Can inadequate sellers be blocked or put on a "black list" or similar?

I have had a number of unsatisfactory experiences dealing with sellers with regard to best offers recently and I want to be able to ensure that I don't have to encounter them again. Can inadequate sellers be blocked or put on a "black list" or something similar?

I created a watchlist titled "Black Listed Sellers" and picked an item from each seller and put it on the list with a note to self about why they fail. But this is a rather crude and clunky way to do this. Can inadequate sellers be blocked or put on a "black list" or something similar? 

Message 1 of 148
Latest reply
147 REPLIES 147

Re: Can inadequate sellers be blocked or put on a "black list" or similar?

For not knowing how to treat customers. Decline offer is there for a reason.

As I have already discussed, some people's personality is just not suited to retail, even online.

But given that there will probably always be people who try to do things they're not suited for, the best solution in the context of what we have discussed is to give buyers the ability to PERMANENTLY block sellers.

Message 91 of 148
Latest reply

Just - LOL - at ' errant '.

Message 92 of 148
Latest reply

AFAIC the answer has been given.

If that is 'too hard', then there's no point continuing.

As someone else pointed out - just bung a sticky note of sellers you don't want to deal with on your monitor.

I'm out.

Message 93 of 148
Latest reply

OP, did you skip over the first part of my post?

As I said, sometimes “make an offer” will appear without the seller’s knowledge or permission. Your lambasting such sellers for enabling make an offer is illogical.

Even if a seller enabled it himself/herself, it’s not incumbent on that seller to accept your offer. To label such sellers as inadequate is unjustifiable. I’m not saying this as a “bitter” seller as I’m neither bitter over “20% off” offers nor am I a seller.

Sellers may enable “make an offer” for specific purchasing situations — multiple item discounts, repeat customers, and so on. In other situations, because it doesn’t suit their selling model, they may only be able or willing to accept a small discount offer.

You’re perfectly entitled to make what I (and many others) consider lowball offers. Sellers are perfectly entitled to reject such offers and even to block you. That’s how it is. You may not need to think of ways to block sellers who have rejected your offers in the past, as it’s at least possible you’ll be blocked from buying from them, which solves that issue.

If you do want to keep a record of sellers from whom you don’t want to buy, I realise it’s tedious creating saved searches with specific exclusions, but that is the only option for you, I think. Your buying pattern clearly favours the sort of items that have a sufficient margin to let the sellers give you that 20% discount. That being the case, there’s no further suggestion I have, as my buying pattern is different.

Your buying is up to you and what you offer is up to you. The other responders on this thread are in essence pointing out that the opposite is true as well - that sellers’ selling and what offers they accept is up to them. I don’t think you should be labelled as an inadequate buyer, so why are you labelling sellers who can’t or won’t give you a substantial discount as inadequate? That’s what has me puzzled.

Message 94 of 148
Latest reply

@**_all_the_gods_** wrote:

For not knowing how to treat customers. Decline offer is there for a reason.

As I have already discussed, some people's personality is just not suited to retail, even online.

But given that there will probably always be people who try to do things they're not suited for, the best solution in the context of what we have discussed is to give buyers the ability to PERMANENTLY block sellers.....

-----------------------------------------------

Read up on making offers.  sellers are quite within their rights to ignore an offer and simply let it time out.  Once it times out you can take it for gospel it has been declined.

A seller does not have to decline or counter offer, don't like it  bad luck.

I dont have make an offer on my listings, still does not stop buyers from making them.

Message 95 of 148
Latest reply

20% is off the headline price.

It doesn't take into account fixed costs, like purchase price, postage, packing and handling...

In effect, it is far more than 20%, and comes directly out of a seller's profit. Maybe even reducing it to 0.

Message 96 of 148
Latest reply

I have 1 product that is listed at under  50%  of the nearest ebay competitor, let alone actual  RRP.

Had an offer before xmas for  33% less than asking price,  they came back again with an 0ffer 20% less than asking price.  They eventually got the message and purchased at listed price.

Message 97 of 148
Latest reply

The OP has obviously never run a business - only worked in such.

Message 98 of 148
Latest reply

The comment you replied to does not mention costs such as warehousing, storage and insurance. This tells me they are not operating a business but just giving themselves a job. Most ebay sellers consider themselves in business but in reality unless you can sell your ebay store it is not a business. Whenever someone asks me what I do for a living I say I sell on ebay even though I do have a warehouse but I never call it a business. 

Message 99 of 148
Latest reply

an ellipsis means I couldn't be bothered listing the myriad other fixed costs that a business incurs and the OP, by their own admission, considers irrelevant.

Do you have issues addressing me directly?

Message 100 of 148
Latest reply