Ebay plus a joke

I know it's early days, but based on what I see, there is no way in hell I'll be paying for Ebay Plus. I buy a lot and have a large watch list and have noticed that the only sellers offering it.... are those that had free shipping already! lol and of course we know there is no such thing, it's factored in to the price.

So it's all a farce to get people to pay $29, $49 after the first year to get free shipping off sellers who offered it prior to Ebay PLus anyway. Not only single seller I use who charges postage now has the Plus. And here was the Ebay chief saying they were doing it to increase online shopping. Yeah whatever dude....

Message 1 of 127
Latest reply
126 REPLIES 126

Ebay plus a joke

I'm on the free trial now.

I have a big concern about the program:

ALL items listed should be eligible for the program. Not <1% of items; that is ridiculous.

I like the idea of not paying for postage AND not having to regret buying stuff with the free returns.

The double Flybuy points are OK.

But with only <1% of items being eBay plus, it isn't worth it for me to be on this program.

If they can make the program somehow cover 100% of items, I'm in, to me that is a great deal.

Hey, at least if they can get it to cover 100% of items, we can eliminate being overcharged for postage, which has been going on since eBay's incepction.

I just had a look btw at eBay Germany (the only other eBay in the world with eBay Plus.)

It has exactly the same problem, less than 1% of the items on sale are eligible for the program.

So, we can be pretty sure that the problem wont be fixed any time soon.

Message 41 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

It was obvious from the minute it was announced that the only person to benefit from ebay plus was going to be ebay themselves.

They are going to make very sure that it is only going to be available on items where they will have very minimal exposure to paying out any of their own funds.

My first reaction when it was announced was that ebay had run out of ideas to fleece sellers so now they were going after buyers.

Nothing I have seen since it actually started has made me change my mind.

Free returns is not something I would ever have any use for......I don't buy unless I am sure I want the item and if an item is damaged in the mail (very rarely) I have never had a problem with the seller either not wanting the item returned or paying the return postage.

Message 42 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

@kaibacorp* wrote:

I have a big concern about the program:

ALL items listed should be eligible for the program. Not <1% of items; that is ridiculous.

That would require eBay forcing all sellers to accept change of mind returns, which they can not legally (or even ethically, IMO) do in Australia. eBay is very unlikely to volunteer to pay return freight on large, heavy items that need to be shipped by couriers, either (which are explicitly excluded in the program already). At least not for a measly $49 a year. 

I maintain eBay Plus should be opt-in on the seller's part, not have it be forced on their items with no choice in the matter (if it was, I would opt out immediately, without a second thought). We've already established that cancellations cost the seller something - so do returns, even if they are not paying for the postage out of their own pocket, so the kind buying behaviour that a listing attracts, and the return options available on a seller's items should 100% be up to them. 

Message 43 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

@kaibacorp* wrote:

I can't agree with that. We as the buyers don't have the right to impose those conditions on sellers. It seems to me that forcibly opting sellers into the program is ridiculous, rather than the opposite view that you espouse.

@kaibacorp* wrote:

I like the idea of not paying for postage AND not having to regret buying stuff with the free returns.

That statement worries me. Are you as the buyer not responsible for your own purchasing choices? Am I as a buyer not responsible for my own purchasing choices? Why should a seller - or even eBay (for whom I don't have any sympathy) - pick up the cost of a buyer's postage, and even worse, picking up the cost of returns? I foresee horrendous problems with this setup, engendering or furthering the idea that buyers can spend, spend, spend without anything to make them stop and think, "Do I really want this?" What's to stop people buying a designer item for the races, and sending it back (without even having to cough up postage) after wearing it for the occasion?

Frankly - it's ludicrous.

@kaibacorp* wrote:
The double Flybuy points are OK.

It's irrelevant for me. I don't have Flybuys, and have no intention of having it. I don't agree to my information being given to third parties. Personal privacy matters to me, and I don't understand why so many people are so willing to give away so much information about themselves and leave themselves vulnerable to exploitation.

@kaibacorp* wrote:[...] we can eliminate being overcharged for postage, which has been going on since eBay's incepction.

Being overcharged for postage? That may have been an issue in the past, but ever since eBay began charging sellers final value fees on the postage/shipping component, it's a non-issue.

If buyers don't like the actual cost of posting an item, why not take it up with Australia Post? Request an opt-in Australia Post Plus account where AP delivers your items for free.

But that's not going to happen... because AP don't deliver for free (except where obliged to by law, as with delivering Chinese mail), need to make a profit (although I think they're doing very nicely indeed on that front), and if you - as the buyer - don't pay for the postage, do you truly think that eBay or the sellers can afford to? In eBay's case... for $49 a year?

If I sound frustrated... it's because I foresee that this is the start of changes that I believe will disadvantage buyers and sellers on eBay, reduce our options, and make the entire eBay transcaction experience more problematic in general.

Message 44 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

I just done a quick survey with the  Samsung Pro 970 ssd.

It's a pretty hot ssd on the market right now.

eBay Plus (Australia and Germany)

<1% of listings for that item are eBay Plus

Amazon Prime (America)

~70% of listings for that item are Amazon Prime

That's really what eBay are trying to do here; copy Amazon. But it seems that they can't do it.

I'm not too sure what the difference is? Maybe eBay has more Mum and Dad sellers as opposed to warehouse sellers and such?

But yeah, I can see how being forced to accept eBay plus would cause problems for regular sellers.

Message 45 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

"do you truly think that eBay or the sellers can afford to? In eBay's case... for $49 a year?"

Amazon have managed it somehow, and I believe if eBay don't act soon Amazon will fully roll out here in Australia and then there will be little chance for eBay. If I'm not mistaken, Amazon has crushed eBay in the US.

As far as the returns go. The major problem with online shopping as I'm sure many will realise is that we cannot examine the physical items.

It's not as if I'm someone who can't make up their mind or has some kind of problem. The problem is lack of information about the product due to the online format. That's why I think the free returns are a great idea.

There might be better ways to go about it, such as projected 3D images, but we are some time away from that...

Message 46 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

I find it strange how many buyers say they have been overcharged for postage when the amount is clearly shown. What they need to say is I over paid for postage as it is not like getting a bill from a mechanic for fixing your car because you failed to get a quote first.

Message 47 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

@kaibacorp* wrote:

"do you truly think that eBay or the sellers can afford to? In eBay's case... for $49 a year?"

Amazon have managed it somehow, and I believe if eBay don't act soon Amazon will fully roll out here in Australia and then there will be little chance for eBay. If I'm not mistaken, Amazon has crushed eBay in the US.

As far as the returns go. The major problem with online shopping as I'm sure many will realise is that we cannot examine the physical items.

It's not as if I'm someone who can't make up their mind or has some kind of problem. The problem is lack of information about the product due to the online format. That's why I think the free returns are a great idea.

There might be better ways to go about it, such as projected 3D images, but we are some time away from that...

There's a really big difference between Plus and Prime, with eBay doing nothing logistical with the post-sale process, and Amazon doing everything (AFAIK).

On ebay, for the time being*, individual sellers all hold and dispatch their own stock (I will leave out dropshippers here for the sake of ease). With Prime, the vast majority of eligible items are shipped to Amazon's own distribution centres, then packed, dispatched and delivered by Amazons own network. (The other key difference is that sellers have to volunteer their items to do that, and physically ship their inventory to A's warehouse, thus they can work all of their costs into their prices - that is, when a seller is fully prepared to offer such service standards, they charge for it, "free" is not quite an illusion, but something that is genuinely free in ecommerce is so darn rare that it has unicorns and fairies as best friends)

There's an economy of scale involved in things like this. One eBay seller sending out 100 parcels a week is absolutely nothing compared to Amazon sending out packages on behalf of thousands of sellers a day. The eBay seller may be able to access some minor postage discounts with an Australia Post contract, and in their market they might also be able to afford to price their items competitively while offering buyers certain service standards, but Amazon's costs would be significantly reduced by sheer volume, and investing in their own infrastructure / delivery network. 

As a seller, I actively want to reduce instances of impulse purchases - many ecommerce sites / sellers want to do the opposite, and I guess that's their choice, but I really don't want people purchasing on a whim purely because it doesn't matter to them if they don't want to keep it afterall. Yes, I accept change of mind returns, I think that's an important option to provide if it's needed, but I don't want it being used as a crutch for impulse buying, or otherwise bad purchase decisions. Encouraging people with this kind of "don't think, don't worry, just buy! Spend money now!" approach is a recipe for disaster. 

If you ask Amazon sellers who have opted into Prime, most  (in not all) of them will have many stories about buyers who do things like use it for free hire of products (thus the seller doesn't get back a saleable item), or they buy several of the one product (maybe in different colours and / or sizes) try them on at home and pick out the ones they like best, then send all but one back at the seller's expense. Both you and I are already paying for buyers to have that privilege when we purchase from a seller who chooses to offer such things. 

Me, I'd like to keep my prices low, and my buyers making carefully considered decisions. Not being able to see or touch an item is a concession of online purchasing - if people want all of the convenience but none of the concessions, they will need to be preapred to pay a lot more for the products they purchase online, moving forward. 

*eBay are apparently setting up distribution centres, so a few things might change on that front in the coming months, depending on how many sellers find this option appealing or workable.

Message 48 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

@digital*ghost wrote:
I really don't want people purchasing on a whim purely because it doesn't matter to them if they don't want to keep it afterall. Yes, I accept change of mind returns, I think that's an important option to provide if it's needed, but I don't want it being used as a crutch for impulse buying, or otherwise bad purchase decisions. Encouraging people with this kind of "don't think, don't worry, just buy! Spend money now!" approach is a recipe for disaster.

Yes. Precisely, exactly, indubitably.

Free returns, if offered, ought never to be there as a way to make buyers more careless in their reading of descriptions, examining of photos, and measuring of self - among other things.

Message 49 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

"Being overcharged for postage? That may have been an issue in the past, but ever since eBay began charging sellers final value fees on the postage/shipping component, it's a non-issue."

Sometimes I sell on eBay too. I noticed not too long ago eBay started doing that; attaching fees for postage costs.

But, this causes what I would decibe as something illogical because if the postage costs are indeed the postage costs then how can eBay possibly attach fees to them?

Therefore, postage costs are not postage costs anymore, they are something differently entirely.

They are now postage costs + eBay's fees.

Message 50 of 127
Latest reply