Message 57 of 59
Latest reply

QUOTE:  'Quite a few buyers don't even bother to read the description' 

QUOTE:  'you have to break down your way of doing things so that you're keeping it truly and honestly as simple as possible, with zero - nada - NO room for misunderstanding.'

If the first comment is true, then the second comment is absolutely impossible. 

Message 58 of 59
Latest reply

Hi, needsome12vbasics,

Breaking down what one does as an eBay seller to avoid misunderstanding is based on eBay's way of presenting the buying process to buyers.

I mentioned

1.  item price (and by that I mean to include the associated postage cost),
  2.  title of item,
  3.  estimated delivery date, and possibly
  4.  photo of item

Those will take preeminence in the eyes of a good proportion of buyers, because that's how eBay has been marketing the whole purchasing process.

You can add all sorts of extra things in the description field, but there's a high chance that the prospective buyer may not ever read the description. That means that, if one wants to mitigate one's risks and avoid stress-inducing hassles, the seller will ensure that those four elements of the item/transaction are adhered to.

For example,

• seller realises item costs more to post than realised at time of putting up the listing; seller tells buyer there will be additional amount; buyer will probably be upset at this and either refuse to pay the extra, or pay and give the seller the worst possible feedback (comment and individual ratings);
  • seller states "NETGEAR" in title but item description and item specifics include "unbranded/generic"; buyer will rightly feel scammed (example taken from a current situation in another thread);
  • seller has "2 days handling", puts notice on store "ON HOLIDAYS UNTIL ..."; buyer still sees latest estimated delivery date as xxx; item doesn't arrive; buyer is upset, opens dispute, reports that item didn't arrive by estimated delivery date, gives bad feedback; seller gets defect in addition to the negative;
  • seller uploads generic photo of new item, not showing minor scratches of actual item for sale; buyer receives item and is unhappy because the photo shows a pristine new item; buyer opens "not as described" case on the basis of discrepancy between photo and actual item condition.

Those are four very typical examples of how buyers are going to react when their transaction doesn't follow the path they expect it to take, based on the criteria which eBay itself tells them to rely upon.

I think it's a pity, and I also think eBay is teaching buyers to be sloppy, and to take no responsibility for their own failure to read descriptions and item specifics, but for a seller to succeed on eBay, playing within eBay's rules is the only way to survive. (That doesn't necessarily mean "by" eBay's rules... there's a subtle difference.) eBay could make the whole process easier, by allowing Australian sellers to state on which date they'll be processing orders again, and automatically adjusting ETAs based on that - but they don't... and they won't (in my opinion).

Whatever strategies sellers want to use, given the current set-up, they must be strategies that minimise buyer misunderstanding, confusion, and unhappiness - and also reduce the chance of buyers being able to act punitively against the seller. (eBay have enabled buyers to a disconcerting extent.)

Message 59 of 59
Latest reply