Ebay Commiting fraud on postage charges?

I brought an Item for ~100 and postage was stated at roughly ~15

Then once I brought the item an extra 6 dollars(as a extra charge) was added for Pitney browns(A company Ebay has made an agreement with in TOS and it seems kinda shady) Stating Import duty.... which doesnt apply in Australia for items under 1000 but at anyrate.

Thats the claim...

Paypal Claims its not an unauthorised transaction despite more money being taken out of my account then the item+postage supposedly costing.

Meanwhile Ebay claims that I ONLY paid the original price on the recently brought items section leaving out the extra 6 dollars for "IMPORT" duty.

Which I provided to Paypal as evidence.

There is NOTHING on the item or in postage section for it that states an extra charge will apply.

In Ebays TOS there is a section for Pitney Browns and yet it specificly states weapons(knives) are not eligible for the service.

I contact the seller about the excess charge BEFORE they sent the item, and they ignored me and then replied Thanks for the Purchase after they had sent in a few days later(direct reply to my message it was included in the reply)

So exactly how is it legal for extra unknown, unstated charge to be applied for Pitney Browns by ebay.

Since Paypal/Ebay are the same company.. and since both take a cut.. and since Pitney Browns will obviously ALSO be providing them with a CUT.

Millions of Items a year overcharged could equal a billion dollars profit though excess charges.

Can anyone explain how its fair or honest because I sure as hell cant see it.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Ebay Commiting fraud on postage charges?

Whatever the charge it is NOT eBay impossed

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I am still puzzled by your references to Pitney Bowes.  I buy a lot from the USA and have never heard of them.  I cannot find any mention of them in the ebay help section either.

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

If you  Google Pitney Bowes and ebay all will become clear!!

Looks like the Seller decides whether to use them for overseas sales and then you are charged at checkout. - Only read the first bit so it might be a bit more complicated than that.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

tenhaem
Community Member
I can confirm the PBI fraudulent postage scam! I live in Australia, I purchased a bag, seller uses Global Post (PBI) I was slugged AU $45 for a package that WAS tampered with, in short PBI open 'your' private mail (sure that IS illegal), remove ALL protective material & shove the item into a cardboard box, then forward the package on for delivery. The 'white' (ALL PBI boxes are white) cardboard box which is inferior (damaged easily) has NO postage 'Costs' NONE! This IS because they pocket the funds saved by reducing the weight & size or original package received - i checked re protective package omitted on receiving package. YES...PBI 'illegally' opened & re packaged the item!! They ARE blatant THEIVES... Notice to ALL EBay Sellers - us USPS... Priority Services - I received package from Seller in exactly same state as sent & at &10 more... With NO damage & trackable. Unlike the package I received today!! Appalling!! Everyone should boycot Pitney Bowes! And COMPLAIN to EBay! I have!!
Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

it's TEN MONTHS. Start your own thread if you have an issue.

How do you know it was Pitney Bowes? it could well have been US or Australian Customs.

There is no obligation on you to purchase from ANY seller who uses the service. Bearing in mind that most sellers in the US probably don't even know what their signing up to the service entails. Except seller protection.

A good rule of thumb is to work out what an item is worth to you. If seller protected postage from the US fits, do it. If buying from an Australian seller and keeping the money in the Australian economy, with the consequent chance that an Australian will keep their job, so your taxes won't be going towards their dole, works, then do that.

Forgive me for having absolutely no sympathy with your first world problem.

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

under US postal laws, as a forwarding agent, Pitney Bowes (one of the largest mailing companies in the world), have the right to, in fact are required to, repack a parcel destined for overseas and prepare all paperwork

what you paid is not Customs Duty, but the preparation of Customs Declaration paperwork which is required to determine whether the duty is payable or not,

USA Global Shipping is EXPENSIVE, making buying from america an expensive exercise, and all the more reason to 'shop locally' on the net.

Unfortunately, even some usa ebay sellers are not aware of what the costs are when they send all their goods to PB for processing and onforwarding.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

I agree. This is a huge scam going on right now with international postage. I bought an item off a seller and he and i have discovered my usd30.00 postage paid was 7usd for the seller and 23usd for pitney bowes. My seller never even knew i was charged the extra 23.00 until i sent him a screen shot of may paypal account whuch clearly showed seller got the 7 and pitney bowes the 23. Seller was shocked and angry as he hsd said on his auctions please ask for best post cost. He also now realuses why his feedback was also poor on the postage even though he never knew the 300 to 400% overcharges and sneaky dishonest way ebay has got theur durty little hands in buyers pockets. Totally totally disgusting. Greedy fraudulent criminals.

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

ebays global shipping program is an absolute rippoff personly i boycott all sellers that use it some times it's triple but mostly double the standard usps shipping costs,they are also  charge customs duties that goes straight into their pockets i have been stung once with this program it will never happen again

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

mubeard
Community Member

Saw an item on 'buy it now; from a US seller that I wanted. It was on GSP withover $200 combined customs and shipping. I emailed the seller who was shocked by the fees quoted, relisted without GSP and sent directly. The item sailed straight through customs as it had been correctly marked to show VAT and duty were not applicable. Shipping cost less than $30. I will never buy through the GSP, but I will always contact US sellers to see if they will send direct.

It is quite shocking to consider the sheer volume of unjustified customs fees that must be collected daily through GSP. I wonder where it all ends up.....

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

Well folks instead of everyone running around this issue like chickens with no heads, lets just use sellers that dont have the

Import charges....simple step to take and i have already started this step. Once sellers see that sales are dropping off it will

hit home rather quickly. So stop gripping, start doing something positive on this issue......i have also been using Amazon for another avenue of purchases, working great. So for now take care out there and time to wake up a sleeping giant again.

Take back the beach folks.....

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply