eBay code as a means of stalking by competitors

Recently I set up a brand new seller account. Why? Because on my old seller account, I was being harassed by a rival eBay seller, who used eBay messaging, and some rather invasive search tools, presumably eBay's own, to go through all of my recent sales and purchases, with a view to accusing me of wrongdoing, and intimidating me out of business. This was duly reported to eBay, but the chat service broke midway through the complaint process. Go eBay!

Fast forward about a year, and I have a pristine seller account, with just 1 item listed (Catha edulis seeds). The listing had been up for about a day, when suddenly I had at least 2 "followers."  Sales were popular, but before I could get paid, eBay cancelled the listing, presumably on the basis of some hostile report (since the automated eBay process found no issues whatsoever with my original listing).

This reminds me -- disturbingly -- of the previous stalking behaviour I was subjected to in the eBay community. I could name names .... but won't. 

eBay needs to step up to ensure the safety of all members. Who are these mystery "followers" of mine? Why should we pay such a high premium for eBay services that leave us feeling uneasy, and unsafe? 

I'm not the criminal here. Rather, the eBay platform itself has become a "carrier service" for the conduct of criminal abuse, harassment, and intimidation. Not a nice place to do business at all. 

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: eBay code as a means of stalking by competitors

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I'm uncertain as to the legalities of growing Catha edulis (khat) in Australia.

But I think the US driven bots have decided it is illegal.

I think your paranoia has gotten the better of you and it was simply the bots that decided to end your listing as it is illegal in the USA

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I disagree. eBay "bots" come in to force at the time of listing. No such bot prevented me from listing this variety, unlike listings for other prohibited (or more accurately: eBay-blacklisted) plant species. Other members have sold seeds for this variety over past weeks on eBay in my jurisdiction, apparently without issue.

No need to be nasty about it either. You don't know me from Adam, so keep your judgement -- "paranoia" -- to yourself. @imastawka

See what I mean? The eBay community is bristling with negative energy, crawling with users who want to take you down, and keep you there.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

And let's not forget the subject of this post. eBay is in complete denial, that its platform enables and facilitates the conduct of illegal activity: harassment, invasion of privacy, stalking and online threats. Yes, these things (but not my plant sales) really are unlawful in my jurisdiction. 

As regards the sale of ethnobotanical plants, eBay's so-called "illegal drugs policy" is simply a way of policing minority groups (Muslims, in the case of Catha edulis) -- even in jurisdictions where the plant is fully lawful to possess and trade. 

Good corporate citizen? Don't make me laugh. I don't think eBay even pays taxes in my jurisdiction. 

So yeah, what was I thinking, coming back to this place? 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@wachumacallit wrote:

No need to be nasty about it either. You don't know me from Adam, so keep your judgement -- "paranoia" -- to yourself. @imastawka

See what I mean? The eBay community is bristling with negative energy, crawling with users who want to take you down, and keep you there.

I see nothing wrong with stawka's reply to your post.

If you have come here looking for a pat on the back and a "there there" type of reply then you have come to the wrong place.

I only recently learned what khat was.   I saw an episode of "Border Security International" where a traveller had two bags full of khat.  It wasn't allowed to be imported into Canada.

I did a quick google search and found that it can't be brought into Australia.

Not sure about growing it here or selling seeds.  Perhaps you could provide links to inform us about this.

https://www.odc.gov.au/khat/importing-khat-australia

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

That'll give him something to chew on. lol

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

So what is the code, where is your proof.   Listings can be/are  pulled/removed at anytime, nothing new there.

Yes, listings can be reported by anyone and any number of agencies, be they private, government, international trade/security organizations , etc etc etc.

Think what you do on internet sites is private, think again, but you can limit what you make available.

Note:   Be careful who is monitoring your electronic/smart devices, don't trust the fridge or especially the microwave.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply