Why is a buyer allowed to leave negative feedback when a full refund has been given?

My one and only negative feedback has come from a buyer who didn't receive his CD's...so when he told me that the CD;s were missing... I REFUNDED him ALL his money ( including my "out-of-pocket" postage expenses)...so he hasn't lost a cent. I, however, have lost my CD's, plus postage cost....(due to his refusal to pay for "tracking"). I thought that when a buyer receives a FULL refund they couldn't leave feedback. Ironically, the reason why I immediately refunded the buyer's payment in full, was to avoid negative feedback...How wrong was I ?

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Why is a buyer allowed to leave negative feedback when a full refund has been given?

ytwo000
Community Member

cause ebay thinks all buyers are angels and never do wrong and all sellers are out there to get youSmiley Surprised

Message 31 of 36
Latest reply

Re: Why is a buyer allowed to leave negative feedback when a full refund has been given?

You can request the buyer change their feedback to Neutral rather than negative. I did this in a situation where I was left negative feedback after a buyer bought a Playstation 3 Box I had for sale (Just the Box as stated about 15 times throughout my listing) and then left me negative feedback after I contacted them before sending it to make sure they understood what they were getting - what a jerk I am. After a couple of messages, they finally conceded that maybe they were partly to blame (yeah, partly...) and agreed to change my feedback to Neutral. Give it a go.
Message 32 of 36
Latest reply

I did, but the a**wipe buyer refused, so that was the end of it.
Message 33 of 36
Latest reply

I already knew everything you've said, I'm painfully aware of that, I've been on Ebay with 3 sites for 10 years, but your question of "Would you pay for my House, contents or car insurance?" was nonsense, as YOUR car, house and insurance has NOTHING to do with me....if anything, that question proves my point...namely...."Why should I pay for the insurance on the seller's goods, not my goods, when they themselves refuse to pay for it & want to take the cheap postage option". I know the "Ebay/Paypal" answer of course, it's because Ebay wants to protect buyers against sellers who take their money, but don't post the goods, but there's no protection for the sellers at all...unless we pay extra for the protection, which defeats the entire purpose of selling on Ebay (i.e to make money) whereas a buyer GETS protection by NOT paying for protection...it's all a**up! What should happen is...everything MUST be registered....THAT will stop all the Paypal claims and give them nothing to do all day...BUT if a buyer refuses to pay for the registration it "should" automatically remove the protection of Paypal, as it's unreasonable and ridiculous for the seller to pay for the buyer's item to be protected against loss/damage...it's only because of the (opposite to normality in the real world) Paypal rules that enable this fraudulent buyer behavior to flourish.
Message 34 of 36
Latest reply

applerecord wrote:

I already knew everything you've said, I'm painfully aware of that, I've been on Ebay with 3 sites for 10 years, but your question of "Would you pay for my House, contents or car insurance?" was nonsense, as YOUR car, house and insurance has NOTHING to do with me....if anything, that question proves my point...namely...."Why should I pay for the insurance on the seller's goods, not my goods, when they themselves refuse to pay for it & want to take the cheap postage option". I know the "Ebay/Paypal" answer of course, it's because Ebay wants to protect buyers against sellers who take their money, but don't post the goods, but there's no protection for the sellers at all...unless we pay extra for the protection, which defeats the entire purpose of selling on Ebay (i.e to make money) whereas a buyer GETS protection by NOT paying for protection...it's all a**up! What should happen is...everything MUST be registered....THAT will stop all the Paypal claims and give them nothing to do all day...BUT if a buyer refuses to pay for the registration it "should" automatically remove the protection of Paypal, as it's unreasonable and ridiculous for the seller to pay for the buyer's item to be protected against loss/damage...it's only because of the (opposite to normality in the real world) Paypal rules that enable this fraudulent buyer behavior to flourish.

-------------------------------------------------

I totally agree with your earlier post. I think a buyer who is given a full refund, including postage, should not give the seller a negative. The seller has tried to fix things. I know people say that feedback is a record of how the person feels about the transaction but sellers cannot leave feedback about how they feel about things, or not in their own feedback.

But I am not sure what you mean in your post above about being out of pocket. (I haven't sold for years so admit I am not up with the latest about dealing with Aust post). Would it not be possible to list your item with the total postage cost that included tracking and not offer tracking as an extra at all, just don't make it optional. That way, the buyer has no choice and can either bid or not bid but at least you all know where you are.

If that is not possible on overseas sales, perhaps you might be better off to restrict yourself to Aust only sales.

From what I have been reading, there seem to be a few buyers who are scamming the system if they can. Most wouldn't, but I have read enough complaints on this forum that if i went back into selling, I think I would pre-add tracking costs to postage, just to cover myself. And maybe add a note in the ad that postage costs include tracking.

Message 35 of 36
Latest reply

Yes I totally understand. And ebay won't do anything about it, I've tried. This buyer left negative feedback when she said the ring didn't look anything like the photo. I contacted her & said the ring shown in the photos is exact item that was sent to her & asked why she didn't contact me first before leaving negative feedback & to send me a photo of the ring, which she never did. & then her daughter said I was abusing her 82 year old mother, abusing!!
I contacted ebay asking for the negative comment to be removed as I was very proud of my 100% positive feedback. & ebay sent me a message basically saying we can't remove the feedback, click here to read the policies of feedback removal but buyers will look at your overall feedback-what a stupid thing to say, I have high end jewellery for sale & if I was looking to buy a ring such as the ones I have for sale I would want to purchase from a seller who has a 100% positive feedback. & this was all over a genuine amethyst & diamond sterling silver with gold overlay ring that she paid 0.99 cents for & I lost a bit of money on that ring, I still can't get over it. Ebay are genuinely useless, they really are, & need to start pulling up their socks & do the work what we pay them to do. & a tip, if you have to deal with Paypal-which is also another ebay company, there is a lady from Paypal & she knows her stuff but not the men as they know jack **bleep**, BUT that's been my own personal experience with Paypal.
Message 36 of 36
Latest reply