unusual size mailing boxes

Hi,I need some advice regarding unusal sized mailing boxes.

I have decided I would like to try selling large brimmed womens hats this summer.

But want to be able to post them flat as they are the quality you wouldnt want to receive squashed,

I have been looking everywhere to see if anyone sells the type of boxes I need in the specific measurements.

I really dont want to buy from chine sight unseen as the quality from china can be quite awful

from what I have noticed about other items I have bought from there.

Any way the boxex need to be around 43 X 12 X 43 cm

Neither places like OfficeWorks or Auspost supply this sized box.

Custom made ones are quite expensive.

So just wondering where I could buy a "speciality" size mailing box from?

I did see on youtube how to make a box

but I dont know where to get sheets of carboard that size.

If anyone can help with my dilemma please do as I would love to sell these hats this spring /summer,

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Cake boxes ?

image host
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Hat Boxes Online 19 Bellrick St, Acacia Ridge QLD 4110

Spotlight have hat boxes too

Have you tried googling?  there seem to be plenty of options

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Call around all the carboard box manufacturers in your area as they usually have some odd stock available at good prices. Also if the hat plus box is under 1kg the box size is not cubed.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Just be aware, that for that size box, Australia Post will charge as approx 6kg, irrespective of actual weight.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Parcels under 1kg are not cubed. Although once I was told they could by a new staff member.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

The Reject Shop and similar sell all sized boxes in square and round 

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

@eol-products wrote:

Parcels under 1kg are not cubed. Although once I was told they could by a new staff member.

Parcels up to 1kg can be charged by cubic volume, if considered large in size.  Dont know if they have an actual definition as to what constitutes large.  Or who makes the determination.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Most retailers throw out dozens of larger boxes every week. They are usually happy to give them away if you ask, or at least tell you where their recycling bin is. It's easy to cut down larger boxes to a smaller size. You just make the slits for the flaps longer and fold them further down.

The Spring Racing carnival is about to start too. I would want to get a decent number of listings up before the end of the weekend if I were you.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

The Australia Post computer system does not charge extra for size on 1kg or less. The staff member who charged me was new but on the next parcel they no longer charged extra. At the time they just mentioned if it was over 1kg cubed they could charge. I think the parcel came in at 2-3kg cubed. I have not had it mentioned again and its been atleast 15 years ago.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply