the roll out of ebay managed payments

i'm sure a lot or most of you probably received the managed payments email this morning. in case you didn't, or missed here - ebay is rolling out managed payments later in the year with pre-registration opening shortly.

more info is located at https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/managed-payments

Message 1 of 699
Latest reply
698 REPLIES 698

Re: the roll out of ebay managed payments

I really don't know sorry I would just be guessing.
Message 541 of 699
Latest reply

13.4% on what the buyer pays?

I cut out of it when it asked for my drivers' licence - been on here 20 years without it!

ebay doesn't need that info but I suspect it's to do with the ever increasing length of the ATO's tentacles...

Message 542 of 699
Latest reply

What happens if the customer uses Paypal like they've been conditioned to do for years. 13.4% Plus the Paypal fees?
Cash on pick up i could avoid the Paypal fees and only pay Ebay 10.9%. Now the fees for cash on pick up will be 13.4%. That's a massive 23% increase on what it used to be. A payment processing premium with no payment processing needed.
They'e dressing this up as cheaper...whoopee 0.1% cheaper from what i can see a miniscule saving in one area and massive increases in general. Try cancelling your buyers Paypal payment when suddenly your fee has jumped to 16-17% with an ebay Paypal double whammy. Which will happen a lot If i'm understanding it correctly. As a small farm seller with a lot of heavy pick ups i will be unable to continue on Ebay OR ad a $50 pick up fee or something. Customers will love that.

Message 543 of 699
Latest reply

@soup-a-man wrote:

What happens if the customer uses Paypal like they've been conditioned to do for years. 13.4% Plus the Paypal fees?
Cash on pick up i could avoid the Paypal fees and only pay Ebay 10.9%. Now the fees for cash on pick up will be 13.4%. That's a massive 23% increase on what it used to be. A payment processing premium with no payment processing needed.
They'e dressing this up as cheaper...whoopee 0.1% cheaper from what i can see a miniscule saving in one area and massive increases in general. Try cancelling your buyers Paypal payment when suddenly your fee has jumped to 16-17% with an ebay Paypal double whammy. Which will happen a lot If i'm understanding it correctly. As a small farm seller with a lot of heavy pick ups i will be unable to continue on Ebay OR ad a $50 pick up fee or something. Customers will love that.

You are not understanding it correctly. There are no Paypal fees, and you can't cancel or refund a Paypal payment as you don't get it. eBay/Adyen do, and you will have no idea as to how they paid.. Which is why the fees have gone up 2.5%.

Yes, for cash on pickup you get no benefit from the higher fees, but that's the way it's going to be.

Message 544 of 699
Latest reply

Also you know what dealing with Ebay agents can be like. They're still billing me $8.65 for a postage label i never used. There'll be no arguing now when any disputed fee is plucked out of your next sale. Fees have increased from 10.9 to 13.4 that's the bottom line. You'd be very lucky to scrimp any saving out of it. And they've fabricated a no arguments we rule with a steel rod situation.
If they wanted to put the last nail in their own coffin and hand over everything to FB Marketplace they couldn't have done it better.
Message 545 of 699
Latest reply

So Paypal are going to stop charging fees if the buyer chooses Paypal as their method? Is that correct?
Message 546 of 699
Latest reply

Ok, if the Paypal fee is not additional i understand what you're saying.
so just add a $50 pick up fee to compensate for the massive hike or sell those items on Gumtree and Marketplace. Got it.
Message 547 of 699
Latest reply

If the sale is cancelled for any reason, you lose the 30 cents regardless.
massive extra fees to sell international.
nice improvement. So many hidden claw backs that negate any so called savings. Really just telling mum and dad sellers to F off and use marketplace we don't want you. leave Ebay to the Conglomerates please.
Message 548 of 699
Latest reply

@whitestarheart wrote:

13.4% on what the buyer pays?

I cut out of it when it asked for my drivers' licence - been on here 20 years without it!

ebay doesn't need that info but I suspect it's to do with the ever increasing length of the ATO's tentacles...

It is no different than supplying points of identification to paypal, [or any finacial institution for that matter]. Adyen will need this info to protect your account just the same as PP did.

As  to the ATO, if your income on eBay exceeds a certain amount you are legally required to declare it. I think 10K, but not certain on that

Message 549 of 699
Latest reply

@soup-a-man wrote:
If the sale is cancelled for any reason, you lose the 30 cents regardless.
massive extra fees to sell international.
nice improvement. So many hidden claw backs that negate any so called savings. Really just telling mum and dad sellers to F off and use marketplace we don't want you. leave Ebay to the Conglomerates please.

I guess so, but the difference being eBay is HUGE, Marketplace and Gumtree not so much. So I would look at it as the extra % is paying for much greater exposure.

Sort of like you set up a BM store in a busy market place/sopping centre, your rent will reflect that, set it up in your backyard, where is your foot traffic?

Just a thought.

Message 550 of 699
Latest reply