Why are big sellers allowed to have their contact details?

I recently attempted to list items with my email address attached, but the eBay knocked me back saying I could not have my email address or phone number included in the listing. Go have a look at any major eBay seller and you will find either a phone number, email address or both.

This supports what I have been saying for the past 10 years or so – eBay supports the major sellers. Their listings get priority in searches when looking for an item and they get better deals on listing and selling fees.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Why are big sellers allowed to have their contact details?

I know of someone who sells on here regularly. I don't know if it is a shop or not but think not.

But they said they got a warning & a week's suspension for answering a message from a potential buyer.

The items they sell are pick up only and the person had simply asked what suburb. The seller replied only with the names of 2 suburbs where pick up was abailable. Not specific addresses or phone numbers, just suburbs for pick up.

For this, they got into trouble with ebay.

The seller rang ebay and was told this is correct, they can't even mention suburb.

It seems ridiculous to me that for a pick up item a seller cannot mention even a suburb in a message. After all, a suburb around Melbourne will often have about 30,000 people so it isn't exactly an address, is it. 

I understand ebay have their rules and don't want sales made off ebay but a bit of common sense wouldn't go astray.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I understand ebay have their rules and don't want sales made off ebay but a bit of common sense wouldn't go astray.

This!!! Is something that eBay has proven on a daily basis to be lacking of. Eventually they will just go too far in my opinion and lose a lot of sellers.

I cannot wait to the day when eBay fall on their own sword.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

I pay the premium fee on our store and they have been knocking my listings off for haviung a phone number...  

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

I'm surprised then, that they havn't closed you down.

Your details are in your store banner - not just the lisitngs

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

According to the spring seller release NOBODY will be allowed to have contact information in listings.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

I believe that is illegal in Australia.

As far as I know if you are a registered Australian business you are supposed to have your details available to the public.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

Well we already know what eBay thinks of Australian law. Or any law for that matter.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply