eBay charged $0.06 for 2nd store category for months when I didn't exceed monthly limit !!!

This is my first post ever after selling more than 15+ years on eBay. I've just had the longest day on the phone with eBay "Support".

I've just noticed that eBay has been charging me for months for 2nd store category. My selling limit is 250k listings, but only have under 20k listed on eBay.

Under "Important Disclosure" at the eBay fee Table (last updated on 8th Jan 2019), it stated clearly that "if listed in 2 categories, insertion & feature fees are doubled". Sure thing, but how can you double the $0 fee amount to $0.06 when I am still clearly under my monthly limit???!!!

If listing in 2 categorie is a selling feature, why that "fee" is not shown on the complete fee table? "fee may apply" but how much???

You don't state that fee, then you can't charge that fee ! Especially when I'm still under the limit !!!!

"support" supervisor said he will credit all those insertion fees, but want me to remove the 2nd store category in avoid fee in future listing. I said "NO - EBAY CHANGE THE DISCLOSURE STATEMENT WITH THAT FEE CLEARLY STATED, THEN I WILL DECIDE IF I WILL PAY IT OR REMOVE FROM MY LISTINGS".

Sure just 6 cents, but with 18k listings...Imagine all those sellers who didn't check their eBay statements regularly, and all those fees!

Anyone here agree with what I'm doing here?

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: eBay charged $0.06 for 2nd store category for months when I didn't exceed monthly limit !!!

I'm not sure what you've been reading but it's possible you're misunderstanding the following (from this page https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/selling-fees/optional-subscriptions😞

• If you choose to list in two categories, any fees for optional features will be charged twice (once for each category).

Listing in two categories isn't an optional feature itself.  It's the optional features that you're charged twice for, not a listing fee for listing in two categories.

This page explains it quite clearly re listing in a second category:

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/selling-fees/store-fees?id=4122

It says this just under the insertion fees table (you have to click on the + for it to appear):

On the third line of the Insertion Fees table it says the insertion fee for an Anchor store is 5c, so they must be rounding it up to 6c when they add GST.   Listing in a second category isn't part of your free listing entitlement, it's an extra cost.  The free listing entitlement is only for the first category you list in.

Your selling limits are irrelevant.  If you reached your selling limit you wouldn't be able to list anything else, full stop.  It has nothing to do with an anchor store.  Anchor stores are allowed 250,000 listings but they still get charged the 5c extra for every listing that's in two categories.

Message 11 of 45
Latest reply

Re: eBay charged $0.06 for 2nd store category for months when I didn't exceed monthly limit !!!

http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/sites/default/files/complete_fee_table_AU.pdf

Down the bottom of this page it says:

If you list an item in two categories:
- You'll pay an insertion fee for the second category, regardless of whether
you're using a free listing. Any feature fees will be charged twice (once for
each category)

The feature fees are a separate issue to the insertion fee for the 2nd category and relate to things like sub-titles, etc.

Ebay have made it quite clear what the charges are and haven't hidden anything.  If you've never been charged for using a second category in the past you can count yourself lucky.

Message 12 of 45
Latest reply

On the stores fees page that I had in my previous post, it also says this:

• The free insertion fee only applies to the first category on your listing. If you choose to list your item in two categories, you'll pay an insertion fee for the listing in the second category.

That means they've explained twice on that page that you'll be charged an insertion fee for anything listed in two categories.  You can't say they haven't disclosed it when I easily found it explained in three places, plus others that I haven't bothered quoting because they only say the same thing.

Message 13 of 45
Latest reply

Just found another listing of mine that has a fee on the 2nd category, but that fee is not $0.06 BUT $3.85

Everything are the same as other listings at the same categories, so can any one explain this one?

Over the phone with eBay, they can't explained it AND promised to refund once again, but do I have to go one by one for my 18k lising to find this fee for them???

Message 14 of 45
Latest reply

More information is needed, but as I got no thanks for the time I spent last time I won't be spending time on this one.
Message 15 of 45
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
More information is needed, but as I got no thanks for the time I spent last time I won't be spending time on this one.

It also helps when the OP uses the one account for messages, rather than multiple accounts in a thread. It gets too confusing trying to work out if it's the OP, or someone else having a similar issue.

Message 16 of 45
Latest reply

I've been too busy to spend much time on the boards for more than a week. I am just reading this thread now for the first time.

I will offer my thanks as it answers a question I had.

Thanks for your time doing the research brer.

My question was how did I know that second catagories are not free if the information is hard to find? Apparently it's not that hard to find.

BTW, the person asking about a 3.85 fee is as different poster. They could probably find the answer by following the links you previously provided though.

Message 17 of 45
Latest reply

I just noticed manin803 is registered in the US. Just as well I didn't waste any time on them!
Message 18 of 45
Latest reply

Hi All   I am in a battle with ebay over second category fees and the 6 cents

As of two months ago there was no charge for a second category but without warning or an announcment they are now charging 6 cents for a second category (ebay not your store cat)

The good stuff

I noticed it first when I did a relist of an unpaid item . I clicked relist , scroolled scrolled to get it over and done with and clicked relist. Jast as I did I saw 6 cents as the fee. At first I thought it was an ebay slippery to get some money from the transaction they lost a selling fee on

I then look at my bill and it was and still is going up faster than a rocket to the moon.

I called ebay and was told there has always been a 2nd Cat. fees .I said "lies" look at my bill . A few more calls and it turns out it is a ebay slipper but on a grand scale . Check ebay USA store prices  . Structured diffenenlty but the same slippery by another name and why a large number of sellers disapeared about a year ago.

Well cant stop them raising fees so avoid them ,revise and remove 2 nd Cat.

The best part is if you try to avoid the 2nd Cat. fees it cant be done. If you use ebays listing tool and do a bulk edit it will say "success your listings were revised" but when you check the 2nd cat. is still there and the bill looks like its on the nose cone of a rocket to the moon

A call to ebay finds that the tool is defective and cant revise more than one listing at a time so a case of ebay with an "Item Not As Described"

Many ebay promises later  "we will contact you within 24 -48 hour"  from now  and yet another INAD with no call back

Still chasing ebay as you cant trust an ebay promise as not one has been kept  Cant comment yet on the removal of the charges as there is no answer yet just we will get back to you promises which I have to do the call back as they dont do them just promise them

We are almost to the point of I am going to say sue me or I will make a civil claim for damages which ever comes first . As of yesterday I have had my account limited which looks like items are not relisting so far

If a story hits the news for a court claim against ebay  even if it has to seem like its click bait  give it a read  its no click bait  and I will be going for every inch of my claim

I have all day and sleep 5 hours a night (more like 2 1/2 hours a time)  so plenty of time to make life hell for ebay and no real cost for a few forms and the odd interview for the curious TV reporter

Message 19 of 45
Latest reply

So you didn't actually read what brer wrote.

I have always been under the impression that there is a charge for listing in a second category. Probably something to do with reading the FAQs for selling before I started.

You seem to have gotten away with it, at no charge, for a long time.

At one per minute it should only take 600 hours to edit them individually. One month at the 20 hours per day you have available. After all it represents a return of $3.60 per hour in fees saved.

Message 20 of 45
Latest reply