eBay Payments and Paypal

Hi All

I have tried searching a difinitive anser on this but wasn`t able to find one. Once eBays new payment system start, am I right in saying as far as selling on eBay, I will have no need at all to have a Paypal account ? So basically, I could just cancel my Paypal account altogether, and it won`t affect my selling on eBay ?

Thank You in advance

Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

eBay Payments and Paypal

@tazzieterror wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

Don't agree with what, exactly - do you have something of substance in that gut, or is it just things of little substance all churning about in there? 

@11dustyattic wrote:

Yes mate but not sharing sorry

That substance wouldn't be 80 proof by chance, would it?

It IS the weekend.

Message 21 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

@tazzieterror wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

Sellers will need to start looking at their eBay payments account in the same way as they look at their PayPal account. When a buyer's payment clears, your eBay payments account balance will grow in the same way your PayPal balance grows - the order is paid for, and it's time to send (within your regular handling time, that is). 

I didn't realise people were failing to make this connection.  I guess when PayPal is accepted as a payment method for just about anything, everyone thinks of it as an online bank of sorts.

It functions day to day that way for the most part, because of how the balance can be used, but they have much more power over someone's balance than any bank, and now people are thinking about eBay having that same power over their money, and I agree it's a scary thought as I daresay more sellers have had bad experiences with eBay than they have had with PayPal.

PayPal's limitations aren't at the forefront of people's minds anymore. I still remember when it wasn't like that at all. Things changed pretty slowly, but using the balance to pay for purchases on eBay plus occasionally off eBay was the only way it could once be spent - the first time I was able to pay for a pizza delivery using PayPal was a revelation Smiley LOL (and an abomination, because now I buy take out far too often Smiley Embarassed ). After Aus Post eventually caved to pressure and allowed labels to be purchased through My Post using PayPal, I don't remember feeling too much frustration that money was in PayPal and not in hand.  

These limitations will apply to an eBay account balance, so I know those frustrations are going to come back in to play - I recognise I'm probably quite lucky, both to have become used to it being the case with money made through other sites, and because I'm even more lucky that I have available funds to pay for things while money sits in these other site's payment accounts - that wasn't always the case for me, so I know it's going to be something other sellers will have to deal with down the line. 

To be absolutely clear in general to anyone reading through my posts, though - I was willing to just take the plunge for reasons of my own, but I am not trying to encourage others to do the same, I'm just trying to answer questions others have as best I can, with what info is available (and in the future, what info will become available to me as a user). I'm also trying to put the estimated experience of what being on managed payments will be, using my experience with similar payment systems on other sites as a frame of reference, in the hopes that the process will become a bit more understandable for those who haven't experienced these systems before. If you have reservations, absolutely defer switching over for as long as it's possible, and definitely hold off on switching if you make a good amount of sales to overseas buyers, too, since from what I can gather, the availability of listings from sellers on managed payments to international buyers, is limited. 

@dusty - no need to apologise, it was a challenge, but I was under no illusions that you'd meet it. 

Message 22 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

@digital*ghost wrote:

@tazzieterror wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

Sellers will need to start looking at their eBay payments account in the same way as they look at their PayPal account. When a buyer's payment clears, your eBay payments account balance will grow in the same way your PayPal balance grows - the order is paid for, and it's time to send (within your regular handling time, that is). 

I didn't realise people were failing to make this connection.  I guess when PayPal is accepted as a payment method for just about anything, everyone thinks of it as an online bank of sorts.

It functions day to day that way for the most part, because of how the balance can be used, but they have much more power over someone's balance than any bank, and now people are thinking about eBay having that same power over their money, and I agree it's a scary thought as I daresay more sellers have had bad experiences with eBay than they have had with PayPal.

PayPal's limitations aren't at the forefront of people's minds anymore. I still remember when it wasn't like that at all. Things changed pretty slowly, but using the balance to pay for purchases on eBay plus occasionally off eBay was the only way it could once be spent - the first time I was able to pay for a pizza delivery using PayPal was a revelation Smiley LOL (and an abomination, because now I buy take out far too often Smiley Embarassed ). After Aus Post eventually caved to pressure and allowed labels to be purchased through My Post using PayPal, I don't remember feeling too much frustration that money was in PayPal and not in hand.  

I'm pretty sure my first PayPal-funded pizza purchase would only have been in the last 18 months, so I managed to resist that one long enough.  

But yes, one of PayPal's strengths has been its ubiquity in recent years - no need for someone to withdraw funds from them when they'll likely have something to spend it on in the immediate future. And in the meantime...PayPal has a nice big balance sitting somewhere, no doubt earning them a little more again.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 23 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

@digital*ghost wrote:

@tazzieterror wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

These limitations will apply to an eBay account balance, so I know those frustrations are going to come back in to play - I recognise I'm probably quite lucky, both to have become used to it being the case with money made through other sites, and because I'm even more lucky that I have available funds to pay for things while money sits in these other site's payment accounts - that wasn't always the case for me, so I know it's going to be something other sellers will have to deal with down the line. 

To be absolutely clear in general to anyone reading through my posts, though - I was willing to just take the plunge for reasons of my own, but I am not trying to encourage others to do the same, I'm just trying to answer questions others have as best I can, with what info is available (and in the future, what info will become available to me as a user). I'm also trying to put the estimated experience of what being on managed payments will be, using my experience with similar payment systems on other sites as a frame of reference, in the hopes that the process will become a bit more understandable for those who haven't experienced these systems before. If you have reservations, absolutely defer switching over for as long as it's possible, and definitely hold off on switching if you make a good amount of sales to overseas buyers, too, since from what I can gather, the availability of listings from sellers on managed payments to international buyers, is limited. 

@dusty - no need to apologise, it was a challenge, but I was under no illusions that you'd meet it. 

I didn't read that, too long  whatever mate. I'm sticking with my theory

Message 24 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

@davewil1964 wrote:

@tazzieterror wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

Don't agree with what, exactly - do you have something of substance in that gut, or is it just things of little substance all churning about in there? 

@11dustyattic wrote:

Yes mate but not sharing sorry

That substance wouldn't be 80 proof by chance, would it?

It IS the weekend.

Hahaha again? No mate, no drink or drugs in my life. Zero, zip! What about you?

Message 25 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

@11dustyattic wrote:
...and definitely hold off on switching if you make a good amount of sales to overseas buyers, too, since from what I can gather, the availability of listings from sellers on managed payments to international buyers, is limited. 

I didn't read that, too long  whatever mate. I'm sticking with my theory

I read it all on your behalf, dusty. As usual, d*g made some excellent points, backed up by thoughtful reasoning, plus a little bit of humour thrown in.

But I agree that if you're wanting to stick with your "theory" it would be best to avoid reading too much of what d*g has to say as logic and reasoning does tend to be effective at countering conspiracy, speculation, and drama.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 26 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ It's all good - only the very last, single line was addressed to dusty.

If that is too long to read, there's not much I can do to try and communicate, other than perhaps some inflective grunting, which is not a good look for a modern girl (with a few select exceptions Smiley Surprised You know, like opening stubborn jars n' stuff Smiley LOL ). 

Plus, if someone freely admits that not reading anything is preferred so that personal beliefs theories can be maintained, then I know all I need to know, anyway. ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Message 27 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

Hello, everyone. It's very important to keep your discussion relevant to the topic. If you have something else to talk about, please start a new thread. Remember irrelevant posts might be removed. Thanks.
Message 28 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

@gewens wrote:
Hello, everyone. It's very important to keep your discussion relevant to the topic. If you have something else to talk about, please start a new thread. Remember irrelevant posts might be removed. Thanks.

Due respect but when I'm accused of being an alcoholic, I have a right to reply surely?

Message 29 of 41
Latest reply

eBay Payments and Paypal

I will defend to the death your right to reply.

Um...where on here were you accused of being an alcoholic

Message 30 of 41
Latest reply