eBay removed my listing, a banana plant Musa ‘Goldfinger’ because they say it’s a noxious weed

I was stunned when I saw a message from eBay saying:

Your listing was removed because you listed an item that is on the state noxious weed list.Some federal, state, and local laws prohibit the sale of certain types of plants or seeds that are considered "exotic" or "noxious" weeds. eBay urges its sellers and buyers to comply with all governmental laws and regulations. The Australian Department of Environment and Heritage prohibits the importation and interstate movement of federally defined noxious weeds, sellers are restricted in their listing of them on eBay.Please do not relist this item.

We encourage you to list items that follow our policies, so please take a moment to familiarise yourself with this information. Be sure that your current and future listings, including any items that are relisted automatically, follow these guidelines. If they don’t, they'll be removed and your fees may not be refunded. It could also result in additional actions, including loss of buying and selling privileges on eBay.

If you have any concerns or questions, click "Help & Contact" at the top of most eBay pages.

Here's a list of the item(s) that were removed:
302975616527 - Musa sapientum ‘Goldfinger’ Rare Variegated Banana Plant Fruit Tree

Is it me or is this just crazy? Also, what’s going to happen to the farmers in QLD with their banana, I mean noxious weed plantations? And I guess my memories of visiting ‘The Big Noxious Weed’ as a kid will be just that now, memories 🤪

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

eBay removed my listing, a banana plant Musa ‘Goldfinger’ because they say it’s a noxious weed

I can't find any reference to 'Goldfinger' bananas being restricted in Australia. Try your listing again with the proper name of Musa paradisiaca in case it is the old botanical name that has somehow been tagged. Or leave out the botanical name altogether.

Latest reply

What I don’t understand maranock is that there is a listing on at the moment very similar, it does have Musa paradisiaca so maybe that’s why. I have contacted eBay twice and they just keep saying why it was removed and not answering my question of how is a banana plant a noxious weed and where are you getting your information
Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

In Australia It is illegal to sell or distibute Banana plants, or cuttings unless you are an approved Nursery (approved by the Government) 

Anyone wishing to grow a Banana tree in Australia has to get a permit and they are then directed to approved suppliers.

It has to do with preventing the spread of disease which would wipe out our Banana Industry. 

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

1.JPG

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

@plant_hoarder wrote:
What I don’t understand maranock is that there is a listing on at the moment very similar, it does have Musa paradisiaca so maybe that’s why. I have contacted eBay twice and they just keep saying why it was removed and not answering my question of how is a banana plant a noxious weed and where are you getting your information

Maybe from here -

https://weeds.dpi.nsw.gov.au/Weeds/Details/358

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Those are old laws that were discarded about ten years ago. Bananas are allowed to be distributed across borders now.

Latest reply

'Goldfinger' is an edible banana, not an ornamental. It is not on the weed list or restricted.

Latest reply

Oops, ran out of time. You do need a (free) permit in Qld, but it is not illegal.

Latest reply