Advice need Please; Phantom Comics

Hi Everyone...

My friend has inherited her late husband's Phantom Comic collection. The collection comprises approx 2500 issues from issue 1. Issue 3 is an original and there are lots of special editions. There are very few with any damage. A couple of paper tears and 1 or 2 with writing on a couple of pages.

She is wondering what the best way would be to sell them on Ebay? Should she try and sell them as a collection or in small blocks of issues or individually?

What sort of information should she list as far as issue no.s or dates and condition.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Advice need Please; Phantom Comics

*needed*

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

yarmak
Community Member

The first ones ( up to number 16 now?) were reprinted and part of the annual specials that come out every year. Are you sure these early ones are original?

What numbers do the bulk of these start at?

Dave

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Hi Dave,

I know No. 3 is definitely an original. So far my friend has logged the first 1500 or so. I think they go from Issue 1 to 400 and something then it jumps to Issue 700+ etc. Once she has finished detailing them i will have the list to work with.

Cheers for your reply..

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

yarmak
Community Member

If you are selling these 1-400 I would list individually.700 - 1300 series list individually anything after that possibly in blocks

Dave

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Are they Frew or Falk comics.

If you scroll through the completed listings you can check how they have been going:

http://www.ebay.com.au/csc/i.html?_sop=3&_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=phantom+comics&rt=nc&LH_Auction=1

You can then also go into the listings to see how the more successful sellers list them.

If No 3 is an original Frew you might want to think about listing it and other low numbered ones through an B & M auction company,(although it would create a lot of interest on this site),;-)

Also make certain you you/they know all the seller rules and that they are sent with track able postage that cover you in case of disputes.

If uncertain about anything just ask on the sellers board or post another question here,

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

yarmak
Community Member

Tazz brings up a very good point.

Frew,Charlton or Gold Key ones?

The Frews are Aussie and anything before feb 66 will be in shillings and pence

Dave

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

thanks heaps for all the advice. 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Hi, I've just sold thousands of comics for a customer.  Most of her Phantoms were from the 600s up and I sold them in lots of 6 comics priced according to their numbers.  Selling in a lot of 6 also allows you to post them at the large letter rate of $3.00 for Aust and $14.20 for international, which can be more appealing than bulk lots in satchels.  I also combine shipping to satchels though.

For a guide here was the pricing I used:

600s-800s - approx $6 per comic in a lot of 6

900s - approx $4 per comic in a lot of 6

1000s upwards - approx $2-3 per comic in a lot of 6

If you have a look at my completed listings you will see some there.

I also offered "Best Offer" on all the listings as I wasn't 100% sure of the pricing, but some have sold at the price first asked, others have offers.  I've also accepted offers which may seem low, but they were for only one or two comics out of the lot and I adjusted the postage accordingly.

Anything VERY early I would list individually but make sure it is the original and not the reproduction print.  For the original early copies, provide as many photos as you can.  As a guide if you are going to sell them on a commission basis, I charge 20% commission and handle the listing, packaging and posting of the comics.  Anything up to 30% is quite reasonable.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply