Who is responsible for delivery of an item, the buyer or the seller?

I have sold several hundred records and CDs on eBay and only once has a buyer claimed that he didn't receive the item. In that case I refunded both the purchase price and the postage. It occurs to me that there is nothing to stop an unethical buyer from bidding a hight amount which nobody else can match then, after he has received the item, claiming that it never arrived. Unless the item is sent by registered mail the seller has no means of proving that the item arrived or claiming the cost of the item from the post office.

My auctions carry a notification that the postage is the responsibility of the buyer unless he requests delivery by registered mail and is willing to pay the extra cost. Does eBay have a problem with this?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Who is responsible for delivery of an item, the buyer or the seller?

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

why should the seller bear the responsibility of delivery rather than the buyer

Because the method of delivery is entirely within the control of the seller and the seller is the one handing over the cash to AP for providing the service.

Perhaps a better question would be why would a seller NOT be responsible for the safe dlivery of an item they are sending to somebody who has paid their mney in good faith.

The sale of goods act does not agree with your logic. Remote trading (mail order) was occurring before the internet was invented.

The same act covers both scenarios

Ebay and paypal need to comply to australian  trading practices whether they like it or not rather than trying to push the US remote trading consumer law onto australian customers by stealth

..... Australia's laws and if ebay nor paypal want to conform then they are welcome to trade elsewhere Smiley Indifferent

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: Who is responsible for delivery of an item, the buyer or the seller?

I wondered whether anybody could explain to me why items sold on ebay US must show evidence of delivery to the customer to

meet paypal seller protection policy guidelines while in Australia sellers only need to provide evidence of delivery to the carrier.

This is the nux of the argument of who is responsible for delivery on ebay AU as per Australia's trading laws

ie whats the major difference????

Does anybody really think ebay and paypal vary their policies just for fun... or do you think it varies because it is a legislative

requirement they need to meet because they are dealing with customers who trade in Australia ??

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 12 of 12
Latest reply