selling......accurate description - Paypal says I must refund postage also..

Sold a pair of shoes as size 13 - buyer says they don't fit and must be another country size......Description totally accurate that they were size 13 and they still are size 13 - pictures show this as well.

Paypal ruling that if buyer returns item I must refund money and postage.

Where else can you ever return an item bought online and expect to get your postage refunded as well..??????

Any ideas on what I can do????

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: selling......accurate description - Paypal says I must refund postage also..

It sounds like the case has already been escalated and paypal have ruled so it may be too late... however Paypal are not supposed to rule accept "doesn't fit" as a Not as Described case.  They are more strict and even-handed on this than ebay.  So if the shoes are labelled as size 13, photos show size 13 then that should qualify for "As Described'.  

Try calling paypal tomorrow if you haven't already tried to argue your case.

As for paying for the postage, two things - one is that paypal don't deal in partial refunds so that is why it is the full amount or nothing.  Secondly just be grateful it's not ebay because you would have had to pay for the returm postage as well.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Re: selling......accurate description - Paypal says I must refund postage also..

Where else?

pretty much everywhere now...major retailers with their online stores often include free returns, for change of mind, too. As unlike their bricks and mortar stores, one cannot try on before purchase.

So not to sound negative, just answering your (rhetorical) question. Buyers these days expect more as they can get more. It becomes the new normal.

With shoe sizes, the number is not everything, the sizing differs for Aus, U.K., U.S., which all use the same style numbering. Different shoes of the correct size can differ due to being a more pointed style or a broader one, too...so the buyer might have shoes of exactly that numbered size/country that fit but the next pair might not.

That can be why, the return, even if the size is correct...that's the issue with buying shoes online. I have bought quite a few and some haven't worked out. I have never returned any, I see that as my risk (if the seller has an accurate description, it's not their fault at all).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Did you give the insole measurement? I sell shoes too and ALWAYS give the insole measurements. That way the prospective buyer cannot say that the measurement was not right. Can't go by the size mentioned  on the shoe -sizes usually differ. I hope your problem is resolved soon. 

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

were the shoes NEW or USED? not that it matters with ebays return policy. ebay has its rules slanted towards buyers so buyers can hit the BUY button without doing any homework on what they are buying knowing if they are not happy they can get a full refund including return postage.

all sellers must be aware of the return policy by now its been around quite a while.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

were the shoes NEW or USED? not that it matters with ebays return policy. ebay has its rules slanted towards buyers so buyers can hit the BUY button without doing any homework on what they are buying knowing if they are not happy they can get a full refund including return postage.

all sellers must be aware of the return policy by now its been around quite a while.

Sounds as if this is a Paypal dispute though.  They often tend to find in the buyer's favour when they shouldn't so do ring them up. Point out that the size on the shoes is correct and they are not significantly not as described just because they don't fit. If they have already told the buyer they have won and to return the shoes then they cannot reverse the decision however they can give you a discretionary payment so you get your money back (and the shoes incidentaly)

Technically |Paypal own the shoes but they will not want them back.

If they agree to this then make sure you note the time of the call and ask for their employee number. I got them to agree to a payment once and when it didn't appear when promised I called them again and they denied having said they would pay up however after asking to speak to a supervisor and giving her the details of the call the money was in my Paypal account within a couple of hours.

If they don't agree ask to speak to a supervisor and if still no luckj just tell them that unless the money is back in your account within 48 hours you will be putting in a complaint to the Ombudsman.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply