offensive

cfmj*59
Community Member

good morning afternoon depending on where you are . 

I attempted to add a very old golliwog to sell today and was told that I could not sell it as it was offensive , I can however 

I can buy this 

cfmj59_0-1636406970656.png

i find this offensive why can this be advertised 

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: offensive

So you find sex toys offensive but you search for them any way, and show it to other members on a public forum

Makes sense

Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

Possibly because they are listed in the correct category... idk

I agree with sandy... must have taken some searching to find them.

Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

You are right, there are more offensive listings than golliwogs (I often see them at doll fairs and some are even cute), but there is no need to post a screenshot of other more offensive listings here...

Message 4 of 50
Latest reply

Sex is completely different to racism. I think most people don't care what you do in the bedroom, but do understand that a golliwog is a historically unflattering caricature stereotype.

No idea why you're linking the two. Sex toys are allowed. Racism, nazism etc are not.

Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

LOL - what an interesting comparison. 

Message 6 of 50
Latest reply

So if you find it offensive,  why did you search for it?  Sounds like you have a deeper issue.

Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

OOOOOh goody.      Thank you.

Now I know what to tell my daughter to get me for Christmas.

Spoiler
Been looking for a while for a vintage Golly         imastawka_0-1636446002402.gif

Message 8 of 50
Latest reply

list as black rag doll and it will pass (don't give a hoot about the other listing)

Message 9 of 50
Latest reply

@cfmj*59 wrote:

good morning afternoon depending on where you are . 

I attempted to add a very old golliwog to sell today and was told that I could not sell it as it was offensive , I can however 

I can buy this 

[insert image here.... wait, that may be a poor choice of words ๐Ÿ˜ณ]

i find this offensive why can this be advertised 

Is it because it's "white"?   ๐Ÿคฃ 

Seriously... eBay is, at the end of the day, a US company, and their policies on these kinds of things will affect all sites regardless of how an item might be regarded outside of the US  (otherwise people could go to any site, list the item and make them appear on other sites).

The golly does not have a racism-free history, especially in the US (it's in the Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia for a reason). 

Toys like that.....don't dehumanise anyone through caricature, which is very much a part of the history of the golly, whether it's viewed that way by an individual or not.

Make an argument for those kinds of toys doing so (body shaming? unrealistic, err..."beauty" standards? feelings of inadequacy perhaps?) and maybe they might end up similarly out of favour one day. (Somehow I doubt it ๐Ÿ˜† ). 

Message 10 of 50
Latest reply