DON'T give me any second chance offers

TO ALL SELLERS OUT THERE.  Don't bother giving me second chance offers!  I won't ever take it up!  I will give an example of what I mean....I bid on an item that I really wanted, so put a very high bid on, and thought that no-one would outbid me....lo and behold a sniper did!  Well, the sniper didn't pay for the item, so I was offered it at MY HIGHEST BID.  The sniping doesn't worry me, nor the fact that I was outbid, what REALLY, REALLY annoys me, is that a NON-PAYING bidder can bid as high as they like, a MILLION DOLLARS  if they like, after all, they are not going to pay anyway!  So why aren't  ALL of their bids deleted when they do not pay, as if they never bid at all, and why should I pay the maximum amount I bid, instead of the amount I would have paid if they had not bid at all?  I have no way of knowing if this was SHILL bidding or not, and even if not, I consider the non-paying buyer's bids to be invalid and they should be totally removed.  So, no matter how much I wanted the item, I would NEVER EVER EVER buy it under these circumstances. It's a matter of principle.

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: DON'T give me any second chance offers

I doubt that anything has changed in the last 2 years.

For the record I usually do accept 2nd chance offers.  Most of the items in question are new and boxed collectibles so not much chance of not getting exactly what I have bid on.

I would be a bit more cautious if the items were used though.

Message 31 of 54
Latest reply

I think my success rate with SCO's has been almost 100% (on another id).  I've been suprised by that myself.

I know the OP is from 2013, but I reckon if I was so unhappy with raised prices of items due to snipers, I'd try negotiating a lower price with the seller after receiving a SCO.  Often sellers are grateful just to get the original asking price, so anything above is a bonus, and they're usually feeling some degree of disappointment from a NPB anyway.  Just a thought.

Message 32 of 54
Latest reply

black *poppy,

I know the OP is from 2013, but I reckon if I was so unhappy with raised prices of items due to snipers, I'd try negotiating a lower price with the seller after receiving a SCO.  Often sellers are grateful just to get the original asking price, so anything above is a bonus, and they're usually feeling some degree of disappointment from a NPB anyway.  Just a thought.

I have bought many items on SCO - at the price that was my highest bid.

Wouldn't dream of then asking the seller for the lower price, after all that was what I was prepared to pay anyway, irrelevant weather it was a sniper or shill bidder who beat my price.

And when you say "sellers" are grateful to get the the asking price, so it's OK to give them less - not OK by the long shot!

I read grateful as being desperate, one less reason to offer them less money, as they obviously need it the most!

Time to haggle is well before the sale end (not an auction though), nothing wrong with that at all - but once you commit a sum of money it's like breaking one's word - a big no-no, trying to go back on that

Just seeing someone, anyone, readily agreeing to anything out of desperation just to get some money would instantly inspire me to give them more!

Message 33 of 54
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

I think my success rate with SCO's has been almost 100% (on another id).  I've been suprised by that myself.

Not all SCO's are due to NPB's. Most of the ones I have been offered have been within half an hour of an auction finishing. 99% of the time I accept them because I'd bid on the item because I wanted it. The last one I felt terrible after it arrived because I realised it was worth about 3 times as much as what the winning bid was. Still, the seller was obviously happy to accept the lower prices, or else he wouldn't have offered the SCO.

I didn't know you could negotiate a price on SCO's. Not that I'd ever do it, because I was happy to pay the price that was my highest bid, or I wouldn't have bid that amount.

Message 34 of 54
Latest reply

Technically you can't negotiate the price of SCOs....but when has that ever stopped some buyers.

They are supposed to be offered to the underbidder at the price they originally bid.....in other words, one bid increment below the winning bid.

When I was buying Bunnykins figurines I usually made my highest bid 10-15% below retaile price.  If I won at a price below that then good on me.  If I received a SCO for that amount I accepted it as the seller was happy and I was still getting it for less than I would pay in the shops.

Message 35 of 54
Latest reply

I've offered a few SCO's over the years because I've had multiples of the same, or items that are very similar (same item, but slightly different size). Some buyers accept, some don't, which is absolutely fine. For the very similar items, I mention in the SCO that if they want a photo of the similar item to send me a message and I'll fire some off to them. A few have accepted the offer sight unseen, one buyer asked for photos then accepted the offer.

I've never had anyone have a go at me for sending one. I did have someone who sent a message thanking me for the offer, but they wouldn't be accepting it as they had bought one from someone else. They said they'd noticed the offer was for 3 days, so wanted to let me know so I could cancel it and relist it. I thought that was very kind. Sadly though, most of my items sell for only one bid, so am limited on the amount of SCO's I can offer.

I think SCO's are great for sellers who want to offer them. The underbidder gets the item they want at the price they wanted and the seller gets to sell another item. Win win in my books!

Message 36 of 54
Latest reply

I like second chance offers - not that I've received many.

If the winner doesn't pay that's a plus for me (I never bid more than I'm willing to pay).

If the seller has more than one item and offers me one that's a plus for me too.

I don't see a problem with them.  Sometimes I wish they happened more often.

Message 37 of 54
Latest reply

Bidder history will show whether the winning bidders are repeat bidders on a particular sellers items if you suspect schill bidding.

Sellers who sell a lot couldn't hide regular schill bidding, its casual sellers who are most likely to be tempted to do this.

Marketing and sales is all a game of poker anyway. 

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 38 of 54
Latest reply

I agree 100% with what you said about a non paying bidder having all his/her bids removed from the auction.

If their last bid was bogus, why are any others considered valid?

On the other hand I am not against second chance offers and have taken a few up, although I would be super careful these days.

The circumstances where I have taken them up have been where the seller was selling new items and had another one.

I also bought once when a seller had a non paying bidder but there had been other bidders as well, not just me and Bogus Bidder.

Message 39 of 54
Latest reply

when i have more than 1 item the same , on my listing very rare . i say we have another can of bla bla ,if the price is right the winner can get the second canat that price.

if the buyer says dont wont the second can, i will offer it to the second highest bidder, which they would know as of the listing.

Message 40 of 54
Latest reply