Ebay plus a joke

I know it's early days, but based on what I see, there is no way in hell I'll be paying for Ebay Plus. I buy a lot and have a large watch list and have noticed that the only sellers offering it.... are those that had free shipping already! lol and of course we know there is no such thing, it's factored in to the price.

So it's all a farce to get people to pay $29, $49 after the first year to get free shipping off sellers who offered it prior to Ebay PLus anyway. Not only single seller I use who charges postage now has the Plus. And here was the Ebay chief saying they were doing it to increase online shopping. Yeah whatever dude....

Message 1 of 127
Latest reply
126 REPLIES 126

Ebay plus a joke

My understanding was that if a seller was happy to take returns they qualified for ebay plus. Therefore having some listings which always had free postage as Plus, then leaving the postage items as before seemed scammy. But I didn't realise that ebay was choosing listings vs sellers.

So I'll rephrase - it's ebay that's scammy. They are deliberately choosing listings that are already free anyway and also aren't asking the seller.

Message 31 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

@countessalmirena wrote:

Or that nosy person providing radioactive material Mr Schrödinger and watching on as a cat is entombed alive within a steel chamber...

But how do you know it's alive?...

Message 32 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

I don't... and it's an ever-present torment. It all comes down to a single one of these: atom2.gif

Truly, such a dilemma! If the cat's alive and I don't open the chamber, then sooner or later the cat will die of starvation. So I have to open the chamber at some point to feed it. If I do open up the door to feed it, its potential life might be snuffed out like a cat-shaped candle. The guilt would kill me. I'd feel impelled to dive off the edge of a mist-wreathed cliff to the haunting strains of a melancholy cello, with the vague plot suggestion that I might just catch up to the last life of the cat before it hits rock bottom, and zoom back up again to bring a happy ending to the story.

Or... it's splat.

Message 33 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

That's the difference, I suppose.

If there was any chance my opening the tomb would bring about the death of the moggie, I'd open it in a flash. After ensuring I was wearing a radiation suit.

So the pic is light helium? A gamma-stripped one?

Message 34 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

I would class it more as a two-electron atom, which fits nicely into the whole Schrödinger scenario.

Schrödinger-equation-for-2-electron-system.jpg

Message 35 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

@lyndal1838 wrote:

If you read the boards you will see that ebay is putting the Plus on listings....not the sellers.

This made me think of one aspect of ebayplus I don't think I have seen mentioned. Blocking.

Because ebay is choosing which listings have ebayplus, that means that not every seller who has it added is going to be rapt.

Okay, so ebay will pick up the return postage tab.

But that's not the real point (to me).

The point is that by ebay pushing this new, you beaut ebay plus, I'd say many buyers are going to think it's fine to buy whatever they like under the ebayplus banner & just return it after they have a look at it if it isn't exactly right. They will be more willing to take a risk, put it that way. No more asking a seller, no more having to open a return request & wonder if it will or won't be allowed. It's guaranteed on those items, right.

The problem with that is it's a guaranteed right on the part of the buyer to do that.

But what if a seller isn't particularly happy. Perhaps they get a customer who returns 2 or 3 things in a row. Sure, the seller isn't coughing up the return postage cost but it still puts their item out of circulation for a while & puts them to a bit of bother.

Are they able to place that buyer on their blocked list?

If they can, then I'm sure some buyers would not know that. They would be upset to find themselves blocked for doing something ebay told them they freely could.

If a seller can't block them, that's not fair on the sellers either as they may have to put up with multiple offenders.

Message 36 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

There a GOOD ONE... I bought a camera hard case and when it arrived the handle was broken. I asked seller for a replacement and the told me I would have too phone there service department... what bull.. So I left negative feedback... The next day,, the negative feedback I had left for the seller had been removed!! I spoke too someone from ebay online and I said I wasnt happy that my honest feedback had been removed and all she could say was yes I can see it has been removed and she couldnt tell me why.... SO , my question is, Is ebay protecting its powersellers by not letting them get any negative feedback!!!

Message 37 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

i would have thought contacting the service department would be the normal way to proceed.

I fail to see what this has to do with eBay Plus, which is a paid subscription service where eBay pays for the return of faulty products for selected listings.

Message 38 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

emem48
Community Member

For now it's called "ebay plus", but soon it will be "ebay standard" with no other option but to join. Just like Costco, you need a membership to shop. More American greed foisted on us.

Message 39 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

I agree. I'm changing my listings to postage separated from the item and all my items are still offering ebayplus. I get to drop my item price and ebayplus members do get free post. Also with the restocking fee gone, I wont lose any postage fees on returns.

I'm just trialing a few of my hoodies to see if it works for me.
Message 40 of 127
Latest reply