payment options

jaguar_88
Community Member

why is it that ebay can hold a person to ramsom with the way they can force you to accept paypal as an "option" for payment . i have had a listing removed because i said in my item description that i didn't accept paypal , and item was a local pick up only , payment on pick up . I was then "prompted " to use another method of electronic payment method , this i did with a bank acc . this was not enough for them and forced me into putting Paypal as a method . Paypal payments are then held by them for up tp 21 days , of which i assume the money held is gathering interest in there accounts , while charging me a fee for the privelege . Paypal and Ebay are a money grabbing bunch of parasites that don't give a toss about the people that are making them the money . I will be cancelling my ebay account .

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

payment options

Most online sites require a safe payment method for the buyer. (eBay are forced by local laws, don't blame the messenger)

Either merchant facilities, credit card etc or PayPal.

With pick up items I put "cash on pick up preferred".

That is allowed but you still need to offer PayPal in the listing. (I believe this is an Australian Consumer Law, NOT eBay forcing it)

I have always had buyers pay cash on pick up and the few I had years ago, I refunded their PayPal payment as they thought they had to pay PayPal.

Customers were happy when I explained it's safer for the buyer to see the item before they pay.

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

payment options

When you signed up to sell on eBay you would have been told that you have to accept at least one "safe payment method" which will be either Paypal or a merchant banking facility (as in EFTPOS), bank deposit is not a safe payment method.

You would also have been made aware that as a new seller your funds would be put on hold for 21 days until you could show either by tracking or feedback that the buyer was happy with the transaction.

Edit.  G'day Kopes, hope your Easter is going splendidly.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

payment options

Exactly what I was going to say

Lucky this time, it was not something more serious the OP agreed to when signing up without reading 

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

payment options

Hahahahaha, looks like your analog keyboard is working as it should bear.                 original.gif

You have a splendid Easter as well.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

payment options

@kopenhagen5wrote:

Most online sites require a safe payment method for the buyer. (eBay are forced by local laws, don't blame the messenger)

Either merchant facilities, credit card etc or PayPal.

With pick up items I put "cash on pick up preferred".

That is allowed but you still need to offer PayPal in the listing. (I believe this is an Australian Consumer Law, NOT eBay forcing it)

I have always had buyers pay cash on pick up and the few I had years ago, I refunded their PayPal payment as they thought they had to pay PayPal.

Customers were happy when I explained it's safer for the buyer to see the item before they pay.

Kopenhagen, I suspect quite a few people have the same notion - that it's required by Consumer Law.

However, it isn't... It's an eBay requirement. While PayPal is a convenient payment method for many purposes, primarily its usefulness shines as a method for paying for online goods when the buyer and seller are not conveniently close to each other, when the items are being sent, etc.

I have long held the view that PayPal is a ridiculous payment method for pickup-only items. It's eBay's rule which requires PayPal even on such items, and I do understand why (I think). As far as I understand it, the idea is to avoid presenting a possible loophole for sellers offering items for sale as pickup-only in order to avoid the requirement for eBay sellers to offer either PayPal or credit card payment (if the seller has credit card payment facility), with buyers then contacting the sellers to say "Will you post this?" and the sellers responding with "Yes, just deposit $xx.xx into my bank account" or "Yes, just wire the money via Western Union".

I would always pay cash on pickup, but use either PayPal or credit card payment for items being sent to me by sellers whom I don't know. I am perfectly happy to use bank transfer when making payments to persons / institutions whom I know, or to sellers whose integrity I respect and with whom I have an established relationship. But in most cases, credit card is just so much more convenient... I have to pay a Dutch seller by making a bank transfer, and truly wish that they had a credit card facility. International bank transfers are a pain. Ah well, XE.com to the rescue to minimise the total...

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply