Has ebay ever supported the seller in a dispute?

Can anyone tell me...

Has ebay ever supported the seller in a dispute? 

All I have ever seen is that the Buyer is always right even when not.

If ebay didn't have sellers there would be no ebay!

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Has ebay ever supported the seller in a dispute?

eBay's dispute processes are bot-driven. There are certain criteria which will lead the dispute down a particular automatic pathway.

There's no doubt that buyers have far more power than sellers, and that the burden of proof is ridiculously placed upon the seller's shoulders to the extent that in some cases, it's impossible to prove to eBay what they would need to have proved in order to rule in the seller's favour.

However, there are certainly things that sellers can do to protect themselves.

To prevent a claim of an item not having arrived, send by a trackable method where proof of delivery can be shown. (Under eBay's MBG, proof of delivery is required rather than proof of postage. PayPal's burden of proof of lower - it's proof of postage that is required for them.)

If you can't justify the cost of signature on delivery (proof of delivery), then self-insure. That means that you can cover the cost of the inevitable claims that an item hasn't arrived. Work out how many claims are made per year, the cost of the items, the total per year that such claims cost you, and then divide that by the total number of sales you make on average per year. That will give you the extra amount you should charge for postage to self-insure.

Keep excellent records. Sometimes you can go over eBay's head by talking to PayPal and demonstrating that you have sent an item based on your meticulously-kept records incl tracking number. If you have to take it to the FOS, those records will demonstrate you have a proven track record of sending items in a timely fashion, complete with customer's name, suburb, weight of parcel, tracking number, etc.

To minimise claims of items not as described, take high-resolution photos, including some that you don't upload on the listing and which prove definitively the identification of the item. If you sell items with serial numbers, always keep a record and photo of those. Describe every defect in your listing; under-rate rather than over-rate.

You can choose whether or not to have returns accepted; I note that you have a return policy for change of mind saying 14 days... but I think eBay override that now. It's 30 or 60 days according to the Setting up your returns policy page. If you're not happy with that (and frankly, I can see why sellers would not like it), change to "No returns". Buyers can still request a return if there's a problem, but not if they just don't like the colour or have changed their minds for some reason.

Your listings offer Click and Collect. I'd get rid of that, as Click and Collect just means there's a third party involved, which more chances of something going wrong. What if the buyer doesn't get the SMS to pick up the item?: What if they never get the code? What if the staff at one of the supermarkets specified for click and collect doesn't know where the item is? Or the parcel's simply lost? Too much chance of things going wrong...

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Jump in the Tardis and go back to start your own eBay. Smiley Wink

Seriously, I have always won a case as a seller when it's been a PayPal case but never eBay.

All of mine have been smaller items that have disappeared.

A couple have been dubious but the rest were from countries I now don't post to.

image host
Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@2014audaryl wrote:

If ebay didn't have sellers there would be no ebay!

I find it unfortunate that sellers think that they are the only important people on ebay.

If the buyers go away then there would be no ebay either.....no point in having sellers if there are no buyers.

Sellers cannot force the buyers to use ebay and there are plenty of other online sites around now that were not available when ebay started.

All things considered I think ebay needs to rethink the way they are treating sellers, without completely ignoring buyers.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Agreed,

I think a more personal aapproach reviewing the issue not Algorythm's making decisions.

I do ship Internationally and have had no issues - they all stem from local shipments.....

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Thanks for your humor.. but it is my own ebay I'm refering to.

I think a more personal approach reviewing the issue is required not Algorythm's making decisions.

I do ship Internationally and have had no issues - they all stem from local shipments.....

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Psssst, Kopes did ya spot this ?

Capture.PNG

Spoiler
That'll get the trolls some members fired up............................
Spoiler
Mind you with all the carp she's copped recently it's probably well-deserved.
Spoiler
Here ya go lyndal.........................original.gif         Well done.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

To be fair Lithium said when they took over the boards they were going to do something like that.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

PADI......ya mongrel.  I was hoping no-one would notice that.   You will keep!!!Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Wow, Does that mean we need to bow n curtsey when we see lyndal ?

(They have used the US spelling)

And the name in bold......................looks noice. tiphat.gif

image host
Message 10 of 22
Latest reply