how to get more buyers to look at my listings

I have been wondering how I can get more people to view my listings.Atm I seem to only get on average maybe 5 people per listing per 7 day cycle on most items.Maybe I have made some mistakes in the titles I dont know.I dont think its the prices.Is it the photos or is my vintage clothing just boring and no one is into it.Sometimes I am lucky if i sell 5 things a month.If anyone can help that would be great.Thanks in advance if anyone helps.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Title, pics, description look ok.

eBay is very quiet, the quietest I have seen in 12 years.

I have some listings running 20 odd days without a single view.

image host
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

You're a very small fish in a VERY large pond so you're doing well to get as many views as you do.
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Just my opinion and hope some of the following suggestions may help ๐Ÿ™‚

1-Ditch the anorexic Barbie looking manequin with part of her arms missing

2-I wouldn't consider the 1980's and 1990's as vintage when it comes to clothing-edited to add that

I'd call the 1980's retro if anything

3-Fix your postage prices as the below is not okay

For the time being the postage amount is only a guessed amount 
as I have to put an actual postage amount before I can list it to sell.

4-I can see at least one listing that is a not as described waiting to happen as you've written a VERY important point in the Condition section that very few people will read
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

I agree with Foxette re the usage of "vintage".

Strictly speaking, clothing that's 20 years old can be called "vintage" according to quite a few definitions online. I strongly disagree with this definition, and consider it doesn't derive from a genuine authority. Clothing from the '80s is not old enough (in my opinion) to merit the label of "vintage".

You can use the term on eBay; eBay won't penalise you for it. But you will annoy genuine vintage clothing collectors, so I don't think you'll actually gain anything from using the term.

For clothing and textiles and jewellery, I would slightly reluctantly accept items from the '70s as vintage, but would be happier if it applied to 1960s and older.

Clothing, jewellery, etc., from the Edwardian period slide neatly into "antique".

I agree that "retro" sounds like a better term - but it actually means a style that's in imitation of an earlier period. For clothing that's genuinely of the 1980s and 1990s, I think "dates from 1980s", "period 1990s", "pre-owned 1980s/1990s" is more accurate. Stuff from these eras just aren't old enough to have attracted cult and retro use yet (in my opinion - I may be wrong), whereas the '60s and earlier definitely have.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Vintage is used because it isn't a word that actually means "old" or "older than", it's just a word to refer to an era or time, while adding something like "80's vintage" clarifies which era. 

Technically, something I made last week can be legitimately referred to as 2018 vintage. 

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

While I agree with you that the term " vintage " should not apply to clothes from the 1980,s it can be regarded as such by many buyers.

The daughter aged 16 runs her own retro clothing shop on another website that is used by teenagers and early 20's. A quality item of clothing from the 1980,s is more than twice as old as the daughter. These kids consider a classic pair of 1980,s Levi jeans to be vintage and VERY OLD......Smiley Very Happy. The daughter also currently has a genuine early 1980,s Disco era jacket with heavy embroidered patches, BIG shoulder pads and bright colours. Its an absolute classic piece and looks like something Effy would wear.

This is considered absolute vintage by the kids, as are Corduroy jackets, ( popular ) 1980,s & 90,s Nike shoes, ( very valuable ) Addidas tops ( remember them )  and old band T shirts by bands such as the Ramones and Guns and Roses. Its all in the eye of the beholder.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Maybe "vintage" is one of those terms for which the eye of the beholder sets the individual definition...?

I would love to get hold of some Fortuny gowns; they're my definition of fabulous vintage!

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I just had a look at your items and I quite like your fashion style. The biggest problem I see is that your items would mainly appeal to a younger buyer who is into retro fashion. This is quite popular at the moment amongst a younger age group and there is definately a market for some of the things you have. THE PROBLEM - Most younger people view ebay a bit like facebook. Its something their mums and dads and granny does and they dont want to do the same things their parents do.

RESULT - they are shopping on other sites with stores run by trendy young things who buy and sell with other trendy young things. There is also a disclaimer on these sites - OLD PEOPLE NOT WELCOME, ITS OURS-Smiley Very Happy The daughter does quite a good trade from her little shop and has sold 3 things this week from around 25 listings. She has also coincidently purchased 3 things from other sellers on the site this week ( that I know of....  ) . She averages between $60 and $100 per week in sales which is handy money for a school kid. Best of all, its her money and if she is buying her own clothes there it saves me having to fork out for new stuff..........Smiley Tongue

Another thing that younger fashion buyers are looking for is brands. They are very brand concious and look for the classic sports brands as well as several of the older " elite expensive " clothing brands. Its not enough just to be 1980,s style, it has to have a brand name attached.

I would be stopping and considering who is likely to be your biggest clients and then ask yourself wether that demographic are regular ebay users.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

While I agree with you that the term " vintage " should not apply to clothes from the 1980,s it can be regarded as such by many buyers.

When I was young, anything older than me was vintage, and anything from the past that I experienced myself was retro. Smiley Very Happy

To the OP, I used to shape clothes to the mannequin when photographing clothing items, as larger sizes tend to drape over undersized mannequins in unattractive ways. You can use pegs just to take them in a bit and get them to look nicer on the form.

Also, check out Fotofuze, it's free to use and will give your images a bit of a pro makeover. 

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply