difficult buyer

01tmau
Community Member

A buyer has bid on a pair of boardies.  Clearly listed slight mark on back with photo.  She wanted to bump the postage down after she won the shorts and now i said no shes made an excuse the bottoms have a mark in the photo and relist.   i dont get my insertion fees back but said she is welcome to pay the $1 and ill mutual cancel them.  Or should i stand my ground cop a neg and start a dispute?  Honestly i hardly sell on here sell elsewhere 95% of the time and im getting the rudiest buyers on here.  THis happens everytime and read others have had this problem.    She got the billabong shorts for $7 gosh all this i think ill throw them in the bin.  Okay rant over

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: difficult buyer

how much was the postage?

what size were the shorts?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

If you have the time to stand your grand [edit] ground you won't have to wear a neg if you open a dispute, whether she pays or not.  If she does pay and leaves a neg, phone eBay and explain the situation and use your eBay messages as proof of the discussion that the buyer tried to change the agreement after the auction had ended.

If she doesn't pay and the dispute is closed in your favour, she will receive a NPB strike and you will get your listing fee back.  Then, once that is over you can relist (but don't relist before the transaction is finalised!)  The shorts look great, it took me ages to find the mark!

As for crikey's question about postage, it is at cost for a prepaid satchel.

A general remark about responsibility for lost postage - a contentious issue but here it is: eBay makes the seller responsible.  PayPal is the buyer's protection and does not need to pay more.  Registration or that one with tracking and SOD is the buyer's protection.

I hope you get a good outcome!

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

To add, if you open an unpaid item case and she doesn't pay, close it in 4 days.

Then neither of you can leave feedback, and if she leaves it before the case is closed, call ebay to have it removed.

image host
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@book-of-hezekiah wrote:

If you have the time to stand your grand [edit] ground you won't have to wear a neg if you open a dispute, whether she pays or not.  If she does pay and leaves a neg, phone eBay and explain the situation and use your eBay messages as proof of the discussion that the buyer tried to change the agreement after the auction had ended.

If she doesn't pay and the dispute is closed in your favour, she will receive a NPB strike and you will get your listing fee back.  Then, once that is over you can relist (but don't relist before the transaction is finalised!)  The shorts look great, it took me ages to find the mark!

As for crikey's question about postage, it is at cost for a prepaid satchel.

A general remark about responsibility for lost postage - a contentious issue but here it is: eBay makes the seller responsible.  PayPal is the buyer's protection and does not need to pay more.  Registration or that one with tracking and SOD is the buyer's protection.

I hope you get a good outcome!

thanks booka!

I was just sussing out if maybe the postage was really high - not sure where I was going with that though *blush* it just seemed like something I needed to know before I commented further LOL

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

To add, if you open an unpaid item case and she doesn't pay, close it in 4 days.

Then neither of you can leave feedback, and if she leaves it before the case is closed, call ebay to have it removed.

Kopes, I know I've read this a million times before, but I always forget and am always unsure - if I do open an UID and then the buyer does pay, they can then leave feedback, can't they? Well I know that part, yes they can, but does anything stop them from leaving a negative out of spite? You know, there was nothing wrong etc, but they got cross cos the seller had the "audacity to ask them to pay"?

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

sorry went out, yes postage was $9 includes insurance and signature but i do offer buyers that if they prefer to pay with direct deposit i can do postage for $3 in a large letter.  She complained AFTER she just bid and the item ended that she wanted to pay with paypal but only pay the $3.  So then i said no as its clearly on my listing why i offer it cheaper.  She then came back and said it looks like theres a mark on the back of them which i pointed out yes clearly written on the listing.  She said she wont take them and to relist umm i think its because she got funny about the postage.  Maybe i wont offer cheaper postage how rude some people are alot are grateful but some you just cant please  Last email i told her she can pay $1 for my insertion fee and i will mutual cancellation and she got funny and wont get back to me.  If it was genuine its different but i hate being taken for a ride because someone didnt get their own way!!! so over this no wonder people give their kids clothing away after fees wow i make a few little dollars not worth all this

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Simple.

Don't let buyers negotiate postage costs. If you are prepared to post for less because you think the buyer is a scammer (the only reason you would charge less for them not having buyer protection), don't advertise it. Just chuck the difference in the package with a note.

I don't offer discounts for buyers who choose not to have paypal protection. About half my items go as large letters with no seller 'protection'. To date, over only four and a half years admittedly, I have had no claims for INR - which is what the extra cover-your-backside charges cover.

Charge more = sell less, usually.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

If they pay and leave negative feedback even though they got the item and it is a described then you can have it removed as it is considered malicious, there are rules about what people are allowed to say in feedback and if you bring it to Ebay's attention then they will act on it. I've had feeback removed and a policy strike against the buyer and customer service is pretty good about it.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@adornedau wrote:

If they pay and leave negative feedback even though they got the item and it is a described then you can have it removed as it is considered malicious, there are rules about what people are allowed to say in feedback and if you bring it to Ebay's attention then they will act on it. I've had feeback removed and a policy strike against the buyer and customer service is pretty good about it.

if a buyer leaves feedback saying "Not happy" and a negative rating then I doubt that it would be considered malicious.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply