Asked by seller to remove negative feedback; offered a full refund and keep the item.

Hi all,

I was asked by a seller to remove a recent negative feedback that I gave them due to an item I received being of very poor quality. In return for removing the feedback, I was offered a full refund and to keep the item I recieved. I plan to decline.

My question is, would this kind of offer be against eBay's terms of service? As a whole it seems unethical to be for a seller to be asking this to remove and bad mark for selling a bad quality item.

Let me know what you think. 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Asked by seller to remove negative feedback; offered a full refund and keep the item.

Not hard to find 4channel.  Just go to OP's fb left for others.  OP states it was a keyboard.

I think the seller probably went about it the wrong way.

Refunding first, and sending buyer a message to say that you have, and a request for fb revision at the same time, no need to return, gets the job done.

That way it's not fb extortion.

Don't know why the OP has refused the refund.  Doesn't make sense. 

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

@mwiltshire776 wrote:

Hi all,

I was asked by a seller to remove a recent negative feedback that I gave them due to an item I received being of very poor quality. In return for removing the feedback, I was offered a full refund and to keep the item I recieved. I plan to decline.

My question is, would this kind of offer be against eBay's terms of service? As a whole it seems unethical to be for a seller to be asking this to remove and bad mark for selling a bad quality item.

Let me know what you think. 

I would not call it feedback extortion as such. They are offering to remedy a situation where you are unhappy.

However, if you do accept (which personally, I would), I would say that you will change it once you receive the refund.

I think what we have here is a difficult situation because you've given feedback on the quality of the item and not the actual transaction.

For example, you got the keyboard you ordered, as per the ad, presumably it arrived within the right time frame, so in those respects, the seller has done exactly what was required.

If the item had been broken or damaged or clearly misrepresented in the ad and didn't have the features as advertised, that would be different too.

But it doesn't seem as if that was the case.

I think it is a hard situation because you're unhappy with the quality of the product. Supposedly, feedback is not meant to be so much about the product as such but about the transaction though the reality of the situation is a lot of buyers want to comment on the product and a lot of potential buyers want to know about the product, it is useful information.

I'm not after a keyboard but I have to admit, your feedback is exactly what I would want to know.

If you do accept the offer to change to positive feedback, personally I would word it so you started with a positive eg Arrived quickly, reliable seller-but then add a small bit about it being a bad typing experience.

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply