who is responsable when item becomes broken in post

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

The seller is the one with a contract with the carrier.

So if the packing is deemed inadequate by the carrier's specifications, it is the seller's fault.

If deemed adequate, the seller has a claim with the carrier to pursue.

The buyer will often assist by making sure the carrier receives the item with all the packaging should the seller put in a claim.

Contact the seller to see what their course of action would like to be.

They may refund without you providing photos.

image host
Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

Kopes, maybe the OP is the seller?

Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

yes OP is the seller I was the buyer , I purchased 2 items from him and one of them arrived totally shattered, I have provided photos to the OP

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

(Slaps forehead) Thanks stawks.

OP advice is if you feel it necessary, ask the buyer to send some photo's of the damage and instruct them not to throw out the item or the packaging in case the carrier wants to pick it up if you put in a claim.

I had a damaged item arrive and AP picked it up with all the packaging as the seller had put in a claim.

Edit - Seeing as you are the seller you will need to find out from the buyer if they want to keep the good item (in case it was a pair) and work out a refund.

image host
Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

Well, that's turned out handy - seller and buyer on the same thread.

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

I was about to post myself when I saw this thread and I knew it was from the seller regarding the items that I had just been in touch with him about

Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

as soon as I opened the parcel and saw the broken item I took some photos immediately and contacted the seller (OP), it was 2 ceramic egg cups and each was wrapped in tissue paper then a piece of bubble wrap placed around them in an Aus Post satchel which in my opinion is not a safe way to send fragile items, he did reply ....

"hi looks pretty bad i think it is broken . when it left here it was in perfect condition and wa paper and bubble wrapped ii think there is an australia post problem the question is am i liable"

as I said I was just about to post in the forum myself when I saw this post and realised it was about these items, I buy fragile items quite often on ebay and this is only the second time I've received a broken item, the first time it happended I did the same thing, took photos and contacted the seller (in that instance it was a different seller) who had no hesitation in refunding me, in fact he didn't even want the damaged one returned.

Only one of the items this time was broken, I've asked the seller (OP) if he would like them returned but I've had no reply apart from his first one.

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

what...no cardboard or stiffener of any sort?
Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

my advice would be - if its the two car ceramic egg cups on your username (OP) - then i'd just refund the half cost ($7.50) and be done with it - otherwise it looks like you'll have a fight on your hands and it seems as though, from what the buyer has stated the item wasn't properly packaged. if it's escalated to a claim, chances are you'll lose out. 

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply