EBAY FRAUD

Hi, I received the following email from eBay:

> We’re writing to let you know that an unauthorised third party may have accessed the seller’s account to list this item. The item has been removed from the site, and the transaction was cancelled. We ask that you take the following precautions:

- If you already paid for the item, you may be protected by eBay. Open a request with the Resolution Centre and choose, "I bought an item. I haven't received it yet." You can access the Resolution Centre by visiting:
   http://resolutioncentre.ebay.co.uk/ 

- If the transaction doesn't qualify for eBay’s protection, please immediately contact the payment service used to request a refund.

- If you haven't paid for your item, consider this transaction cancelled and do not send payment.

In this situation, your account wasn't accessed by the third party involved. At eBay, we take a number of steps to help ensure the security of your account. Learn more about protecting your account at:
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/protecting.html

How did they access my eBay account and make the purchase?

How did they access my PayPal acount and complete payment?

This email is vague and uninformative. I need toknow how this happend, and when I will receive my money back.

Please assist me in this urgent matter.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: EBAY FRAUD

I know, I'm Australian.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

Yep, it's real. I can see the purchase in my eBay history and in my PayPal transactions.

I have already changed both my eBay and PayPal passwords.

I also unlinked my PayPal account from eBay, but this does absolutely nothing - I can still one-click purchase items without needing to log into PayPal. Ridiculous.

What's worse is that both eBay and PayPal have such awful customer service. No way to speak to a human, just a **bleep**ty drop-down list of options, none of which fit my issue.

Very close to closing my account - Amazon is far better for this kind of thing.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

@deepdesignau

It's probably best for you to contact eBay by using the "Call Me" option. I have the link in my clipboard, as I've just posted it in another thread where it will be needed.

This is the link: https://www.ebay.com.au/help/call_me

(The option is available during business hours. Now is a good time.)

If you are correct, then it would seem someone has indeed accessed your account and made a purchase. Can you see to which address the order was to be sent? (Was an alternative address added?) If not, one would be tempted to suppose that the seller of the purchased item was the one responsible for gaining access, which is possible... but it would be fruitless to jump to conclusions without evidence.

Contact eBay using that Call Me option, and select Account --> Securing your account --> Securing your account as the reason for requesting help.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

@deepdesignauwrote:

Yep, it's real. I can see the purchase in my eBay history and in my PayPal transactions.

I have already changed both my eBay and PayPal passwords.

I also unlinked my PayPal account from eBay, but this does absolutely nothing - I can still one-click purchase items without needing to log into PayPal. Ridiculous.

What's worse is that both eBay and PayPal have such awful customer service. No way to speak to a human, just a **bleep**ty drop-down list of options, none of which fit my issue.

I posted this in another thread where an item was bought by one of these scammers.

One of eBay's "brilliant" ideas has backfired due to it being an idiotic idea/decision in the first place.

The automatic log in feature when using Paypal has being hacked and it's causing all sorts of problems.

For those who use the feature and are concerned about being hacked Just go to your PP acount and select

Profile, click Security, and then edit your “Stay logged in for faster purchases” option

So as suggested you need to contact eBay as there is a change that the buyer is using a hacked account:

This gives you their direct links without having to go through their rigmarole:

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/home ,Just keep in mind that the

Call option is only available during business hours,(8 am to 9 pm Mon to Fri and

8 am to 5 pm on Sat and Sun).

The call you option is generally the best option to use.

In your case they may have hacked you eBay account as well,(there was a big problem some years back

where a similar thing happened as the account holder used the the same or similar log in details for both).

Even if yours is vastly different the first thing to do is to change your passwords and run a security scan.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply