Buyer Possibly Lying about Australian Item location

Hi I recently made a purchase from a seller with 11,000+ reviews and around 98% positive, it was also listed as an eBay top seller. The item location was given as Sydney and I even messaged the seller to confirm. The seller did not provide a tracking number and the shipment has not arrived after 11 days, even though I live in a metro area in Melbourne and I usually receive things from Sydney in 3-4 days at the most.

However, I have an AusPost account and today received an email that I have a parcel coming, the sender is listed as “startrack int c/o aukeys”. As this has been my only recent purchase I think it is the item I was expecting and this makes me suspect that the seller just lied to me and is sending the item from abroad. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any ideas how best to proceed or confirm my suspicions?

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

It does have the money back guarantee tag so I assume Im safe there. Also, it would be against consumer law in Australia, and according to this article below I think eBay says clearly its not allowed,

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-policies/item-location-misrepresentation-policy?id=424...
Message 11 of 38
Latest reply

@sabbirissocoollike wrote:
It does have the money back guarantee tag so I assume Im safe there. Also, it would be against consumer law in Australia, and according to this article below I think eBay says clearly its not allowed,

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-policies/item-location-misrepresentation-policy?id=424...

As I said the only way to get a refund is if it's an "item not received" case or an "item not as described" case.

The seller gets around the location part by having warehouses in Australia, even if most (or all) of their items are posted from overseas. eBay Australia will claim the location misrepresentation is eBay China's problem - and eBay China will do nothing about it.

It's been going on for years now, and is not going to stop anytime soon because eBay makes money out of it.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 12 of 38
Latest reply

large volume seller, want to know if they are shipping from china, check their feedback, if they are pretending items are in australia when they are actually in china you can bet a few buyers have left feedback saying so.

check negatives first.

Message 13 of 38
Latest reply

Hi I recently made a purchase from a seller with 11,000+ reviews and around 98% positive, it was also listed as an eBay top seller. The item location was given as Sydney and I even messaged the seller to confirm. The seller did not provide a tracking number and the shipment has not arrived after 11 days, even though I live in a metro area in Melbourne and I usually receive things from Sydney in 3-4 days at the most.

However, I have an AusPost account and today received an email that I have a parcel coming, the sender is listed as “startrack int c/o aukeys”. As this has been my only recent purchase I think it is the item I was expecting and this makes me suspect that the seller just lied to me and is sending the item from abroad. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any ideas how best to proceed or confirm my suspicions?

Sometimes sellers are selling items they don't have or own. They have items despacted from another location. Many high volume sellers don't even have any of the stock on hand. You click buy-it-now on one of their listings and they then order from a supplier who then ships to you. Sometimes they supplier they order from has run out of stock and then it goes to back order. That means the buyer waits longer. So seller may very well be in Australia but items being ordered from a supplier in China or even Peru.

Message 14 of 38
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@1ozy wrote:

Even though Ebay policies state you must own an item before listing it these sellers seem to get away with it.

The other type of sellers is those that list actual store items and then go purchase the item once you paid for it. Totally illegal but they it and I have caught a couple sellers out as those items where dearer in the store due to not being on special anymore and the sellers excuse was it was not available because the item price had gone up. So if he had the item how could the price have changed. Common sense no.

Would you care to show where ebay says you must own an item before listing it for sale?

If it were true then can you explain why ebay is OK with sellers who dropship?

There are also no rules about where a seller sources the items that they list.  If they want to go into a store and buy something and list it on ebay then good luck to them.   If you are referring to the hall table that came from Kmart then the seller did nothing wrong.....the same unbranded table was listed by several sellers at higher prices and no-one complained about that.  The buyer was just annoyed that the seller made a profit by having the table delivered direct from Kmart.

Sorry Lyndal.     3rd parties are not allowed.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/selling-policies/third-party-fulfilment-policy?id=4718&st=2&po...

Message 15 of 38
Latest reply

How is it different to dropshipping which is allowed?

Edit.....and what about the DVD and book sellers who have things shipped direct from Amazon or other overseas businesses.

Message 16 of 38
Latest reply

Maybe ebay are not losing out on as much $$ from fees in those situations?

Message 17 of 38
Latest reply

[...] its an electrical item that noramlly has a long warranty and I dont trust an overseas seller to honour it and also as I dont like being lied to.

@sabbirissocoollike, the seller information states:

Based in China, REMOVED has been an eBay member since 14 Aug, 2010

Feedback score of 11433Yellow shooting star icon for feedback score in between 10,000 to 24,999), and feedback percentage of 98.4%.

I wouldn't have done business with them. 98.4% is too low a % for a large seller, even if I were willing to buy from a Chinese seller an item which you have mentioned above is an electronic item. (And I'm not.) The sort of feedback that one should look for in a high volume seller is around 99.6% as a minimum, as a general rule (in my opinion).

One of the immoveable no-nos for online buying, in my view, is electronic items from Chinese sellers.

You say that it's an item that usually has a long warranty. Truly, truly, this purchase was a mistake from the very outset! A warranty from a Chinese eBay seller isn't worth so much as a piece of toilet paper. If you want a warranty, you should buy from an Australian business with an ABN and with responsibilities to you, the consumer, under Australian consumer law.

Had you clicked onto the 38 (current negative feedback number over the last 12 months), you'd have seen the recent negative feedback comments, and known that this was a bad deal AND that the seller was sending from China.

(See below.)

In future, be aware that when a seller whose eBay information reveals that s/he is "based in China", expect that the item is being sent from China. Buy Australian if you want a warranty. Don't buy electronic / electrical items from Chinese sellers. Check the negative feedback to see whether the item is likely to be genuine.

Even if the item arrives, it's almost certainly going to be fake, and it will almost definitely not meet Australian electric compliance standards. (I would certainly not use any of the items sold by this seller.)

Better luck with your future buying.

Negative feedback ratingFake needles, can’t use as it will damage the skin, contacted seller, no help! Buyer:
a***m ( 50Blue star icon for feedback score in between 50 to 99)
During past month   0.20-2.5mm 540 Titanium Microneedle Derma Roller Dermaroller Micro Needle Skin (#173197369272) AU $6.80  
Negative feedback ratingfake needles, can’t use, contacted seller, no help. Going in the bin Buyer:
a***m ( 50Blue star icon for feedback score in between 50 to 99)
During past month   0.20-2.5mm 540 Titanium Microneedle Derma Roller Dermaroller Micro Needle Skin (#173197369272) AU $6.82 
Negative feedback ratingArrived broken,seller can't read English,trying to justify damaged item, avoid Buyer:
n***n ( 628Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999)
During past month   1pc Hot Bavarian Edge Kitchen Knife Sharpener, Sharpens, Hones & Polishe newest (#183150717459) AU $20.99  
Negative feedback ratingdont buy for it....nothing same as decription....nothing inside, worst item ever Buyer:
m***m ( 43Yellow star icon for feedback score in between 10 to 49)
During past 6 months   Cleaner Mini Auto Car air purifier Fresh Air Ionic Freshener Oxygen Bar Ionizer (#183110830345) AU $9.97  
Negative feedback ratingAvoid in china. Took ages to arrive and arrived faulty seller not responding Buyer:
a***i ( 423Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499)
During past 6 months   2x VAUXHALL VXR INSIGNIA CREE LED PROJECTOR CAR DOOR LIGHTS SHADOW COURTESY LOGO (#173101854519) GBP 9.87  
Negative feedback ratingItem didn't work. But refund given. Slow to respond to messages Buyer:
m***c ( 601Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999)
During past 6 months   SUPER Mini HDMI /AV Built-in 621 Retro TV Game Console 8 Bit Classic Controllers (#173103623955) GBP 28.90  
Negative feedback ratingNot in the UK, shipped from China, wrong item sent, and tried to fobb me off! Buyer:
p***m ( 290Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499)
During past 6 months   Portable 40CM Photography Lighting Cube Tent Photo Studio Light Box 2-LED-Strips (#172816479409) GBP 21.32  
Negative feedback ratingSeller never sent item out Buyer:
b***m ( 795Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999)
During past 6 months   NEW Born Baby Infant Socks Wrist Bands Rattle SOUNDS Rattling Sensory UK STOCK (#172942897162) GBP 3.90  
Negative feedback ratingStopped working after 3day Buyer:
e***y ( 45Yellow star icon for feedback score in between 10 to 49)
During past 6 months   Qi Wireless Charger Slim Charging Pad / Receiver KIT IOS For Samsung S8 S7 PLUS (#182822349850) GBP 4.99  
Negative feedback ratingITEM DID NOT HAVE A UK CHARGER. RETURNED FOR REFUND. Buyer:
a***1 ( 987Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999)
During past 6 months   NEW PXP 3 PVP 16 BIT CONSOLE SLIM STATION 100+ RETRO GAMES USB Charge 2.7"SCREEN (#182886905972) GBP 12.69  
Negative feedback ratingItem hasn't come from UK hencelate delivery, seller said to check with neighbors Buyer:
k***g ( 44Yellow star icon for feedback score in between 10 to 49)
During past 6 months   S M L XXL Pet Dog Warm Jumper Sweater Clothing Puppy Knit Costume Coat Christmas (#172971403454) GBP 5.89  
Negative feedback ratingParcel not arrived, told 3 excuses, refund requested 3 times but not given yet. Buyer:
w***a ( 66Blue star icon for feedback score in between 50 to 99)
During past 6 months   S M L XXL Pet Dog Warm Jumper Sweater Clothing Puppy Knit Costume Coat Christmas (#172971403454) GBP 4.57  
Negative feedback ratingXl might fit a mouse. Seller will not respond. Avoid avoid Buyer:
a***l ( 1501Red star icon for feedback score in between 1,000 to 4,999)
During past 6 months   S M L XXL Pet Dog Warm Jumper Sweater Clothing Puppy Knit Costume Coat Christmas (#172971403454) GBP 5.69  
Negative feedback ratingPaid for but not delivered Buyer:
l***t ( 23Yellow star icon for feedback score in between 10 to 49)
During past 6 months   S M L XXL Pet Dog Warm Jumper Sweater Clothing Puppy Knit Costume Coat Christmas (#172971403454) GBP 6.83  
Negative feedback ratingPaid for but not delivered Buyer:
l***t ( 23Yellow star icon for feedback score in between 10 to 49)
During past 6 months   S M L XXL Pet Dog Warm Jumper Sweater Clothing Puppy Knit Costume Coat Christmas (#172971403454) GBP 4.89  
Negative feedback ratingAbsolute rubbish, seller is in China but saying in London, won't send item Buyer:
m***o ( 678Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999)
During past 6 months   S M L XXL Pet Dog Warm Jumper Sweater Clothing Puppy Knit Costume Coat Christmas (#172971403454) GBP 5.69  
Negative feedback ratingdont purchase,take ages to reply and item never did arrive Buyer:
e***2 ( 580Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999)
During past 6 months   S M L XXL Pet Dog Warm Jumper Sweater Clothing Puppy Knit Costume Coat Christmas (#172971403454) GBP 9.74  

Message 18 of 38
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

How is it different to dropshipping which is allowed?

Edit.....and what about the DVD and book sellers who have things shipped direct from Amazon or other overseas businesses.

Don't kill the messenger     Related imageI haven't got a clue.

But I bet Digi knows.

Message 19 of 38
Latest reply

Smiley LOL  Yes, I am sure Digi knows.....is there anything the lovely Digi doesn't know?

I just cannot see how one is allowed and the other is against policy.

Message 20 of 38
Latest reply