dismal sales again

Ebay used to be pretty good for a couple of years then I had a bad few months last year, then sales and views picked up.I have spent hundreds of dollars on lovely new stock, my prices are very fair. but lately sales have suddenly dropped off again .I was trading at about 60% of this time last year, but now about 30% anyone else feeling left out ?

Message 1 of 82
Latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

dismal sales again

Yes - sales are all bunched up - nearly always weekends, then nothing for the rest of the week or weeks and then the cycle repeats again......

Very strange as it was never like this a few years ago; never these long spells of no sales and then a few bunched together on practically the same day .......

Message 41 of 82
Latest reply

dismal sales again

Might just be a promo algorithm Taz featuring the item in buyers feeds.

Message 42 of 82
Latest reply

dismal sales again

It's been happening with me for around 18 months now - My pattern is usually 3 to 4 weeks on & then a week off - Then the lights will slowly come back on State by State - Usually the first is Qld followed by WA, then Victoria, & then all. Like most of us I thought at first that it was just coincidence, but it's been happening too long now to ignore it and it's gotten to a point where I can nearly set my Watch by it... Why do they do it?.... I don't know - There is obviously something in it for them... The really sad thing about it is that I fear that absolutely nothing can be done about it - Ebay is generally seen as the enemy of Australian Commerce because of the huge flood of cheap Goods on offer from O/Seas, so G'ment Depts like the ACCC etc don't want to know about it. IMHO they are all secretly hoping it will all eventually fall over & go away - AND it probably will to a large extent come July next year when the Tax & Duty Free Threshold for imported Goods is lowered to $0.00.
Message 43 of 82
Latest reply

dismal sales again

'sales are all bunched up - nearly always weekends, then nothing for the rest of the week or weeks and then the cycle repeats again...'

the sheets on my bed do the same thing.

Message 44 of 82
Latest reply

dismal sales again

Thanks for ur replies guys ... yup so it isnt my imagination then. It is some kind of lights on & off thing probably. The only good thing is nothing stays the same in Ebay for too long. If tthey are tinkering with visibility of our items.... maybe they'll stop when their profits are down too. Spending is generally down all over the economy too of course in the leadup to another stupid election. That always happens each time, doesnt it. So at least when that's done we should expect a bump in sales! Can only hope!:Smiley Frustrated

Message 45 of 82
Latest reply

dismal sales again

Hey Yeah! same here - Maybe u bought the sheets on Ebay too??
Message 46 of 82
Latest reply

dismal sales again

I've got a product that I will sell several times times a day, going to all states, then after about 3 or 4 days all orders will stop.

After a week or two of no orders at all, the same cycle will repeat.

Almost as though ebay has decided I have sold enough and cuts me off......

Message 47 of 82
Latest reply

dismal sales again

Yes I know what you mean .. I dont think its the customers all buying OR all not buying!... It's more like some sort of visibility of our products. Because it used to be, I would have just sent off items then there would be another sale, & another sale coming thru seperately. Then I'd have to stop & do them BUT now I pack them off in a group about Mon arvo or Tues Morn- then NOTHING til next Mon/ Tues. Very baffling as customers cant all be shopping in a set pattern like this of their own accord. It's something else.... a mystery! 

Message 48 of 82
Latest reply

dismal sales again

I have my own theory on this lights on/off business

I do searches - newly listed, a certain category, but I don't put the category I want

in the search parameter

I use  'all categories'  in case someone has listed in the wrong place.  It happens

and sometimes I find a bargain.

Now, when I refresh during the day,  if I don't pay attention, I end up with

books and magazines, cars boats and bikes,  antiques etc

Ebay changes the category, randomly

Sooo then I miss stuff, don't I?   Cos what I want is not in those categories.

That's my theory, anyway.      Some say it's just me    

Message 49 of 82
Latest reply

dismal sales again

well i'm thinkin that dismal isnt very popular anymore, omo sells much better.

yes i remember the cool tv ads for dismal

'buy new DISMAL, it gets whites really white'

but it really didnt

Message 50 of 82
Latest reply