Auction auto relisted, but a customer says they've won and it's in their cart

Hello, advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. I hope it's the right Board..  I'm the seller in this case -  an auction finished without bids and auto relisted. Now there is a bid on the new listing. Customer has contacted me because they've bid and won on the original auction and it is showing in their cart (twice?!).

I've looked and it is their bid on the new listing. It doesn't show as sold to me, unless I try using the eBay help process and it comes up as a sale I can query, so I believe the customers account of what happened. Obviously a glitch in the system somewhere. I was thinking I could cancel the auction and see if that fixes it on their end allowing them to pay and finalise the sale. If I cancel this listing with a bid (6 days to go) will I incur fees or negative effects as a seller?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Auction auto relisted, but a customer says they've won and it's in their cart

The buyer is full of it. Your completed items don't see that item as being sold. It's still an active listing. Cancel the bid and block the buyer. They are trying to scam you.

If you cancel the bid, then no, the buyer can't leave you negative feedback and you won't incur any fees because they item hasn't actually sold. 

Just make sure you block them! You can access your blocked bidder list here 

https://www.ebay.com.au/bmgt/buyerrequirements 

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

Re: Auction auto relisted, but a customer says they've won and it's in their cart

Thanks everyone - what a great community 🙂 I've learnt a lot from these comments and some side-googling. I've updated my buyer requirements,, blocked the buyer and cancelled the bid (based on their negative feedback and the high likelihood that they are a fraudulent bidder) using your supplied links. 

One thing that stands out though is what 'proper' avenues does a seller have to spot dodgy bidders? Seems there used to be a way through advanced search to filter 'items by bidders', but now I only see seller options. Sellers can also lodge unpaid item tickets, but this history doesn't seem accessible to the wider community. Is there a way, other than comments left in feedback? 

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

You can only set your requirements to weed out the NPBs, make sure you specify which countries are excluded to avoid shipping/posting difficulties, and send with tracking. As you’re running auctions, you could also keep a weather eye on bidders whose feedback to others is a great pool of blood (lots of red negatives), and simply cancel and block if you have a strong feeling of danger, but in the main, keep calm and stay professional.

Most of the buyers you are likely to encounter will be fine.

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

Don't leave comments in feedback, because all you are doing is boosting their positive feedback. They can get the comment removed and keep the green dot. Plus, it's a violation of ebay policy to leave a negative comment on a green dot. It's you that could get a kick up the butt, not the buyer. Nothing is achieved by leaving a negative comment. Sellers won't see any feedback until after a sale, which it's too late by then. 

Also on that link I gave is buyer requirements. Select to block buyers with 2 or more unpaid strikes (cancellations) in the last 12 months. That weeds out non paying pests. Also select to block buyers in a location you don't post to. Turn on to not allow blocked buyers to contact you (If you've had a transaction with them, they can still contact you for 60 days, but are then blocked). Turn on to apply to active and future listings.

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

Thanks *sons_n_daughters*, the first bit is something I have already tried to explain twice 

Totally pointless and the only thing it achieves is  encourages 'buyers' to do what they do all the more 

'ooh, I can scam all I want and get a positive green tick for it ' 

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

(I hadn’t checked OP’s feedback left for others. I’m posting from my phone and it’s not as easy to zip from one screen to another as on my computer - which is downstairs - and to which I am reluctant to hobble limpingly… although I’ll have to later today.)

OP, please do take note about not leaving any feedback for problem buyers! eBay disallowed negative feedback from sellers to buyers some years ago; as you’ve found, you can only leave a shiny green positive dot. You may have felt that the only avenue to vent your spleen against bad buyers is to give the green dot purely for the purpose of being able to leave a negative comment… but eBay specifically say you must not do this. It is a policy violation.

• The negative comment will be removed if eBay notices it or are informed by the buyer, leaving only that flattering green dot;
  • Your account may be penalised by eBay, with actions such as temporary suspension, listings having reduced visibility, removal of seller protection, and more — up to permanent suspension for, I suppose, repeated or serious infractions;
  • No other seller will know to whom you have given feedback. eBay buyer names are anonymised/masked in feedback. To others, the username will simply be something like 7***f (34). Log out and take a look at the feedback you have left and you’ll see what I mean. Hence… you are not warning other sellers about particular buyers in the slightest.
  • Just give bad buyers no feedback whatsoever. Block them instead.
  • Make sure you cancel sales with non-paying bidders after 4 full days with the reason “Buyer didn’t pay” (only available after 4 days) and the NPB will get an invisible strike. Two of those within a certain period will get them blocked from any seller with the appropriate blocks in place.
  • Don’t take the actions of buyers personally. Why allow bad buyers to impinge on you emotionally, professionally, or physically?

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

Thanks, I understand what you've said and take it on board. I was only seeking to understand what options there are for sellers who have bad experiences. Thankfully I've only ever had good experiences on ebay - never needed to leave bad feedback. I only referenced the feedback I'd read in this post - didn't mean to suggest I was about to do the same.

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

@gutterpunkz05 wrote:

Sounds like you have a dodgy buyer,   cancel their bid, and block.  Then just let the Auction proceed as normal.  If you do not cancel their bid and they subsequently win the Auction, you are obligated to complete the sale and will be subject to any claims, FB etc  from this dodgy buyer.

This is absolutely not true - a seller is under no obligation to send an item at all if they feel that the transaction is risky. Ebay cannot force a seller to sell. Experienced sellers cancel dodgy auction winners all the time. My items are BIN and I cancel and refunded any buyer I feel is dodgy. Ebay cannot penalise you, especially if you refund the transaction. 

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

I'm a bit late to the party, but one salient point seems to have been missed.

Putting an item in a cart is NOT buying it. Until payment has been made the item is NOT sold.

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

Yes you can fail/refuse to complete the transaction, and just wear the NEG  FB

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply