refunds on ebay

with the new policy on ebay re refunds,if the buyer gets a refund,does the seller get their item back before the buyer is refunded?and who pays all the postage costs?also ebay is going abit overboard as they are only a place for the public to buy and sell,bit like the local newspaper but they dont offer refunds.

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

refunds on ebay

@toysandthings12 wrote:

Thinking it will become a big problem with dodgy buyers.

6 months gaurantee is way way too steep.

Just trying to hose this down a bit....

There is no 6 month guarantee.

There are two policies - unfortuante that they have been released at the same time.

From ebay - 30-day money back guarantee where ebay steps in and helps to manage your post-sales activity with buyers -absolutely ludicrous with the defective defect system that goes along with it.  Ebay will force the seller to pay for return postage for item not described (NAD) and  get a defect for it too - too many and you're out.  Most stupid of all is that it encourages buyers to claim NAD for change of mind, and even commit malicious damage, in order to get the free return post.  

From paypal - extenstion of the current 45 day buyer and seller protections to 180 days.  This goes across all websites using paypal except gumtree.  This will still function the same way as it does now and the buyer will have to pay return postage.  It does not act as a warranty service as the item is only covered by paypal for it's condition as described at point of delivery.  I'm sure that if a buyer doesn't use the ebay return system (ie NAD within the first 30 days) then tries to claim NAD through paypal, paypal will be asking some very pointed questions.  But it will help with buying things through China that take almost 45 days or longer, etc.  

Hope that helps a bit.

So while the new ebay policy is carp for sellers, it's not 180 days.  That's a different thing.

Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

refunds on ebay

I have been selling welding equipment since 1985 .Some of these items only have a 30 day warranty because they are a usable item and need replacing fairly often depending on their usage. If any of these items have a manufacturing fault they are usually replaced under warranty. I cannot see why Ebay need to add any further warranty it makes no sence. I fail tosee how the new terms of trading are helping the sellers.I had a sale this week for a $1500 machine after sending the buyer 4 emails (that he claimed he did not recieve

( lost his phone) the only way I could get him to contact me was to sak if the only way I could get to contact me was to leave him negative feedback . He send me an email quickly informing me he had tried to pay for the welder but there was a problem with the payment system. However he had bought the same welder from another seller. I do not know if it was another ebay seller. WHAT WILL EBAY DO ABOUT THIS BUYER OR ANY BUYERS WHEN THEY DONT PAY .THE ANSWER IS NOTHING. instead of sprting these buyers out by cancelling their account . I am told to send the buyer an email for him to request a cancellation of purchase .Ebay will forward his request onto me & I will ok the cancellation of the sale . HE WILL HAVE NO PENALTY PENALTY EMPOSED ON HIM.

Ebay will not tell me what the penalty is even if they emposed one. In other words the new rules favour the buyer at the sellers expence . Any other conclusion than this is not possible. I believe most sellers work very hard to attract & keep customers I do I will always go out of may to please my customers. If there was any alternative selling system available I would change horses tomorrow.

BUT SOON THERE WILL BE . No happy ebay are interfering with my business . How dare they change the rules that will disavantage the sellers.  David M

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

refunds on ebay

I have already had this problem.
A buyer bought a spare part for their dishwasher .
It was delivered all ok.
Today I get a dispute lodged buy this buyer.
The dispute was item not as described.
The buyer did not contact me first ,just went straight to a dispute ,when I contacted the buyer ,she had not used eBay before and had purchased the WRONG part and didn't know what to do.

Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

refunds on ebay

Ive been selling on ebay now for four years.

This year i started doing it full time and i also look after my toddler.

I'm finding what ebay are doing is just a massive money grab on the sellers expense. Its a good way to reduce refunding final value fees and a quick way to increase sales, just like adding the fee on postage.

I am going to list as many items as i can on Quicksales as i can. This is the only way i can think of to put an end to the monopoly and the constant changes that effect mom and dad sellers. I cannot afford the time and money to change 1000+ listings 2-3 times a year and now with all this over regulation its doing my head in.

Anyway it is what it is, i will continue to use ebay cause i have to, i will also support any alternatives 100% as that is the only way to break the monopoly!

Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

refunds on ebay

samorn9
Community Member

The refund rule stinks, I bought a cordless tool kit from the usa they sent the wrong kit a cheaper version than i paid for and that was advertised, ebay money back guaruntee? sure no probs get your purchase price and postage back....after you pay the 128 dollar return shipping on this 7.5kg tool set i didnt order, wish i had paid by credit card so i could do a charge back and let the seller sort their own pick up and wrongly sent parcel recovery cost

Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

refunds on ebay

I had a refund done 3 days ago by eBays new thing and eBay gave them postage as well even thou had not payed postage it was free postage now how do i get my money back who pays that?Also I noticed when you buy an item it has beside it in large letters RETURN now thats going to make the badies come out and buy and then hit return and we the seller will lose again i don't think its fair the seller of secondhand items have to refund unless its a not as decribed.If it get damaged in postage why should we suffer thats not our fault please help me understand please some one.

Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

refunds on ebay

The sad fact is ebay dont give a royal continental about seller, or your item are second hand or not, ebay is all for the buyer in my opinion. There new policys are putting more and more sellers out of selling.
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

refunds on ebay

@samorn9 wrote:

The refund rule stinks, I bought a cordless tool kit from the usa they sent the wrong kit a cheaper version than i paid for and that was advertised, ebay money back guaruntee? sure no probs get your purchase price and postage back....after you pay the 128 dollar return shipping on this 7.5kg tool set i didnt order, wish i had paid by credit card so i could do a charge back and let the seller sort their own pick up and wrongly sent parcel recovery cost

If you'd used ebay's MBG than the seller is responsible for return post for Item not as Described.  This system started 1st November.

Paypal require the buyer to pay return post.

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

refunds on ebay

bizzarebabe
Community Member

I am getting tired of dishonest buyers on ebay because of the system in place.

30 day refund with the seller being asked to pay the return postage is what I am seeing.

Ok, 30 days with the ebay system which does not line up with the 45 days on paypal. So, effectively it is

already 45 days as most pay via paypal.

Tonight I was contacted by a pedantic buyer who had asked for me to provide more photos

on a product prior to purchasing.  She would have received the scarf one day after sending it out to her.

Now almost 3 weeks later she decides........well, it is a bit brighter than I thought it would be and

I see you offer refunds?  Seriously, the item is as described and I do not see why I have to 

refund to a person who did not contact me straight away (with a week) when not happy.  She could have

been wearing it for 3 weeks for all I know.

I feel trapped by the ebay system and am feeling the squeeze moreso now with the get what you paid for

scheme in place.  Ebay is obviously feeling the pressure of competing with Aliexpress and it's policies.

Markets are sounding better to me.  Quicksales for some reason did not work for me a few years back.

I note that sales on facebook are booming.

Ebay does not care about sellers unless they are high profile sellers with large volumes of sales

and expensive items that are sent at parcel postage costs.

Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

refunds on ebay

Well have just had my first one .....ever.

This should prove most informative.

If I lose out, I quit ebay.

Hopefully it is just a communication and innocent activity action.

Hope another selling and payment platform is available.

Message 20 of 30
Latest reply