Why small sellers are a priority for eBay

15 REPLIES 15

Just comes to seeking to justify their interference in the market:

"But what we do have at eBay, with the benefit of 19 million Brits visiting us each month, is some insight into the direction of the overall market and customer expectations as the e-commerce market becomes even more competitive. We know that customers want easy returns, delivery options such as click-and-collect, as well as top levels of service. We appreciate the steps you take to offer these services."

Same old carp ... we know better than sellers, we will punish sellers that do not retail goods our way - we will interfere in every aspect of a sale.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

5kazam
Community Member

Self aggranizement - The act or practice of enhancing or exaggerating one's own importance, power, or reputation.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

Just comes to seeking to justify their interference in the market:

"But what we do have at eBay, with the benefit of 19 million Brits visiting us each month, is some insight into the direction of the overall market and customer expectations as the e-commerce market becomes even more competitive. We know that customers want easy returns, delivery options such as click-and-collect, as well as top levels of service. We appreciate the steps you take to offer these services."

Same old carp ... we know better than sellers, we will punish sellers that do not retail goods our way - we will interfere in every aspect of a sale.

Heh... I love that they think they have insight to trends, when all they're talking about is services that were initiated and offered by independent (non-eBay) retailers. They have no market data at all to base those kinds of things on. If the feature isn't available, there's no on-site data to indicate trends, if the feature is available, it's corrupted by how they often implement it (take free postage for example, their entire campaign made sellers think they wouldn't do as well if they didn't implement it, so the volume of sellers offering it increased and often buyers had no choice - that doesn't show a preference). 

Do they think that by getting sellers who can offer national click and collect services, anything will actually change?

I can't imagine a conversation that goes...

A: I'm just going to pop down to Target and pick up some new towels, hopefully they'll have a colour that matches the bathroom decor.

B: Hey, you can always check online first, they have an online store, not only that, instead of going down to Target and waiting in line for a few minutes and having the things you want now, you can pay for them online, wait around for 24 hours or more for an email, print that out, then go down to Target (don't forget your ID n' stuff), wait in line and organise the collection!

A: Sweet! But is there anyway I can make it even more convoluted?

B: There didn't used to be, but good news! Now that Target is on eBay, you don't even have to go straight to their online store! 

Yeah, big retailers are the drawcard here on eBay... LOL.

*Disclaimer: I do use click n' collect with one online store - they are in walking distance and accept PayPal, which usually has my extra cash, so it is a bit faster than transferring the funds and heading over there. Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I have read the article - an interesting read. I believe that there is a difference in the "the small business sellers" that the article refers to and the "small sellers" that we think it refers to. In the UK, I understand that it is a UK government requirement for ebay sellers who meet certain criteria to list as Ebay "Business Sellers", which I understand is different than we "small sellers" that register on the Aust ebay site. Therefore, I see the article as referring to a different category of seller other than the mum and dad small sellers on ebay here in Australia or those of us who just operate our Ebay store as a personal seller, rather than a business seller. It is my take, that except for those who can offer items in the collectibles categories, that Ebay want to get rid of any sellers they see as "garage sale sellers" in what some are referring to as "Ebay's latest small seller cull using the new Defect and Returns system."
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

@5kazam wrote:

Self aggranizement - The act or practice of enhancing or exaggerating one's own importance, power, or reputation.

Mmmm finally some commonground I share with eBay ...  I have been known to adopt that approach from time to time Cat LOL

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Well said cats.

Why ebay can't just provide an e medium and leave the rest to others, god knows.

Big Retailers are fine to come on ebay, it is just another medium, that's all. But to exclude the smaller retailers or mum and dad sellers on ebay is crazy.

Re Target - and other retailers - I just go in late or very early before the crowds since they are open 24/7. Very nice to shop at those hours.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

I do not if small sellers are a priority dor ebay but should be for the following reasons:

1. They are millions, many milions! huge number of sellers.

2. They are not only sellers but buyers too, millions, many millions of buyers!

3. Small sellers have the real opportunities,  THE BIG opportunities who attracts the buyers, whitout the big opportunities the ebay is dead, no buyers. Big sellers do not have opportunities, lower prices yes but not opportunities and in most cases their products are the second, what they can not sell in the shops, etc.

4. Small buyers are very weak and can press or create any problem to ebay the big sellers could!  With small sellers ebay knows where is and where is going not with bigg seller,

5. small seller of cause their huge number sell a huge number of products, an huge variety of products in terms of kinds  or prices This huge variety of sellers or products plus opportunities atract huge number of buyers!

6. Do not put all your eggs in one or a small number of baskets!, avoid dependance of a small number of big sellers!  open your doors to people, millions of people, millions of dollars, secure business!

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Ummmmm.........................what???

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

He's trying to start a sellers' union.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply