eBay Global Shipping marks items delivered before they are delivered

Anyone else is having the same problem?

In "my eBay" tracking incorrectly shows item as delivered to my PO Box and that I signed for it. Australia Post has no record of the parcel and informes that it would not accept anything directly from FedEx or other carriers. The package tracks through Pitney Bowes and FedEx but not Australia Post. 

It happened twice in a month with parcels from the US.The first time, I opened a case that eBay automatically closed it based on their incorrect tracking info. I immediately appealed and got a "courtesy" refund. In a week I actually got the item that was supposedly delivered a week before it arrived in a local Australia Parcel with no reference to the seller or any of the eBay tracking IDs.

The second time I made a query to FedEx, let the seller know that despite eBay, Pitney Bowes and FeDex assertions, I did not get the package. I also asked Australia Post to look into what was happening if they can. I have good relations with my posties and today got a call that I got a package with a FedEx reference (not given by eBay). Apparently someone in Matrville sticks an Australia Post eParcel sticker onto the FedEx package and  signs the FedEx delivery in my name. Once this happens eBay marks the package as delivered. However the package does NOT actually arrive for a few more days or like last time a week later. In this case I got the Item in 3 days after it was marked as delivered.

Anyone knows how to prevent these problems?

Message 1 of 46
Latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: eBay Global Shipping marks items delivered before they are delivered

No....not true. Apparently I've received a pacel...according to the global shippin tracking number - I haven't got it. I'm thinking 'WHERE IS IT!!!!...???

Message 21 of 46
Latest reply

Rather than drag up an 18 month old thread to have a go at somebody, try reading some of the myriad more current ones.

Where you will read that 'delivered' means handed from Fedex (the GSP carrier) to, probably, Australia Post, who will then deliver it to you.

Message 22 of 46
Latest reply

Hi again, its good to see that one of the linguists who educated me is still reading this 18-month (or 18 months w/o hyphen :)) old thread even when apparidown's post was not in reply to him but to lyndal1838. Are you being paid for doing so or just being bored? BTW, I got a notification from eBay and just could not resist :).

What apparidown mentions is also a common issue. Here it comes :), since we touched China Post ("CP") in my old thread: In my personal, possibly biased (just BSing :)) experience, mostly with bogus "CP" tracking numbers given to eBay to save tracking costs. Since eBay does not follow missing delivery receipts, some Chinese sellers seem to get away with the practice as long as their buyers get the item and the items are OK and even if it's not:).

THE SCHEME: An item with bogus tracking, which apparidown's could have been will be shown as still not received on eBay's system. If there is a problem with the item that is taken up with the seller, the seller just "accepts return" and gives the same or another bogus untraceable "CP" "postage label' to be used as the return label for the item. Again eBay doesn't give a "thing" about the validity or correctness of the tracking. When the seller complains that the returned item with the bogus tracking didn't arrive, eBay closes the case in its favour and implies that the buyer lies. The post by @dianerob1969 that I marked as answer in my original post is also the answer to this scenario :).

I was taken to a ride twice by Chinese sellers giving bogus "CP" tracking (return) labels, which I physically got but, which never got delivered according to eBay's tracking: exactly as apparidown wrote. Unfortunately, I acknowledged receipt of these not-as-described / faulty / with-missing-pieces items and, as usual, honesty didn't pay:

- First time it cost me 1/3-rd of what I paid for the faulty item to return it as I bought tracking on my side and the seller never refunded it despite eBay writing me that he should  have (of course, eBay didn't follow it up :)).

- The second time around I got smarter and got the sellers bogus label checked by Australia Post. I asked him if he still wanted to use it. He said yes but then he "never received it." I will get eBay on that, after all they kept reminding me that I should return the item that I did after the seller confirmed it wanted me to use its bogus return label.

I stopped complaining and did not open new threads on eBay's forums. Regrettably, these forums serve as "valves" to let off some steam if one get's really pi**ed off but don't seem to solve anything. Tha's why I don't even search "the myriad" of more recent ones. If one really wants to solve an eBay problem that eBay refuses to solve even on appeal properly one has to do it formally taking the matter to an appropriate Australian tribunal with jurisdiction. Naturally, sometimes it makes no economic sense to escalate the matter. I am reasonably sure that many buyers were eBay shows that their item was delivered (like my original post) will never get their item delivered (unlike my original post) but absorb the cost because it's not economical to escalate. Similarly many who returns items with bogus "CP" postal (tracking) label and never get a refund will acquiesce for the same reason.

Message 23 of 46
Latest reply

I am not sure if I have read your post correcty but are you saying that a Chinese seller sent you a return postage label from China Post?

If this is what happened then it is no wonder the seller (in China?) did not get it.

An China Post label is not valid in Australia and Australia Post would not have sent the item.

The seller should have sent you money to your paypal account to cover the return postage.

Why on earth would you think that AP would honour postage paid by another country's postage service?

Message 24 of 46
Latest reply

I will ask how, even after all this time, you consider your issues with fake tracking numbers from China Post have anything to do with the GSP. Which is a shipping programme facilitated by Pitney Bowes from the USA and the UK. And the topic of this old thread

This would tend to indicate, your speculations notwithstanding, that apparidown's issues have nothing to do with China Post and everything to do with the GSP. Said issues having been explained fully in the many more 'current' threads about this topic.

Ps. Hyphenation has nothing to do with linguistics.

Message 25 of 46
Latest reply

You're preaching to the converted :). In the first case I bought tracking on the Australian side because what you say seemed likely to me too. The second time around I actually checked with Australia post and asked the seller if he still wanted me to post the package as he instructed in writing through eBay messaging system and he said yes; - that is, despite that it was not tracking. So, who am I to argue with the seller and eBay? He said yes, I mailed as instructed by him through eBay :). Hope this clarifies. If my OC nature 🙂 forced me to take up this matter in a Oz tribunal I'd have all the proof I need.

Message 26 of 46
Latest reply

Apparidown's "issue" had everything to do with the reliability of tracking of eBay items (that eBay requires and uses to decide its disputed transactions/cases). He just pointed out that the opposite of what I described 18 months ago happens (in general, my speculations about China Post notwithstanding :)).

My original post 18 months ago implied all sorts of tracking problems not just the explicit one I mentioned. Quite correctly, apparidown's example belongs to  the unreliability-of-tracking issues (in the course eBay's decision making) that should be a grouped discussion but it isn't . It seems, apparidown felt that his "issue" belonged to my original thread by virtue of contextual logic (doubt that he wanted to "get back at someone"). I think he was correct. The fact that buyers and sellers could be and/or are being schemed through eBay's unchecked tracking requirement is still a matter of concern to me and it should be to eBay too (n.b., eBay automatically entered the bogus China Post tracking number to its system in case 2 that I mentioned and there was NO OPTION/REQUEST to enter an Australian Post tracking number :)). Hence, I responded to your lecturing of apparidown as it seems to have served no other purpose than being a distraction.

Before you lecture me again on something, I am aware that, in the cases I mentioned in my response, I could have simply reversed credit card payments (and let the other party take me to a tribunal if he wanted to do that). Alternatively, I could have taken matters to a small claim tribunal myself. My hourly time is worth a lot and running a formal disputed case that goes beyond a few e-mails was not economical thus far. Hence, normally, I absorbed the costs due to the inventive tracking schemes I mentioned only throwing a quiet tantrum. 18 months ago, I vented on this forum as I experienced the same tracking issue twice in a very short period of time and I was blamed by eBay for the shortcomings of its tracking system.

However, there are precedents in Anglo-Australian legal history where really pi**ed off and OC plaintiffs took "penny-sized" losses or concerns to courts as a matter of principle. eBay should still be concerned as Australian consumer protection rights are not easy to exclude using disclaimers and a dodged claim for a few bucks could "yield" millions in fines to a corporation (from memory, a pretty major hardware manufacturer had a fine like this quite recently in Australia) :).

PS: BTW, you should look up the term "linguistics" esp. its branches. If you did, you might have realised that "written syntax" is part of the field of study of linguistics before educating someone about it :). Like last time in your 18-month-old post, you might now come up with a frequency-type counter argument. Regardless of subject, you really don't like to loose an argument, do you (me neither :))?

Message 27 of 46
Latest reply

However, there are precedents in Anglo-Australian legal history where really pi**ed off and OC plaintiffs took "penny-sized" losses or concerns to courts as a matter of principle. eBay should still be concerned as Australian consumer protection rights are not easy to exclude using disclaimers and a dodged claim for a few bucks could "yield" millions in fines to a corporation (from memory, a pretty major hardware manufacturer had a fine like this quite recently in Australia) Smiley Happy.

As eBay claim to be, and are regarded at law to be, a facilitator rather than a seller of goods, I look forward to your report of your travails when trying to take them to court over a seller's or carrier's failure to deliver.

Especially, but not limited to, the fact that eBay provide avenues for members to get their money refunded if they don't receive their goods.

Message 28 of 46
Latest reply

c691600
Community Member
Ive had a package not delivered but saying delivered
The seller in the UK tells me it was sent by gsp never checked my actual address then says to me i must of given this gsp address as my shipping address then says ebay are responsible not him
It shows delivered on the 12th of may (a sunday) not likely i was home all day that day too hmmm??
Message 29 of 46
Latest reply

c691600
Community Member
From now on I’ll be asking the seller before i pay how they will be sending my item if its GSP i will cancel my order unless they chose another carrier
Message 30 of 46
Latest reply