Can a seller cancel a product then relist for a higher price?

Hi

I won some concert tickets this afternoon that had been on auction for 5 days, I received an email not long ago telling me that the seller had cancelled the order and listed the reason as product was out of stock or damamged they then relisted them for an extra $250, is there anything I can do?

Many Thanks

Janelle

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@*jellie* wrote:

Hi

I won some concert tickets this afternoon that had been on auction for 5 days, I received an email not long ago telling me that the seller had cancelled the order and listed the reason as product was out of stock or damamged they then relisted them for an extra $250, is there anything I can do?

Many Thanks

Janelle

Not really. You can't force them to send the tickets.

That price difference is whopping. Did they perhaps start the tickets at a low price? Sometimes people start very low & expect buyers to bid madly then it doesn't happen & they are left with less than they are willing to sell for.

It's their fault for listing too low in the first place of course but if the seller has cancelled a sale there's not much you can do.

It's disappointing but look at it this way-they are taking a risk as the tickets may not sell at the higher price. 

You will have to decide if the higher price is worth it to you or a fair price.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

May be worth getting eBay involved (via Live Chat or phone call) - if the seller has given "out of stock" as the reason for the cancellation, then immediately relisted the exact same item they've said they were out of, that's an abuse of the system.

It still won't get you the tickets, but the seller may cop a rap across the knuckles which will perhaps make them behave more ethically.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

If they cancelled usng the out of stock option, then they would have gotten a defect.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Negative feedback is the obvious answer.
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Wrong. The buyer can report the seller to eBay for violating their seller policies if the seller cancelled without giving them a reason and the seller will receive an infraction. 

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

You are replying to a member who gave their answer in 2017

Why wait five years to give your advice which is of no help to the OP now at all

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

@maddimason_77 wrote:

Wrong. The buyer can report the seller to eBay for violating their seller policies if the seller cancelled without giving them a reason and the seller will receive an infraction. 

Not sure what is worse a seller cancelling a sale.   Or someone scrapping up a 3 year and 7 year old thread.  I'll go with the old thread being the worse today.  But tomorrow, hey who knows.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply