eBay Payments and Paypal

Hi All

I have tried searching a difinitive anser on this but wasn`t able to find one. Once eBays new payment system start, am I right in saying as far as selling on eBay, I will have no need at all to have a Paypal account ? So basically, I could just cancel my Paypal account altogether, and it won`t affect my selling on eBay ?

Thank You in advance

Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

eBay Payments and Paypal

@heihachi_73 wrote:

Wonderful job eBay, rather than continuing to use a modern payment platform that runs 24/7/365 and works within seconds of a sale, let's use a 20th century payment platform that doesn't do anything after 4PM or on weekends or the insane amount of public holidays we have in this country (never mind the ATM genocide that has been happening over the past ten years), so when the typical rush of sales occurs near the end of the week we can all wait until Monday, Tuesday or even Wednesday before the money actually shows up. It might make sense if the banks in Australia had moved out of the 1980s like certain other countries have, but that isn't the case. I'll stick with PayPal on eBay until the very end. Not that Managed Payments is worth a sh%t anyway since they don't allow coins to be sold - there must have been too many money launderers selling commemorative 50c pieces.

PayPal will still have its uses long after eBay drops them - every other site that still accepts it.

I agree in part. There will most probably be delays getting the money into our bank accounts. For example, a buyer makes a purchase on Thursday morning before Easter.  Assuming it clears immediately in Paypal, we could get it in the post Thursday afternoon and although it would be held up in the post over the 4 day long weekend, at least it would be on it's way, supply the buyer with tracking number etc.

OR

Ebay transfers the money to our bank, God only knows how long it would take to clear into our account, floating around somewhere for at least 4 days. In my case it would be longer because transfers inward take forever, with the exception of paypal transfers, they go in pretty fast. Meanwhile, are we expected to post before that money clears? I certainly won't be.

There is a chance of course that Ebay transfers might go in faster, but even if they do, as it is with paypal, we have immediate access to that money to spend directly from paypal if we choose, or immediate access to do refunds if necessary. Just imagine how long it would take to refund a buyer for a basic error like purchasing and paying for a pick up item from the other side of the country, of just a standard change of mind refund, if the transfer has already been set in motion.

In the words of the great Roy and HG, I think it will be a dog's breakfast

Message 11 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

@11dustyattic wrote:

I agree in part. There will most probably be delays getting the money into our bank accounts. For example, a buyer makes a purchase on Thursday morning before Easter.  Assuming it clears immediately in Paypal, we could get it in the post Thursday afternoon and although it would be held up in the post over the 4 day long weekend, at least it would be on it's way, supply the buyer with tracking number etc.

OR

Ebay transfers the money to our bank, God only knows how long it would take to clear into our account, floating around somewhere for at least 4 days...

Exactly what are you basing this on?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 12 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

Several years of putting up with certain banks taking several days to process PayPal transfers I would imagine. I can't see Managed Payments being any faster. Maybe credit card accounts are faster than savings, who knows. A couple of years ago Westpac used to be able to do PayPal transfers overnight when they trialled the NPP system, but they inexplicably reverted back to the old system (or at least a system that is as slow as the old system).
Message 13 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

@heihachi_73 wrote:
Several years of putting up with certain banks taking several days to process PayPal transfers I would imagine. I can't see Managed Payments being any faster. Maybe credit card accounts are faster than savings, who knows. A couple of years ago Westpac used to be able to do PayPal transfers overnight when they trialled the NPP system, but they inexplicably reverted back to the old system (or at least a system that is as slow as the old system).

If I make a transfer out of PayPal before roughly 2pm on a weekday, that money hits my transaction account generally no later than late afternoon or early evening that same day.

I understand some banks might be slower, so if that's a critical thing, don't bank with those banks.  But I don't understand people complaining about how terrible MP's clearance speed is going to be when a) they're yet to use it, and b) they're still yet to use it.

Message 14 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

@11dustyattic wrote:

OR

Ebay transfers the money to our bank, God only knows how long it would take to clear into our account, floating around somewhere for at least 4 days. In my case it would be longer because transfers inward take forever, with the exception of paypal transfers, they go in pretty fast. Meanwhile, are we expected to post before that money clears? I certainly won't be.

There is a chance of course that Ebay transfers might go in faster, but even if they do, as it is with paypal, we have immediate access to that money to spend directly from paypal if we choose, or immediate access to do refunds if necessary. Just imagine how long it would take to refund a buyer for a basic error like purchasing and paying for a pick up item from the other side of the country, of just a standard change of mind refund, if the transfer has already been set in motion.

This appears to be a bit of a hurdle for a lot of sellers - this thought that if a payment hits the PayPal account balance immediately, the item is paid for and you can send, but under ebay managed payments, the order isn't paid for until the money hits your bank account, which could take 1-5 days, or something like that. 

This isn't how it's designed to work.

Sellers will need to start looking at their eBay payments account in the same way as they look at their PayPal account. When a buyer's payment clears, your eBay payments account balance will grow in the same way your PayPal balance grows - the order is paid for, and it's time to send (within your regular handling time, that is). 

In other words, if you wait for the money to transfer from eBay to your bank account before you consider the item paid for, it would be the same as waiting for PayPal money to tranfer to your bank account before you send an order. 

Of course, I understand there will be some key differences that will require adjustment - the first one will be the frequency of eBay despits, and how long they take to appear in a bank account (I expect this will vary from bank to bank, but for most is will likely be the day after the transfer is made). Perhaps the biggest adjustment will be for sellers who use PayPal funds immediately to pay for things, especially if it's postage labels or other costs associated with getting a buyer's order on the way - I know it's easier for some than others to keep a balance available for those kinds of costs when you can't immediately spend the money from eBay like you can with PayPal, so for sellers in that position, I suggest waiting at least until others who are on managed payments can provide some info as to what options are available for frequency of deposits and average time to appear in bank accounts, and consider (if necessary) an adjustment to handling time to account for that. 

Message 15 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

@digital*ghost wrote:

@11dustyattic wrote:

OR

This appears to be a bit of a hurdle for a lot of sellers - this thought that if a payment hits the PayPal account balance immediately, the item is paid for and you can send, but under ebay managed payments, the order isn't paid for until the money hits your bank account, which could take 1-5 days, or something like that. 

This isn't how it's designed to work.

Sellers will need to start looking at their eBay payments account in the same way as they look at their PayPal account. When a buyer's payment clears, your eBay payments account balance will grow in the same way your PayPal balance grows - the order is paid for, and it's time to send (within your regular handling time, that is). 

In other words, if you wait for the money to transfer from eBay to your bank account before you consider the item paid for, it would be the same as waiting for PayPal money to tranfer to your bank account before you send an order. 

Of course, I understand there will be some key differences that will require adjustment - the first one will be the frequency of eBay despits, and how long they take to appear in a bank account (I expect this will vary from bank to bank, but for most is will likely be the day after the transfer is made). Perhaps the biggest adjustment will be for sellers who use PayPal funds immediately to pay for things, especially if it's postage labels or other costs associated with getting a buyer's order on the way - I know it's easier for some than others to keep a balance available for those kinds of costs when you can't immediately spend the money from eBay like you can with PayPal, so for sellers in that position, I suggest waiting at least until others who are on managed payments can provide some info as to what options are available for frequency of deposits and average time to appear in bank accounts, and consider (if necessary) an adjustment to handling time to account for that. 

I don't agree. I've always felt you work for Ebay. This just sounds like an ad. Gut instinct but who are you trying to kid with this load of drivel

Message 16 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

Don't agree with what, exactly - do you have something of substance in that gut, or is it just things of little substance all churning about in there? 

Message 17 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

Yes mate but not sharing sorry

Message 18 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

@digital*ghost wrote:

I didn't realise people were failing to make this connection.  I guess when PayPal is accepted as a payment method for just about anything, everyone thinks of it as an online bank of sorts.

Message 19 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

@digital*ghost wrote:

Don't agree with what, exactly - do you have something of substance in that gut, or is it just things of little substance all churning about in there? 

@11dustyattic wrote:

Yes mate but not sharing sorry

That substance wouldn't be 80 proof by chance, would it?

Message 20 of 41
Latest reply