my ebay store is finished, ebay is not.

I know this type of topic has been done to the death, but still.

It was back in 2014 when I first started my business on ebay, selling gifts, fashion items, wedding accessories...etc; it was an exciting experience and I learned a lot.

2015 was my best year, over $600k business turnover (which means I paid almost 60K to ebay that year); I was busy, but happy, and really started to love ebay.

2016, things started to go downhill siginificantly, with new policies after new policies, I still pushed on; just work harder, things will get better I believed.

Now, 2017, my turnover on ebay for the last financial year was merely $100k, and my income isn't even enough to pay the bills anymore.

Time to quit.

How did everything go downhill so quickly you ask?

Ebay just doesn't give a S**T about us small or even medium sellers anymore.

They started to favour big big sellers, big brands that people already known of; as for us, we helped building ebay up, and now we are trash to them.

Most if not all traffic is now being guided to those big stores, or those extremely cheap but rubbish items from overseas.

This baffles me a lot, we pay a lot commissions to ebay, so do those big stores (I think), what makes ebay like them more than us?

Our item is more expensive than those from overseas, which means we need to pay more commission out of each sale, what makes ebay like them more than us?

If only big stores remain on ebay, would buyer still care about ebay then?

Obviously, if I want something from Good Guys, I go to Good Guys, why ebay? WHY?

Sale event you say? Discount voucher? As far as I know many of those sales events are straight lies, the price you get after you applied discount voucher is actually the same or even more than regular retail prices you get from elsewhere.

Yet still, every time ebay gives out vouchers for "selected" big sellers, my sale is dead.

Some other times my sale is just dead, with no clear reason whatsoever.

Yet I still have to pay extra for listing promotion, such shamless pratice and pathetic excuse for a rip off.

Also I have to suffer extra lose due to unfair requests opened by dishonest buyers aka scammers.

I tried hard to keep my feedback in good standing, and my seller status Top Rated, none seems to help even a bit.

Today I have decided not to list new items anymore, just clear the remaining of stock, and that's it.

I loved you ebay, you were so wonderful and made my dream come true.

Sadly it didn't last... we had a good run, but now, you have turned into a piece of S**T.

Farewell.

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

We started trading in 2011 and like you our best year was 2015.

Since then has been on a steady decline, but possibly not to the same scale you are down.

For now we are persevering as its still turning a small profit, but nowhere near where we would like it to be.

We will see how the Xmas rush period serves us and then decide if in the new year we close down too.

Message 2 of 42
Latest reply

Same.

Everything was wonderful until Xmas 2015... the Xmas rush in Nov and Dec never happened for me and has been terrible ever since.

I think AP then significantly raised the prices of international postage in May 2016 and that all but totally killed off my business.

Message 3 of 42
Latest reply

Xmas 2015 I got the boot from eBay lol. What the hell is it with 2015? And I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. For you to go down hill like that just sux.
Message 4 of 42
Latest reply

Hi.

This is my first post but felt I wanted to reply to show my understanding and regret.

I have been a member and buyer since 2000. I have seen a lot of changes on ebay. I am so sorry to hear of another Australian Seller leaving. As a buyer my main wish was to buy items for myself and my home as if I was going to a garage sale or market but also have the benefit of shopping from the comfort of my home.

Sadly Ebay has also been tatrnished for me as a buyer as well with their constant search changes and regulation changes.They are coming across as extremely petty and have made things I normally search for extremely difficult to find and I do not spend the time searching I would have done a year ago. It is just too hard for the amount of items I find.

I will not be buying from the Good Guys, Myers or any well known store selling on ebay as it is not what I come to Ebay for. However i will still support the smaller seller. There is a number of sellers out there who will know me as a buyer. I have always tried to treat those sellers courteously as I would hope they would be certeous to me.

I am waiting to see what happens when Amazon arrives with ebay sellers. However it will always be the way ebay was in the past and is the way I would  like Ebay to return to that I will remember.. For every smaller seller that leaves Ebay that is one reason less for me to spend time looking on ebay for that special item.

I supported the sellers over the PayPal debacle and refused at the time to use any payment but direct deposit. I still Support Australian Sellers who have tried to make a living on Enay. I just wanted to send you all a message that you are appreciated by the buyers even though ebay does not show it at all.

Wishing you all the best.

Gill

Message 5 of 42
Latest reply

I buy from the Good Guys and Bing Lee through ebay when ebay has the 20% discount sales.

It is great to get a DVD player at their already good prices when ebay is paying 20% of that amount.

Message 6 of 42
Latest reply

I seemed to hit a peak in terms of acceleration in 2015 as well, I managed to keep things relatively steady somehow, but am definitely noticing some downward trends lately. Perhaps ironically (or perhaps by design), the latest round of policy updates has inspired me to start deliberately trading off eBay (not be eBay's definition, I mean they've reignited my desire to set up my own website. I have to acknowledge I've said this quite regularly for a couple of years now, so I won't take offence if anyone rolls their eyes, and I know the proof is in the pudding Smiley Very Happy ).

The questions I ask myself, though, are what advanatages do eBay's strategies, marketing efforts and policies, bring them? They are not trend setters or innovators anymore, driving market trends; they're trend followers and half-a**ed copycats, who are trying to catch market trends - so is what they're doing an attempt at finding where the money is, or are they following the money?

By which I mean, they've had a good couple of years with a high number of bigger retailers on site, so they would have enough data with regards to what's of most benefit to them. Do buyers, and I mean a majority percentage overall, rather than a sampling of those who prefer the eBay of old, prefer the new direction?

Or, is it something else? The policies they introduce never seem to affect the worst offenders, where if they were actually enforced there might be some improvement to the site, and as a result your average seller is left being treated like a petty annoyance at best, and a wanton criminal at worst - despite evidence to the contrary, in many cases. 

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at eBay HQ, just to try and get some insight into what they're trying to do. I can understand a decent portion of their motivations, and I recognise they're slowly (and very painfully) switching from a site of multiple listings for the same product, to a site of product listings with multiple sellers, and that there are going to be some products or categories they neglect to cater for, but some stuff just leaves me questioning whether anyone at the top genuinely knows what they're doing, or if they're just playing some perverse game of Pin the Tail on The Donkey, replete with blindfold, then jeering at the sellers when they miss the mark... Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 42
Latest reply

I really just don't get it,what is eBay after?

Ebay's a platform for sellers and buyers,eBay makes an enormous amount of money regardless so it baffles me as to why they are heading in the direction that they are and taking no prisoners along the way.

Why have eBay made it about themselves now?

Ebay provides the platform and we use it either as a buyer or as a seller so it should just be that,but no they are now running our lives.

Too many silly policies why not just keep it simple?

Because it's all about how much more money can eBay make instead of fixing all the dam problems.

It isn't rocket science,stop all the scammers and no gooders and let the decent folk go on with their lively hood instead of making it harder for the sellers just to protect the scammers.

If it ain't broke then don't try and fix it.

But eBay has invented so many stupid policies that aren't working out and they have no way of fixing those problems that are affecting good people.

Message 8 of 42
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I buy from the Good Guys and Bing Lee through ebay when ebay has the 20% discount sales.

It is great to get a DVD player at their already good prices when ebay is paying 20% of that amount.

I've bought from Officeworks when there have been eBay discounts however....if there are no specials and I can only find what I need in a big store I use eBay as a search engine for these stores then sometimes buy from them on their own websites depending on how their delivery service works compared to what they use on eBay.

But compared to my usual spending, these stores don't figure much overall to what usually like to buy - stuff the big stores don't sell and never will.

Message 9 of 42
Latest reply

My sister & I have been on ebay since about 2000 & for a few years, used to sell (between about 2003-2006).

It was a different world back then where the seller was king and could make decisions about what to do if a customer wasn't happy but it was also a site where if a seller just took off with your money there was nothing you could do. Most people were honest though. But not all.

It was a site mainly of mum & dad sellers and buyers, pretty much all transactions were between Australians on this site. International was shown but most people were too nervous to use it, it was the days before paypal.

Fast forward to now. Realistically, ebay had to change. It had to tighten up to make it a more secure site for buyers.

With every large store  & most smaller stores now having online buying available, consumers have more choices.

If you watch the ebay ads, you can see the profile they are trying to create. They want mainly new stock, sent via at least semi professional sellers who are on board about the system-who send with ebay labels, tape, tracking etc

I loved the garage sale atmosphere of the early days too but the little home sellers are no longer the norm & I think ebay is trying to steer them out to some extent-onto other places such as gumtree.

They would probably still like to have antique or quality vintage on sale too, but through dealers or professional traders.

I don't think anything is going to change any time soon, the amateur feel of the old ebay is probably gone forever. If sales have fallen off to one sixth of the former total, I don't think it is consumers who have changed things so drastically in such a short time. It's ebay-the items aren't showing as well or as high up the lists. Ebay is basically sending a message saying you can sell here but you're not one of our preferred seller types. It's a bit surprising as $600k turnover sounds massive to me, I would have thought ebay would give you some preference but obviously not.

Message 10 of 42
Latest reply