concept of paying to promote your listing

Hi guys – what do you think about the concept of ‘promoting your listing’?  That is paying a percentage of FVF for extra promotion.

I’ve only recently been invited to do this.  Is this something new?  Or just something I’ve recently ‘qualified’ for?  [I’ve only been selling for a few months.]

I signed up for a couple of items as an experiment, but it strikes me as one of those things where it’s nearly impossible to establish whether the promotion attracted the offer or not.  Bit like exclusive agreements with a real estate agent (per Australia).  And there is this ‘tailing’ issue ie regardless of when the person buys, if they first ‘looked’ during the promotional activity then the fee must be paid.

Is that how you, learned friends, perceive it all?

So then I made a note of what the current number of LOOKS and WATCHES were, so as I had a marker on the activity of the promotion.  48 hours later, on all of them bar one, is NIL

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

It has been a store option for quite a while.

As it is now sitewide, I suspect eBay couldn't find enough mugs storeholders to get the income their beancounters pulled out of the hat.

I don't and won't use it. If my sales ever get that dire, I'll close up and spend the money on my own website.

A guy is something you use to secure a tent.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

thanks tent-holder!
Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Now is the winter of our discount tents

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

My worst fears have been confirmed.  After reading this comment I tried to cancel my ‘promotions’. 

It would appear I can’t.  I can only reduce them to 1%.  Does anyone know how to actually cancel?

And then two of the four I cancelled, Ebay  told me they had ‘successfully promoted’ my listing.  Which I presume means Ebay is in the running for premium. 

But two of those listings had shown NO movement at all in terms of Lookers or Watchers – as I has recorded in a note at the outset.

Gees.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

To remove items from the sale, select the Edit link in the

Discount type and items section, then select the item(s)

you want to remove.

eBay Promotions Manager

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

If you are selling into a category that is swamped with other identical items it might be worth paying an extra extortion fee to ensure your item actually gets seen.

I think the real trick with ebay though is to sell items that are different to everyone else. If yours is the only one, or one of just a handful of similar items listed world wide, you are going to be on the first page anyway and don't have to join the race to the bottom price wise. I posted about this on another thread a couple of days ago. I will see if I can cut & paste the post.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Even the kids couldnt get it to copy & paste..........Smiley Very Happy

If interested its on the " why have my sales nose-dived " thread. 

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

Even the kids couldnt get it to copy & paste..........Smiley Very Happy

If interested its on the " why have my sales nose-dived " thread. 

Cutting & pasting direct from this messageboard never works for me either.

Copy-paste into word document-copy from word doc-paste here seems to work though.

But it's a rigmarole, for sure.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

I use promoted listings & it works quite well.  It doubles your exposure for that item as you have your own listing for your item then the sponsered listing & you only pay the extra fee if the buyer chooses the sponsered listing which is not that often.  I started using it in November & sales have been good every month since then.  I have only been using it on my store ID & only costs a few $'s each month (i.e.) less than 1% of sales

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply