Why is it so expensive to sell on eBay...

Okay so I have now used up all of my 30 free listings per month and am now getting slugged $3.00 insertion fee for BIN items of over $99. ( Mind you, as soon as I noticed I was getting slugged I soon put a stop to relisting ).

Now, what I can`t understand is, WHERE DOES ALL THE MONEY GO? eBay must be making trillions.

What a rort.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Why is it so expensive to sell on eBay...

Nop, no matter what anyone says, ITS A RORT.

Obviously millions of dollars is not enough, obviously billions is not enough and even trillions is not enough either. Greedy scabs. Nothing short of it !

So if you decided to run an auction site at a loss or break even you would continue to do so?

Banks make millions and you still use them.

If you were making trillions would you pass it back to those that pay you and say you do not want it?

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

Don't forget the cost of maintaining the tree, for sellers to list free on. Or do you think if they don't charge, it doesn't cost?

Hang on, isn't that a classified site? Pickup only? Limiting your market there.

That's right and it's a very important point - the tree needs to be watered. It's possible to post items but I think it's mainly for pick up items.

TCT
Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

Rort is a term used in Australia and New Zealand to mean a scam or fraud. It is commonly used in relation to politics or a financial impropriety, particularly relating to a government programme.

Ebay = Rort    I don't think so.

As dave pointed out, ebay own the tree. Maybe it's to keep the tree afloat.

Seriously, if ebay is compared to the earlier forms of selling in newspapers etc. quite cheap for the coverage and success rates really.

And as a buyer my savings are in 5 figures over the last few years.

I don't mind using some of those savings to pay a few dollars to sell some stuff I wouldn't have had this easy method of doing so before.

image host
Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

As a shareholder for many, many years in different companies I have always wanted the companies to make a lot of money because when it comes to distributing the dividends what was a billion dollar profit does not equate to millions per shareholder, more likely anything from 30 cents to $2.50 per share.

So get over it, it is still the cheapest way to sell worldwide and have your item out there for 10 days with lots of photos, plenty of room for a good description and eBay providing an email service between buyer and seller. Then at the end of the auction eBay will automatically do all the paperwork for you and all you have to do is post the item if you are the seller.

Life is tough when using ebay and it really sucks that you have to pay to use it.

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

๐Ÿ˜ฎ  Bump, didn't know you had that in you. ๐Ÿ˜‰

image host
Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

I agree . . . you could have advertised your items in the local Newspaper for much less.  Admittedly, maybe you would have to have advertised it 5 times before anybody who would want your items would contact you, but each time you advertised it would have cost you!  So what if people in Sydney or Melbourne or anywhere else in Australia or the whole world can see your item . . . . is that exposure worth the fees?  I'd rather pay lower fees and have eBay work less hard to promote my listings.

And what exactly do I get for my Final Value Fees apart from exposure to thousands if not millions of potential buyers?  When a similar item sells, the sold listing will display "Similar items" across the top of the page which can include mine . . . . even though I did not give eBay permission to promote my item that way.

Recently, eBay started letting me put 12 photos on my listing at no cost!  What the hell!  How dare they.  Now I have increased workload when listing because I now take 12 photos instead of the one or two they used to charge me for.  Getting things for free has increased the amount of work I have to do to sell my item.  Sure, having more photos helps me to sell my item, and for more $, but that only means that eBay will get more fees from me.  I knew they had an alterior motive.

And what's with all those watchers?  Why do eBay let them put my item on their watch list without paying for the privilege?  I would rather pay lower fees and have watchers pay 30 cents to put my item on their watch list!  I mean, if I advertised in a newspaper they would have to buy a copy to see my ad . . . wouldn't they?  It just makes sense to me.

And another thing about watchers . . . . . I mean, eBay even have the hide to email them to tell them when my items are nearing an end and encourages them to hurry up and bid/buy or they may miss out!  What's with that, I didn't ask them to do that so why should I pay for that?

Some eBayers even have the hide to have "saved searches", which would show my item if it was in their saved search.  AND further more, eBay might even email these members to update them on new items that would appear in their saved search.  I know this because I am constantly getting emails from eBay to let me know that there are new listings that match my saved searches.  That annoys the hell out of me . . . . eBay taking away the joy of me accidentally finding or stumbling upon an item when I happen to be online . . . . makes me so unhappy.

And don't get me started on PayPal!  Really, so what if I get more bidders/buyers and higher prices because I accept PayPal.  I'd rather sell my items for half the price and accept Bank Deposit only to protect me against a possible PayPal claim.  If a buyer can't afford to lose the money they pay me they shouldn't be bidding/buying in the first place.

At least at a real live auction I can see what I get for the commission I pay to the auction house.  Who cares if it's 15% or 25% or whatever it happens to be nowadays?  At least I can see what I get for my auction fees.

(tongue firmly placed in cheek)

HAHA you had me going there foe a little while  LOL

By the way, last time I advertised in a newspapers, back then in the dark ages, it was almost $40 for some 2 lines, with the first 2 words in bold to attract attention ๐Ÿ™‚

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

Ebay store feesl if you know what you are doing and maximise the potential are actually cheaper, especially if you have a store with at least 200 items in it, than they have been in all the years I have been using ebay with a store and for my other ids with the 30 free insertion fees again they are cheaper in total.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

leader-of-the-band you for got to mention the extra megabytes it takes to post 12 free photos instead of the 2 or 3 paid photos, but does ebay care that I now use more of my 6 gb monthly allowance to use this free feature? No, not on your nelly!!

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

And how dare ebay supply us with these Discussion Boards to complain in !

Something is very wrong !

What's a shell bidder ? Do they only pay with shells ?

I've run out of lines - LOTB has said nearly everything.....

TCT
Message 20 of 24
Latest reply