how much would you spend on a item on ebay

I came across this vase on ebay ,very ordianary description no fanfare or measurments or even what designer , who would buy this vace without having an expert look at it , item 191595395996   i had a laugh free posting ,could you imagine going in to a post office and droping into those parcel boxes ,and then seeing the next bloke droping in after you a 20kg parcel ouch  this seller sells cheapish shoes going on feedback .I would of brought it but wanted a matching set  lol  lol

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: how much would you spend on a item on ebay

@collect247 wrote:

What is very suss to me is that it is USPS that posts to Australia but the vase is in Australia VIC ????

The item is listed on the US site, so my guess is the seller couldn't figure out all the postage options - if you list from Oz on the US site, domestic postage is considered to the US, and postage to Australia is considered international (in the listing format, I mean).

Re: expensive items - doesn't PayPal have a $20k limit on payments? I know Buyer Protection is limited to $20k, but I thought there was a maximum amount that you can send via PP as well, so it seems weird that PayPal can even be an option on listings where PayPal can't (maybe) be used, unless they make exceptions, or something. o_O

The most expensive purchase I made on eBay is $220, from memory. I would make a more expensive purchase (probably excluding certain types of items, like electronics) if the price and seller was right. I don't mistrust eBay or sellers (as a buyer), but when I'm spending hundreds of dollars, these days most all of the time, I find better options elsewhere. 

Message 11 of 29
Latest reply

@brownowl-14 wrote:

What the .......! If I had that much money to spend on a diamond ring the last place I'd be looking is Ebay. I would be off to the best manufacturing jeweller I could find. No wait a minute, I'd be flying the best manufacturing jeweller I could find in on my private jet to design exactly what I wanted.

I guess some people dream big (that's me) others think big. Imagine the FVF on that sale!

Apparently rabbitearbandicoot has a private jet too... you must be from the same wealthy family...

Message 12 of 29
Latest reply

Ha ha......... only in my dreams!

Message 13 of 29
Latest reply

Not a chance in heck! I don't care if it's rare, if it doesn't catch my eye I don't want it!

Message 14 of 29
Latest reply

Yeah same here. I love pretty dresses but if someone's like "don't you want that one, it's designer!", I'm just like, "nah who cares".

Message 15 of 29
Latest reply

Damn, it has a chip in the top so I'd only be willing to give them $440,000 ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply

HOW MUCH WOULD I SPEND ON EBAY ?

I have purchased several rare books on ebay. The dearest being $4,500 for one dating from around 1670. This may sound expensive but the same book sold to the dealer I purchased it from in a Southerby's auction in England for $6,500 around 12 months earlier. The dealer obviously needed the money.

I purchased a set of first edition Australian explorers books from Europe for $1000 on ebay. Again it sounds like a bit of money, but I later sold these at a fine books auction in Australia for $4,800. I must admit though, that spending this sort of money on books from overseas dealers on ebay is a bit nerve wracking. I have only spent this sort of money with highly reputable book dealers who describe their items accuratly and in fine detail.

Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

Wow ......... where do you find these listings ....... LOL.
Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

It would need to be ming dynasty as far as I am concerned and even then I wouldn't be able to bid, it costs almost as much as my house!

There wasn't near enough info, I can't believe they are serious about selling it.

Message 19 of 29
Latest reply

Many moons ago, ebay used to have a search tool or category for unusual items and I loved browsing that.

I saw some really odd stuff.

Up in Darwin I think it was, there was a croc head, mouth wide open and inside was a cigarette lighter. It was displayed next to a swimming pool. Tasteful bit of decor to add to your alfresco area.Smiley Very Happy

And who could forget the special shelving. It was displayed in a warehouse and almost reached the roof of it. It was actually a tree, or it had been, and the branches had been stripped and planed flat for displaying all your wares. Just right for a greenie and a steal for only $600 or so.

Or the US ebay where feedback didn't seem to have any limit on the number of characters a person could use, so some buyers went all out with their rage and the sellers gave back as good as they got. You could be entertained for hours reading those.

Sometimes i do miss the old days. Expensive vases and rings etc seem a tad tame in comparison.Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 29
Latest reply