the roll out of ebay managed payments

i'm sure a lot or most of you probably received the managed payments email this morning. in case you didn't, or missed here - ebay is rolling out managed payments later in the year with pre-registration opening shortly.

more info is located at https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/managed-payments

Message 1 of 699
Latest reply
698 REPLIES 698

Re: the roll out of ebay managed payments

Vic proof of age isn't accepted, at least for me. You need to contact them and let them know, however you supposed to still go through with the process?
Message 531 of 699
Latest reply

Sorry? What do you mean? Contact them how, precisely?

And how did you try inputting it, was it the number on the right of the card?

Message 532 of 699
Latest reply

You can try to contact them by going to Help at the top of the page and choosing Live Chat, Good Luck with it all

Message 533 of 699
Latest reply

Well, I tried the live chat, here's the result:

brian_j_damage
15:48 PM
I need to update my details for Managed Payments, but I do not have a drivers license or passport. What other forms of government issued ID are acceptable?

Yi
15:48 PM
Hello, thank you for contacting eBay Managed Payments. My name is Yi and I am happy to help you today. For the safety and security of your account please do not provide any personal/sensitive information.

Yi
15:49 PM
I can see your questino

Yi
15:49 PM
question

Yi
15:50 PM
We only accept driver license and passport

brian_j_damage
That's not what the help file says.

brian_j_damage
"We accept the following forms of identification: Current driver's licence Passport Other government-issued ID"

Yi
I can put your account in deferral list, and you can wait for our further notice, we may accept proof of age card later

brian_j_damage
15:51 PM
Please do.

brian_j_damage
15:52 PM
Has it been done?

Yi
15:53 PM
doing it now, please wait me a moment

brian_j_damage
15:53 PM
Ok.

Yi
15:54 PM
Done, now you can use PayPal as normal till our further notice.

Yi
all good, no worries

brian_j_damage
Thank you, Yi.

brian_j_damage
15:55 PM
Will there be a message in my messages about this, or is it entirely an internal thing?

Yi
15:56 PM
It is an internal thing, we will send you message when we accept proof of age card or any other card.

brian_j_damage
15:57 PM
Thank you.

So that's interesting. Sounds like they're trying to go ahead with this without all the pieces in place first. I didn't even mention Proof of Age cards, but the fellow brought them up them right off the bat, so either they've had a lot of questions about them or it's currently known to be a potential upcoming change on the inside. Fingers crossed ebay Australia corrects this little oversight.

(Thank you for the good luck wishes, katistrophik)
Message 534 of 699
Latest reply

Brian, thats what they did to us, but this is what happened with another rep and I quote

"There is a variance between the registraton and activaton process for Managed Payments. You are still free to register for Manged Payments however, as youve been placed on deferred list your account will be deferred from going active. So even if you go through the registration proces through the notification we've sent you, your account will not be made 'active' on Managed Payments until the option to accept the current ID you have available is accepted in the Managed Payments system. I would recommend you still register for Managed Payments through the link we've sent you to ensure no restrictions are placed on your account. Should your account begin to progress into the active stage of Managed Payments it will be deferred until the Photo ID card you have is accepted through the Managed Payments system."

"You can enter the Phot ID card detail, list this under Drivers License. Once you go through this procss you account will be able to be registered, but will be prevented from going 'Active' on Manged Payments. Once this form of ID is accepted by Managed, we will then be able to be utiliz this ID to verify your acount."

To us we didn't do this, because this is a dumb call by eBay.Any financial institution would fail this. Including PayPal fail this verification. You are misleading the Identification process.

Message 535 of 699
Latest reply

So what am I supposed to do then, get my Proof of Age card, start the registration, put in the number and then it's marked internally as "deferred", then just wait until they've got it all set up?

Why didn't they make sure their system was working with all the forms of government ID before they pushed ahead with this?

Message 536 of 699
Latest reply

whatever what they meant saying to me i don't know.

My suggestion would be just base it off what was said to you. Don't register because you could be rejected based on misleading the Identification process.

And to answer you last question I don't know its eBay. For example permanent residents who sell on eBay but aren't a citizen literally cannot register, because its likely the have overseas documentation and Proof Of Age card. But legally they are allowed to work here...
Message 537 of 699
Latest reply

Just a quick question -

My daughter sells stuff from time to tme on eBay, NOT a seller in any big way at all, maybe  a once a month sort, even less.

Is all this MP stuff going to make that unavailable to those types of sellers? Once upon a time it was 'We'll put it on eBay' but this is sounding like those days are gone

Message 538 of 699
Latest reply

@katistrophik wrote:

Just a quick question -

My daughter sells stuff from time to tme on eBay, NOT a seller in any big way at all, maybe  a once a month sort, even less.

Is all this MP stuff going to make that unavailable to those types of sellers? Once upon a time it was 'We'll put it on eBay' but this is sounding like those days are gone

Well I'm a private seller and I sell items that are on that restricted list through MP and it looks like if I don't become a business I won't be allowed to sell anymore seriously this is becoming a joke now and it's probably the reason I haven't heard boo from ebay yet since I registered for MP 

Message 539 of 699
Latest reply

@brian_j_damage wrote:

So that's interesting. Sounds like they're trying to go ahead with this without all the pieces in place first. I didn't even mention Proof of Age cards, but the fellow brought them up them right off the bat, so either they've had a lot of questions about them or it's currently known to be a potential upcoming change on the inside. Fingers crossed ebay Australia corrects this little oversight.

POA cards vary from state to state - some can be verified online and some can't, unfortunately (this is why it counts as 100pts of ID in person when doing something like opening a bank account, but can't be used when opening a new bank account online).

I wasn't sure about VIC's, but a POA card is the only ID I have and it was accepted last year - mine is SA-issued, and the ref number copies the format of SA driver's license numbers, so it was accepted without issue; I know some sellers in NSW used theirs to register. (However I should note that another member mentioned they did have issues with their SA-issued POA card, after their ID had been accepted and they were already trasitioned on to managed payments; not sure how that was resolved, but it seems to be a bit hit and miss even if the system will initially accept it). 

Message 540 of 699
Latest reply