is ZipPay and AfterPay acceptable for eBay transactions?

Have no idea what they are, do they cost anything to the seller, and does the seller has to sign up for them?

Message 1 of 77
Latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Re: is ZipPay and AfterPay acceptable for eBay transactions?

sfarr40
Community Member
The Good Guys don't do afterpay at the moment.
Message 11 of 77
Latest reply

I am glad you are so financially secure. Unfortunately not all of us have that luxury. Which makes your comment selfish and ignorant.
Message 12 of 77
Latest reply

@triggobybubba, your reply is unnecessarily defensive - and unfair to Lyndal.

Lyndal prefaced her comment about Afterpay being a way to get goods on a layby system with "To me", making it clear she was simply expressing her personal view. She then explained further that she herself would not purchase goods in that way, that if she cannot purchase an item in full at the time of purchase, she would not buy the item.

There is nothing selfish and ignorant about her comment.

However, please note that nothing was said about the funds for expensive purchases being instantly available at any given moment. That is clearly not the point, since otherwise Lyndal might have said something like "I don't need layby or Afterpay because I'm rich, rich, rich, and a Maserati costs mere pocket change for me."

Rather, could you see this perhaps referring more to the mindset that seems to have crept into Australians with middle incomes or lower incomes, where many - all too many unfortunately - live beyond their income, have sufficient credit card to cause a problem for themselves, and buy rather a lot of things which strictly speaking aren't necessary? That is a fair statement and covers a general pattern of financial behaviour which is acknowledged as being true.

We live in a consumer society. Australians have become accustomed to credit card debt. There are households where expenditure outstrips income. The Australian household that does not have a big screen TV is rather rare, even when the household doesn't have a lot of money to splash around... but we have become convinced that we need large smart TVs; we have become convinced that we need smart phones and iPads and goodness knows what else.

The fact that enough families DO have credit card debts and DO live from salary day to salary day makes it obvious that the problem with us as a society isn't whether or not we're financially secure, but rather that we want an awful lot of things and we believe that those things are our right, a necessity in this day and age.

It isn't that "not all of us have that luxury". It's more that we should save up for items rather than have the "I want it NOW NOW NOW" attitude that empties the purse faster than a speeding bullet. When my parents wanted to buy a television, they saved up. When they wanted an electrolux, they saved up. They needed a car? They saved up. They bought when they had saved up enough money.

I have learned wonderful life lessons from my parents, and this is not the least of them. As a general rule, when I want to buy something that costs more than my funds on hand, I save up until I have the total and can pay. I honestly believe that this is the best way of budgeting for purchases, and that layby or any similar method of paying later is a financial straitjacket, and has the potential to lead to financial distress.

Message 13 of 77
Latest reply

@triggobybubba wrote:
I am glad you are so financially secure. Unfortunately not all of us have that luxury. Which makes your comment selfish and ignorant.

The ONLY way to become financially secure is to do exactly what Lyndal said, and I quote:  

"If I cannot pay the full amount immediately then I would not buy."  In other words, if you can't afford it, go without or wait.  Buying on any sort of credit when you can't afford something only causes stress, costs you extra in interest when you can't pay on time, and it means you often end up regretting buying it in the first place. 

Many people have enough sense to know that they're not good with money and refuse to buy on credit because they know it only gets them into trouble and they end up going without essential items because of the non-essential items they've bought.  In other words, they don't buy unless they can pay the full amount immediately.  

Those of us who are debt free have usually gone without a lot more than those who are in debt, yet those in debt usually look at us as though we're so much luckier than them.  All the people I know who are in debt live a far more luxurious lifestyle than me and are on higher incomes than me, and none of the things they spend their money on make them happy.

Message 14 of 77
Latest reply

I would highly value a seller that offered AfterPay. Your look on the AfterPay as a “credit” company is incorrect and a glass half empty situation. AfterPay is a very affordable way to pay for items example christmas, birthdays and unexpected financial matters. A percentage parents earn a low wage. AfterPay is a platform that offers financial release with actual non credit associated terms. In terms of matters saying ‘if you can’t afford it don’t buy it’, many people would be without a home.

Side note: The last paragraph wasn’t confined well with the rest of your statement and unequally judged wrongly on others people’s live styles.
Message 15 of 77
Latest reply

AfterPay isn’t a credit card company. Unile Zip Pay which are an online credit company.
Message 16 of 77
Latest reply

To be financially secure one must be being financially responsible.

Message 17 of 77
Latest reply

Wasn’t this question about whether EBay offers zip pay or Afterpay? Now suddenly turned into an argument about how to manage your finances lol typical social media bs

Message 18 of 77
Latest reply

You will find, with a more experience on the boards, that threads often digress once the question has been answered.

You will also find that making observations and voicing opinions that don't address the question, especially months after the post you are slagging off about, won't especially enamour you to the bulk of the members who use the boards.

For example, you could well have got opinion about the wisdom of paying for a store when you are new and have listing restrictions. But that would be off-topic.

Message 19 of 77
Latest reply

With your attitude I take it you will not be coming here for any help?

As an accountant you would have a full understanding of the ramifications of paying for a store to list three items which have yet to sell.

Message 20 of 77
Latest reply