buyer italy refused delivery

i sold a dress on 12/1/20 and posted to italy, same day i got payment ,using registered mail. parcel left Australia on 16/1/20 and had no further tracking when buyer raised Item not received on 05/02/20. ebay tracking was provided already as i printed label using AU post ebay facility. so i updated the buyer again and pasted tracking from AU post advising to be patient as most likely the parcel is with italy customs. she did not like my response and requested full refund. i raised missing item case with AU post and spoke to them too. they said most likely the item is with italy customs, and it will not show in tracking until customs processes it, but they will investigate. i updated ebay case with all details. on 11/02/20 item was scanned by italian customs, released and showed as in transit in milan. i again updated the case.  case was put on hold on 12/2/20 by ebay italy for 10 days as item indeed was now showing in italian post tracking as in transit, and i was notified that case is on hold until 22/2/20 to allow delivery. i went to bed on 12/2/20, woke up on 13/2 to find out ebay italy had decided to close the case in favor of buyer as she refused delivery, and fully refunded her. so i have to pay ebay now. is this how ebay seller protectin works? i do not have the item and have to pay back including postage? and i was charged seller fees. i have a statement in all of my listings advising about customs rules and charges. what else can i do to control customs and postage timing? and why is ebay deciding to refund the buyer? thanks!

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

They're not supposed to be covered if they refuse delivery. Have a look through the seller centre or help section and through the forums as this has been discussed before.
Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

thanks! i did! i spoke to AU ebay, rules r diff per country ;-( i sell on ebay AU and buyer is covered by ebay italy and they can refuse delivery when late (thou helf by customs italy), so stupidity wins and i loose. i appealed, case is closed by ebay italy. i do not know how its possible and who else i can take this up with. any help?

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

It may be because Europe has rules where the buyer can change their mind within a certain period of time, but I don't know whether that's after it arrives or counted from when they buy it. I'd be wary selling to Europe because of those particular regulations.
Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

Wow you poor thing. Selling internationally is so risky. Terrible this happened. How they can have different rules between countries is ridiculous and unfair for you. And the buyer, speaks volumes about them

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

ok, thank u! so not only i need to exclude italy from my buyers, i need to do whole europe? i wish ebay was advising sellers about it 😞

here is the email i got from ebay italy:

Your dispute has been closed because the shipper confirmed that the delivery of the item was refused by the buyer because the delivery took place late.

I inform you that a buyer has the right to refuse a package if the package arrives late and claims to have a refund.

We had to close the dispute by issuing a refund to the buyer.

I am aware that this is not the answer you were hoping to receive, but I hope I have provided you with a comprehensive explanation. I wish you success with your future eBay sales.  

Sincerely,

Irena P.

EBay Customer Service

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

does anyone know what else i can do apart from ebay appeal? as this case is now closed what can ebay AU do since ebay Italy decided to refund the buyer and expects me to pay? where else can i complain?

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

try PayPal?
Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

I have always been under the impression if you buy from a particular site, you fall under the rules of that site.

At least that is what eBay USA have always told us.

There have been cases with buyers buying on the USA site and eBay USA refuse our protection because the rules are different in USA.

But that may all have changed now.

I still think the rules to be followed are to do with the site you purchase on.

And I think there is something in the cross-border trade agreement we all had to sign some years back.

That aside, Italy are very pro Italy and it's probably a losing battle to take it further.

Hope you get the item back.

I haven't sold to Italy for years due to the dishonest ebayers, both sellers and buyers.

Also due to constant lost articles in the post.

image host
Message 10 of 23
Latest reply