how to cancel an unpaid order

I just signed into ebay to find that an item I have for sale has sold though has not been paid for then find this message from the buyer .

Hi there!
hope you're going well
i'm so so sorry but after an easter wine i accidentally clicked commit to pay on the camera but it was a complete accident & was just wondering if there was any chance I could cancel the order?

I've never had to cancel an order before and am unsure how to do it, any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance to anyone that can help with this

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: how to cancel an unpaid order

Make sure to select, " buyer requested a concellation or there is a problem with buyers address '' as the reason for cancellation. You will recieve a defect with any of the other options which could impact your selling activities.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

An original excuse. Ahem

Personally,and this is just me becuase I am tired of nonsense excuses (2 step process to commit to buy is hardly 'by mistake') I would ignore them, block them and open an unpaid item dispute after 4 days

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

its ok, I worked it out

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

yep, I thought about that enigmabear then just figured I don't need the hassle of it all, lol

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Make sure to select, " buyer requested a concellation or there is a problem with buyers address '' as the reason for cancellation. You will recieve a defect with any of the other options which could impact your selling activities.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Perhaps it would have been a bit of a bother to go down the unpaid item route but it would have been doing a service for yourself and other sellers as it would be recorded against their account and if they ever diid it again they would be blocked from buying from all savvy sellers who have their blocks in place.

The only excuse I will accept for a cancellation is death with a copy of the death certificate provided and verified by a stat dec Cat Wink

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

It's never a good idea to force a buyer to purchase an item they don't want if they have contacted you and come out with a lame excuse.

It can result in a false snad being filed, and neg feedback for the seller.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

@*madison wrote:

It's never a good idea to force a buyer to purchase an item they don't want if they have contacted you and come out with a lame excuse.

That's why opening an unpaid item dispute is the way to go because if they decide to leave negative feedback, eBay removes it as soon as the dispute closes. Once the dispute closes, they are blocked from leaving feedback at all. Lame excuses deserve to be punished. Tell the truth and I might listen.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@*madison wrote:

That's why opening an unpaid item dispute is the way to go because if they decide to leave negative feedback, eBay removes it as soon as the dispute closes. Once the dispute closes, they are blocked from leaving feedback at all. Lame excuses deserve to be punished. Tell the truth and I might listen.

Yes, I know all that, but I said if they are forced to purchase an item they don't want. When an unpaid item is filed the buyer might pay.

Some buyers have paid when a unpaid item is filed, they then file a snad and neg the seller.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

We have been using the unpaid item dispute for years.
Whilst mostly they never pay or communicate those that do end up paying we have never experienced the problem you describe.
Message 10 of 21
Latest reply