help please with a return

Help please with a return request customer opened tonight.  I sold a top by TS Taking Shape and customer has sent a return request as "not authentic" going as far as calling it fake.  She  sent an email and thanked me on the 20/5/20 for sending an extra top in the parcel and never mentioned anything.

Tonight I get the return request  through ebay reason "Doesn't seem authentic."  I sold it for $14.99 and $8.80 postage.  She is requesting refund of top and postage.  I have been selling for a lot of years on ebay and never had a return request.  I sent a message via the request  to say it is authentic and why did she not contact me and saying I will not give a refund or pay for return postage.  I also attached a copy of the photo in listing of  the TS label.

What I want to know does ebay take into account  the information I have provided, as I have read on the boards so often that buyers just get refunded and the Seller is out of pocket?  It is the principle if it was an error on my behalf I would have refunded straight away, but just a little bit angry at the moment.

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Oh dear it makes sense what you said  and all the other helpful replies with accepting return and I know thats what I should do to keep my selling record perfect  but I have not had any strikes on my account before and just thinking one may not make much difference.  Last night and earlier today  I was ready to refund  but now feel  I want to stand up for myself .

Will keep you updated, I have until tomorrow to make a decision.  Stand up for whats right or give in to a dodgy buyer .  Plus I am keeping in mind the advice from your helpful posts regarding accepting return and know that is what I need to do to avoid a strike..  At the moment I am waiting to hear back from buyer in reply to my message as on the Return Request was an option to send message to Buyer.   Nothing as yet.

This is going through my mind  - Pride comes before a Fall

Thank you

Message 11 of 33
Latest reply

I would ask the buyer to return it. 

Having to package the item up, and head off to the post office may dissuade her if she is not genuine.

Message 12 of 33
Latest reply

But I think the issue is if it's considered a fake (whether correct or not) eBay can't ask the buyer to return it as mailing a fake is illegal, as padi mentioned earlier.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 13 of 33
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:
But I think the issue is if it's considered a fake (whether correct or not) eBay can't ask the buyer to return it as mailing a fake is illegal, as padi mentioned earlier.

I've never been able to find any reference to that in relation to domestic freight through AP's website but I could be using the wrong search terms. There is information re import and export. Does anyone have a link to the domestic information? 

I'm not questioning it, rather I've had a couple of instances when being able to quote the source would have been useful.

Thanks

Message 14 of 33
Latest reply

If the buyer is in Australia no-one is going to know what is in the parcel as there is no inspection of the contents.

If I was the seller I would ask for the item to be returned for a full refund or show some proof that it is fake.

I have never known ebay not to ask for 3rd party confirmation that an item is a fake....or to ask the seller for proof that it is not a fake.

Message 15 of 33
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

If the buyer is in Australia no-one is going to know what is in the parcel as there is no inspection of the contents.

Yes but in the same way, we're not allowed to send some hazardous/dangerous items by air despite no one checking. So regardless of the process eBay does/doesn't follow to verify if an item is counterfeit, if their final decision is that the buyer received a fake, AND if Australia Post forbids the carriage of such items (I'm not bothering to verify this myself), then eBay can't very well compel a buyer to return that item.

On the other hand, eBay should probably require evidence of the item being destroyed before refunding the buyer.

If I was the seller I would ask for the item to be returned for a full refund or show some proof that it is fake.

I have never known ebay not to ask for 3rd party confirmation that an item is a fake....or to ask the seller for proof that it is not a fake.

Message 16 of 33
Latest reply

I've never checked its accuracy either - I'm going by what I've seen posted by other members here - maybe we're all wrong?!

Message 17 of 33
Latest reply

The MBG says the buyer has to provide "compelling evidence" that the item is counterfeit before they are not required to return the item for a refund, and they are also supposed to *cough* agree to destroy /  dispose of the item if they aren't required to return. However, the lack of "compelling evidence" won't mean that the claim will be decided in the seller's favour, it just means eBay don't let them keep it, in a nutshell. This kind of claim, without "compelling evidence" from the buyer, or irrefutable evidence to the contrary by the seller, will almost certainly result in the buyer being required to return for a full refund, at the seller's expense (I can't guarantee it, as these things sometimes have a tendency to be surprising in the worst ways 😞 ). . 

You can report the buyer for abuse of the MBG system regardless of how the case goes, it may not do anything right now, but if the buyer has or develops a habit of things like this, sooner or later eBay will take action (I mean seriously, counterfeit TS? I used to sell quite a lot of that, they're popular [or at least used to be] and aren't exactly cheap, but no one's falling over themselves to produce knockoffs), 

Spoiler
I'm putting "compelling evidence" in quotations, because eBay find certain things compelling that I do not. 
Message 18 of 33
Latest reply

Some great help from yourself and all the other lovely sellers with your messages, but  the latest I was typing a message to seller and went to another tab to get info from item and when I went back to message my mouse went over agreed to refund.  Cannot change now.  Chatted with ebay and asked them to cancel what I clicked and they could not.    They advised to send a message to buyer  saying I accept return but buyer pays for return postage.   I then messaged buyer and say I agree to refund but she pays return postage.  Her reply was she never asked for me to pay for return postage???? 

She also said she has not left Feedback as she was waiting to see the outcome.    I dont think Feedback will be good as I know I should have been polite and apologise and offer refund straight away etc. but I got on my high horse and refuted her claim and  it made me feel better.     Selling secondhand clothes have never had a Neg before and buyers are usually so nice.  (except for the two 0 Feedback I have to open non payment for, both messaged they changed their mind but have to wait the four days. 

Sorry if I as a buyer thought something was a fake would not be offering to pay return postage.  I will just put this down to lesson learnt and maybe it is a good thing my mouse did this as now I will just wait for item to be returned and refund. what she paid .   As stated previously was never about the money was the accusation and the way she went about this.    I also was confused as per previous comments ebay cannot ask for a counterfeit item to be returned, but they have.

On the bright side I did have a  chuckle ****seriously counterfeit Taking Shape***  could be a new trend. be careful when buying TS.

Message 19 of 33
Latest reply

Oh no! The accidental-return-acceptance strikes!

If she leaves a neg you can probably get it removed anyway as you have a perfect record.

We might have to clarify eBay's stance on returning "fakes" as it seems some us might not be accurate in our current understanding (I'm looking at myself here).

In my experience on these boards, anything digital*ghost writes can be pretty much accepted as gospel, so keep that in mind whenever you're reading through on here 🙂

Message 20 of 33
Latest reply