eBay Spring Seller Release

The place to post your comments or questions about Spring Seller Release.

Message 1 of 64
Latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

I sell unique works of Art. Everything is new and expensive. One of a kind. It cost a fortune to prepare it for delivery and delivery and insurance is not cheap either. I can not see why a person has the right to buy something and then return it because he'she does not like it at my expense. If it breaks, it is insured. 

The costs involved: A work is usually "streched". That costs anything from $65 to $110.00. For some deliveries, the frame must be removed, that costs about $25.00. Then is packaging insurance and deliver around $30 unstretched or around $80-100 if it is stretched. Most items due to size limits are not accepted by the Post office.

I can not see why, a person, just because his/her mother-in-law does not like it can return it at my expense. A buyer can do his home work, visit Galleries asses it's value (All artists I sell are Internationally known and highly colelctable). I can not see how can I accept Free returns.

Separate issue: I sold a "mobile phone" item. The buyer was happy everything did go OK. Than, a call, he decided to send it back, the battery was no good. I accepted it, it did come back. The battery was swollen, the problem is, I do not believe it was the original battery. He bought a mobile phone identical to his, the battery of his phone was damaged, he replaced the battery from the item he bough from me, and return the item with the faulty battery. Can I prove it? NO. Who is the looser? ME, 

Message 2 of 64
Latest reply

Making it clearer about how they address the policy violations of selling outside of eBay. Pffft. I suppose people can kiss goodbye to selling pick up only items because they'll get the **bleep** as soon as someone sends them a message to inspect. 

Sellers who violate the policy may be charged a FVF for the applicable item. If eBay want the 8c they would have got from me for an item that was never listed on eBay, go right ahead. I'm sure you can all get a payrise with that extra 8c.

Message 3 of 64
Latest reply

Why are eBay forcing us to use their (often erroneous) catalogue data?

Surely it is the sellers' choice  whether or not they want to 'enhance the buyer experience' by having incorrect information in their listings?

Message 4 of 64
Latest reply

I just don't understand this policy. For items that are pick up only - for example, furniture - most people would want to inspect it before making a bid or buying. But now they can't. So the only alternative is to buy it sight unseen. As if that is going to happen. But let's say they do buy, then rock up to pick the item up and discover it isn't what they thought it would be. Can the seller then cancel the sale? Or do they have to submit an UPI in order to retrieve their fees? But that then reflects badly on the buyer, who is not going to take that chance. Result - pick up items are not sold.

Message 5 of 64
Latest reply

I 'like' that we're all going to be opted in to their catalogue. Which is often wrong.

Not to mention them threatening to delist anything that doesn't sell in 12 months. Half my sales are for stuff that's been listed for more than 12 months. Looks like lots of 'sell similars' coming up. And clogging my unsold folder.

Message 6 of 64
Latest reply

@egglesdtp wrote:

I just don't understand this policy. For items that are pick up only - for example, furniture - most people would want to inspect it before making a bid or buying. But now they can't. So the only alternative is to buy it sight unseen. As if that is going to happen. But let's say they do buy, then rock up to pick the item up and discover it isn't what they thought it would be. Can the seller then cancel the sale? Or do they have to submit an UPI in order to retrieve their fees? But that then reflects badly on the buyer, who is not going to take that chance. Result - pick up items are not sold.

Yep. Applies to pretty much anything people would want to check over before buying - furniture, appliances, and especially vehicles.

I listed a car a month back, got about 3000 views during the course of the listing, and had lots of enquiries from potential bidders who wanted to look first, asking for a phone number / e-mail address so they could arrange a time to come and have a squiz. Under the new User Agreement, that's a "no", no matter how you swing it:

Phone number? Not allowed.

E-mail address? Not allowed.

Address? Not allowed.

If you look at car listings (I do, often), most sellers actually give their contact number in the listing, to allow would-be buyers to inspect the vehicle before bidding. As of the new User Agreement, that's out.

Just another example of the eBay knee-jerk reaction - they'll happily rob themselves of hundreds of dollars in FVF's by turning the lights out on a seller who's hit the hidden monthly cap, but hammer someone over losing a $10 FVF in an off-eBay sale...

Message 7 of 64
Latest reply

What on earth is their reasoning for getting rid of watermarks?

That leaves image theivery right open.

Message 8 of 64
Latest reply

Screwing sellers any and every way think can think of

That is ebay policy

Message 9 of 64
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

What on earth is their reasoning for getting rid of watermarks?

That leaves image theivery right open.

Already happening - I've found images of mine all over Pinterest, lifted from my eBay listings. And eBay cleverly insist on images of 1600 pixels minimum on the shortest side, which gives the image thieves nice large images to pinch.

Message 10 of 64
Latest reply