refund

I bought it on eBay and when I received the product I realized that this was not the same as what I had bought. I contacted the seller and we reached an agreement. The seller offered me a partial refund of my money, but he said I would need to close the case so he could refund me. But when I go to my purchase history, I can't find the purchase I made to close the case. I would like to know how can I solve this problem.

Regards, Ana.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: refund

The deal we reached was that I wouldn't have to return the product, but he would give me back $30 (the value of the product is $56). I thought the product has low quality and some details of the original product in the photo were missing.
He said as this is not a full refund, he cannot refund with the case open. We've been talking for 1 month now. What would be the best way to resolve this?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

DO NOT close the case.

A seller can refund at any time. If they have asked you to close the case first, it is 99.9% sure that they will not refund you, nor respond to any further communications from you.

If they don't refund very shortly, when you can close the case with whatever option means the seller has to provide return shipping.

If they don't keep the item. If they do, send it back and then use the full refund to buy what you actually want.

In the meantime, read up on how the eBay Money Back Guarantee works.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

DO NOT CLOSE THE CASE

eBay Money Back Guarantee policy | eBay

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

The deal we reached was that I wouldn't have to return the product, but he would give me back $30 (the value of the product is $56). I thought the product has low quality and some details of the original product in the photo were missing.
He said as this is not a full refund, he cannot refund with the case open. We've been talking for 1 month now. What would be the best way to resolve this?

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

as already stated: DO NOT CLOSE CASE....get your money back & if they are in Australia (and want the item back) they will send you return shipping (paid by them)

Do not become a statistic!!!

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I suspect you have done your dough. A month is too long, eBay have probably already closed the case in the seller's favour as you haven't responded to it.

NEVER communicate with a seller outside of a case if you have a case open.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Ask if the seller can offer partial refund in dispute window? Like other says do not close the case from your end.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Talking for a month…?

You have not acted as required within the dispute timeframe. eBay’s dispute/refund/return process is entirely bot-driven. Buyers must open a SNAD (not as described) return request within 30 days. And once open, the case must NOT be closed if situation hasn’t been resolved. Nor can you just endlessly let the dispute hang. If you don’t ask eBay to step in within 21 days at the latest (after opening the dispute) in the event that the seller has not refunded you, the case will automatically close with NO REFUND. eBay’s dispute bot will assume that the buyer is satisfied.

I quote from eBay’s MBG Help page (with which you should be familiar):

❝Actions & time frames for "not as described" returns

Action

Time frame

The buyer requests a return

Start a return request

Latest:

The seller responds to the buyer's request

The seller is required to respond and provide a solution to the buyer's issue.

Latest:

• 3 business days after the request date

In some cases, eBay may automatically accept the return on the seller's behalf.

If the item is being returned

Ask eBay to step in

If the seller hasn't responded or hasn't issued a refund after receiving the return, or if the buyer and seller can't reach a resolution, either party can ask us to step in and help.

eBay may step in without the buyer asking if the seller didn't respond to the return request.

Once eBay steps in, eligible sellers will no longer be able to issue a partial refund to the buyer, even if the item is returned used or damaged.

Earliest:

• Once the seller has accepted the return, or 3 business days after the request date

Latest:

• 21 business days after the request date, if the seller never responded
  • 10 business days after the refund deadline has passed, if the seller is issuing a refund

eBay may hold the return request open for up to 35 business days after the date the return was accepted.

Deciding the outcome when the item doesn't match the listing

When a buyer reports that an item doesn't match the listing and the transaction meets our eligibility requirements, we will look for all of the following:

• Evidence that the buyer and seller have each met their return requirements
  • Whether the seller breached eBay policies when listing the item
  • Whether the item can be posted back to the seller
  • Proof of return delivery, if the item was being returned

If we determine that the seller did not meet their return requirements:

• The buyer will receive a refund for the full cost of the item and original postage, and
  • The seller will be required to reimburse eBay for the amount of the refund, and
  • The buyer may not be required to return the item

If we determine that the buyer did not meet their return requirements, the buyer may not receive a full refund for the item and/or postage costs.❞

You’ve let the seller string you along and fail even in the partial refund offer. You are entitled to full refund. Too late, though, in eBay… so open a refund request NOW in PayPal if you paid that way.

Had you persisted in the eBay process and asked eBay to step in (“escalated” the claim), your return postage would have been payable by the seller. (eBay enforces this.) Sadly PayPal no longer does… but if you phone PayPal and explain seller strung you along, and especially if seller is overseas so that cost of tracked postage would be disproportionately high, you may be able to get the refund without needing to return.

Do not mention your foolish acceptance of seller’s partial refund offer; they’ve reneged anyway.

If you need further help, post here.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

You do not deal and mess around with a seller

You follow the correct process

If you choose not to do so, that is up to you

But don’t expect eBay will do anything for you if you just do your own thing

They won’t 

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply